Water Skiing mourns one of its greatest champions – Andy Mapple 1962 - 2015

Horton

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I bought a used 6.0 I emailed him for help with setup and he went out of his to help. Skied with him for some coaching in Houston a little over a year ago. I remember talking to him about injuries and health in general and he was saying how lucky he's been. Wow what happened? Makes me sick.

• Baller
I cant believe it. Way too young. I only met him for the first time at nats last year, and he talked to me for 45 minutes about his new ski. My condolences go out to his family, and anyone who had the opportunity to meet with him. What an incredible loss.

• Baller
Wow. Can't believe it - shocking to say the least. Very sad to hear this. I only met Andy once but he was the most down to earth individual you would meet - especially considering all of his accomplishments. Very humble guy and super nice individual. You will be missed Andy. Thoughts and prayers to his family!

• Baller

We have lost the "John Lennon" of water skiing. We will all remember where we were when we learned the news.

We will miss you, Andy. Thank you for all you gave to our sport.

Prayers for you and your family.

• Baller
I was lucky enough to ski with andy the last three years. It was a pleasure and an honor. I never got to drive for him but watched him wun 39.5 behind my boat and then had him sign it. The Mapple days at my lake will be cherished and remembered forever. My prayers go out to the family.

• Baller_

Ran into him at the Orlando airport on our way back from MN in July. Had not seen him in quite a while and just assumed he wouldn't recognize me and really that was ok. I was wrong. He stopped, in what looked like a rush to catch a plane, to say hi. How many people does he meet a year and spots me in a crowd and starts talking shop with me. Told him I'd be stopping by in the fall as I was gearing up to become part of the Mapple team and family of skiers. Family seems to be a profound description of his place in the waterski world in how he conducted himself at all times with all those he's met, known and loved. Great loss.

Thoughts and our evening prayers to his family.

• Baller

I helped Andy put his gear back in his suburban at the 92 Masters. I was a 13 year old kid and he was my idol. I just asked him if I could give him a hand and he let me, and talked to me like I was just a regular old friend. I saw him a couple years ago when I was skiing with Jodi at Andy's lake. I was a 35 year old kid and he was my idol. The guy never knew my name, and it never stopped him from treating me like an old friend.

I'm sad, and I'm praying

• Baller
Wow, that is awful. I've been on a 6.0 for a few years and just got a T2. The whole time I could send him emails for set up help or tips and he'd always respond. Never got to meet him, always wanted to. A true hero to the skiing community.

Ugh. So sad to hear.

My wife and I recently stayed at Ski Sunset Ranch with an Australian couple who get coaching from Andy whenever they're in Orlando for business. They had nothing but great things to say about him. He's celebrity status in my eyes. I never met him but he will be missed.

• Administrators
There are not really any details to be told. He was found in is truck at the lake. The rest is unknown and I do not see how it matters. A huge loss to the sport. He was the GOAT.

• Baller

Andy Mapple was the most amazing athlete and human being that I have ever known! His contribution to Nautique boats, O'Brien, Radar, and Mapple skis has shaped our industry. His talents and ideas have been emulated and admired by the world. He leaves behind a legacy that we will always remember. It is with a heavy heart that I have lost my coach, my mentor, my friend, Andy Mapple! He even spent time training me right before each Nationals and came down on Friday to West Palm to cheer me on. That is the kind of man he was to everyone! For those of you that were lucky enough to have known him, you will agree that the world lost a giant!! His love of God, Family, and People was unprecedented! He put others first always and always tried to do the right thing even when no one else was looking. He had more integrity, honesty, and compassion than anyone I had ever met. I always admired and looked up to him and feel honored that he considered me a friend. I will miss him daily and will always be skiing in his memory!! My prayers go out to Deena, Michael, and Elyssa. The skiing community was his family: We all benefited by the life of Andy Mapple!

• Baller

Sad. Reeling here in tx. Bound to hear countless tales of affected people that never met Andy, but are moved all the same. Really,however, his legend was trumped only by the individual. Even if u never met him, u were in awe as we, his friends and competitors were. He possessed a spirit of life and competition that I'd never seen and somehow managed to exceed expectation.

The greatest, a legend, a friend and a mentor.

Thanks Andy.

TF

Andy was a truly amazing man and individual. I met him years ago, and saw him again a couple years ago, he may not have remembered my name, but he remembered me. A great man on and off the water. I am truly hurt by this news. I don't understand why this happens to the good people I know. You will be missed Andy. God speed and have fun carving up the water in Heaven.

Very sad news. Andy inspired skiers to push themselves to greater heights and inspired industry leaders to constantly strive to develop better equipment for those skiers. I didn't know Andy well. I only met him a couple times, but being in the industry, you'd feel his presence everywhere. I don't think a week has ever gone by that I haven't had a conversation with someone about Andy's accomplishments on the water or about a new project he was working on off the water. My heart goes out to the Mapple family and the entire watersports community. Some big shoes to fill.

