Radar binding safety

mbabiash

• Baller

With all of the new "safer" binding options coming out, I've found myself wanting to get on one of the systems.

My only hang up is that I am on vapors and I was on rs1 boots before that and have always released in all sorts of crashes with no injury or pain.

Aside from the early days when people were cranking the bungees to tight, has anyone been injured in the radar rs1,strada, or vapor versions?

I guess why change if I'm in a great system already.

• Baller

After ending 2012 season with an ATR using dbl rubber boots, I was own to selecting either Radar Strada boots (now Vapor) or Reflex with R-styld rear.

I went with @Horton 's positive views of the Strada and have been very happy with them. I have 2 pairs, and get plenty of use on both. They don't seem to wear out.

Will also consider OB4 in the future.

• Baller

A friend broke his ankle on Stradas. Top lace cinched tight. He's trying to adapt to loose top laces now.

I switched to RS1s because of an ankle issues. I replaced the lower laces with a clip - a great improvement for me. I also use a thick Intuition style liner. Helps release from the clip and feels good on the loose ankle. Radar boots solved my ankle issues.

OB4 and Gatormod are systems others with ankle problems have been happy with - but I haven't used either. Yet.

Eric

• Baller

I've had Stradas and Green Vapors. No issues. Top laces loose, bottom laces tight.

At the end of the set with laces still in place, I can easily grab the tip of the ski, pull it towards me, and my liners slide out with very little effort. This is like the Reflex Dock Release test.

I prefer to unlace most times before popping out to minimize strain on the heal sections of the outer shells. Still, I check myself every so often to see if I can release without unlacing.

• Baller
I have been on Radars (Strada / Vapor) for 5 seasons with no problems until this year. I had the front binding too tight and went out the front result was a broken ankle. Having the top laces too tight works great until it doesn't, lesson learned. I will be back on the water this weekend and I have no worries about my bindings being unsafe.

• Baller
I have been on them since the first generation Strada binding and have always released well. You can get hurt on anything though so even if you run your top lace loose the way you are supposed to nothing is injury proof if the wrong thing happens.

• Baller
I went on the RS1s when they first came out and have moved through the Strada version to the Vapor version, no injuries. Just don't tighten the top laces to the point that there is no elasticity left and they will release.

• Baller
No binding is completely safe. I was on RS-1s then Stradas until I hit the 3 ball and severely strained my left/rear ankle. Always kept the laces snug but not tight. Front foot came out rear foot didn't. When the ski rolled it rolled it my ankle. I've been on Reflex front with r-style rear for two years and have had no foot/leg injuries but it could still happen.

• Baller

been on RS1 (2 sest in 6 years) since the year after they came out. no issues. I've rolled my ankle in an offside OTF a few times, mostly because I did them up too tight.

I think the new boa lower laces will be a great improvement, will allow you to really snug up the lower foot and run the tops much looser.

• Baller
@gregy he was coming around the ball and ended up OTF. Very nasty injury that took him out of waterskiing all together. After having broken an ankle myself (rubber bindings), I am leary of many binding designs. You need to decide what your comfort level is for safety and make your own decision. As @Jim Neely said - No binding is completely safe.

• Supporting Member

@wawaskr I would love to hear about what makes you leery and what you guess is safer. I'm trying to really learn about binding safety and type of crashes. If you have the time/inkling, send me a private message about it.

Same for anyone else, btw. For some reason, I have a strong desire to get a lot smarter about this right now.