C. Gleason

• Baller

Tremendous loss. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. I barely knew him and was/am very happy to have had a few good conversations with him over the last few years. Even got to ski head to head with him last year and as expected he smoked me. Andy, thank you for all the inspiration you have provided as you achieved so much as a skier and beyond. Definitely the GOAT3umtny8mxvoz.jpg

• Baller
On his way to the starting dock at Moomba 10+ years ago, he made the time to look up and say hello to me. Pretty amazing to be part of a sport where your idol is so approachable. What a legend, what a loss. Skiing with him was on my bucket list.

• Baller
One of the most down to earth nicest guys I have ever met. Also one of my skiing idols growing up, when I finally got to meet him at Paradise Lakes at nationals in 06 demoing the Radar MPD I was so nervous I couldn't talk. Like many of you said he talked to everyone like an old friend as he did to me that day when I was 13. He will be greatly missed not only with his tremendous talent on the water but his awesome personality and love and passion of the sport off the water! He truly was the GOAT!

• Baller

I just found out today that a friend of mine , Jim Bede, who designed the Jet I flew in Airshows, that is in my picture here, suddenly died of a heart attack..Then 10 mins. later I found out about Andy...I just can't believe this..I've known Andy since 1998 and he has always been since an inspiration...He designed my boat for me that I currently have..I ski on one of his skis..He taught me so much about ZO, and all I can think about every time I ever skied with him is him saying "You Need to Lean More."..I live 10 mins from his Lake..It seems like yesterday when my Daughter and I skied and had lunch with him..I have never known a better Human Being than Andy in my life..His son Mike is also one of the very best people you could ever meet and had become so involved with his Dad's business, and they had really become close..I really feel so bad for his loss that I can't even explain it.

God Bless him and his Family, and I am so proud to have ever known Andy..There will never be another one like him in my mind, ever...Just to be in His presence was a Gift !!!!

I met Andy in 1980 at Liz Allan's training centre in Florida. Watching my 17 year old coach (I was 18) passing 38off then was something I will never forget. I went back to skiing only many years later, enough to start competing, and 34 years later (2014) I skied with Andy in the same tournament in France and watched him win by passing 39 off in strong wind and rain - the most exciting pass I have ever seen. Had a chance to work with him on his new skis and was proud to have helped the genius himself. We wanted so much more Andy! All that can be said now is - thank you for being a part of our lives, for showing us what greatness in sport and in life is. Now while you are competing and laughing on your new planet, let us do what we can for your family and let us help continue your legacy!

• Baller

I am in total shock. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

He was coming over to compete in the 35+ Europeans which was being held at our club in the UK next week. He put a lot of effort and support into it when he found out that the comp was going to be held in the UK. I am absolutely gutted that he won't be there to compete because the feeling I got was that he was very excited about coming over and we were all in awe that he was coming to our club. Sadly I never met him, but considering his status within water skiing; from what I heard and have read on here, what an unbelievably approachable and engaging person he was with anyone who wanted to tap into his knowledge. He saw one of the promo videos for next week's comp which contained mainly me skiing and he commented how good it looked!! I think he was commenting on the video overall and not just my skiing ;). I was made up that he had made that comment though. I never met the guy and yet he still saw me ski and made a positive comment. If only other sports stars of that calibre were the same. This word gets used far too often but he was an absolute legend. RIP Andy.

• Baller

So sad, tremendous loss for his family, friends and the entire waterski community.

Visited his office/lake in 2013 without making an appointment (just made a call passing through Orlando).

He was tied up with another appointment but had Aidan setting me up with a demo 6.0.

He still took the time from a busy schedule to come down to the lake and say hello and have a chat.

So friendly and approachable guy it is hard to comprehend how big a waterski legend he is.

That ski is in my locker at the club.

• Baller
Rest in peace, my friend! Thank you for spending your precious time trying to help a lousy skier like me, thank you for being the example you are for all of us, thank you for being the humble and lovely person you are, thank you for signing my XT, thank you for being the GOAT!!!!

• Baller

Very sadden by this news. I never had the honour of meeting him but still feel like I lost someone I have known for a long time. I grew up with pictures of him cut out from Water Ski Mag on my wall and in my locker at school. I am from Canada, not having a picture of Gretzky or Messier was unheard of, Mapple belongs right along side all the other sport greats of the last 25-30 years, Gretzky, Jordan, water skiing has lost its Great one.

• Baller
When I was around 13 years old (late 80s), I had a celebrity sighting (at least a celebrity in our world). I saw Andy at the Henry Ford museum in Michigan. I think he was surprised to be recognized outside of the backdrop of waterskiing. Nothing but gracious and good to my brother and I. Skied in a few other clinics with him since, but that meeting sticks out in my head. Gonna ride the old Sixam tomorrow.

• Baller

What a tremendous person and skier. I was fortunate enough to be able to work for Andy when he briefly rand a ski school in the mid 1990's. I can't say we were friends, I was always too much in awe of him to even think of him that way. That was of course my perception only. He was always open, humble, and generous in all aspects. From all I saw over the years he was a strong Christian, great father, wonderful person, and oh yeah... the best of all time.

Condolences to the Mapple family.