CHECK YO $#!T

skidawg

• Baller

I would like to put up a little reminder thread for all the ballers out there. First I should say....yes I am a retard. Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery. Little brief history....week before Nats' on the '16 vapor, I was skiing extremely well and looking forward to a chance to run some bouys with the MM boys and possibly medal. Looking back I recall my ski slipping out of my hand and hitting the ground (only about a 6" drop). This was just before nats while I was packing my ski. Nats was definately sub par (2@39). Ski felt loose on offside- just wouldn't turn. Came home and tried a new boot set up, ski just felt different, I chalked it up to a different binding set up. Cottonwood tourney sat and Sunday, I switched back to old faithful boots and figured all would be well, Missed 39 round 1. Meh!!!!!! Frustration. Thank goodness Springs asked what numbers I was running- took out the calipers and checked it. Fin was short and shallow (perfect little adjustment from a drop on hard ground). It all makes sense now. Put the fin back to stock settings and proceeded to run 3@41 last round Saturday. Sunday was even better with a 2, 1.5 & 4 @ 41. Now I will say that the conditions were as close to perfect as they have ever been @cottonwood (95 air/85 water) and the Centurion was running both days-so everyone was killing it. Any way to sum it up nice and neat: Hello My name is Ward and I'm a total RETARD well on my way to 12 bouys of recovery. Looking forward to the rest of the fall tournaments on the new Vapor. Also looking forward to the BOS handicapped in October. Don't be a RETARD-Check Yo $#!T!

p.s. If you haven't entered the BOS cash prize tourney, get in while you still can. I need more people to help me make fun of @horton all weekend.

• Baller

Hello: My name is Jeff... I told Trent it is a struggle to run 28 and 32.. I am just working way toooo hard. Trent said did you check your fin??? It was the longest and deepest Trent had ever measured. I too am in a 12 bouy recovery program. Thanks Dawg for giving me the courage to tell my story. I just thought I was a dumb 3 eventer..

Jeff

Wish I could ski the BOS but I have annual company meeting that weekend. Tina will be there to help you out.

• Baller
Bumped my fin on Sat hopping onto the floating dock. I didn't check it, just went out and skied. Tied my PB off the dock (practice). I guess I may have been a little too deep, eh? Maybe I should just tighten the fin clamp screws and keep it right here... ;-)

• Baller
New ski. 5 sets into it, and things aren't going as well as the first couple of awesome sets. I asked @skidawg for advice. Checked my fin. It was off from my initial settings. They are reset and I can't wait to give them a go tomorrow. Also, noticed that the fin block mounting screws (the ones that mount the block to the ski tail) were a bit loose. Tightened those up, too. So, yep, check often and check the block, too.

• Baller

Every year some A-hole posts, on this one or another thread just like it, to check your settings often. This year, I’m the proud owner of that distinction. I’ve been struggling to get through some passes I run, one with ease. I posted a decent tournament score, for me, at the first tournament of the year, so didn’t think much of it, until last weekend, I bombed a tournament, not running my every day practice opener. I was so bummed, I came home and checked my fin settings. It was off by a couple thousandths in length, a few in depth, maybe 1 or 2 in DFT. Nothing big, but maybe all together, enough to make a difference. I reset it and ran a set that was better, but still not what I’m happy with. This morning I took my tape out and measured distance from FB to Tail. Whoa, I’m way off. Oh yeah, I took this plate off my other ski and I put that new 840 release on this plate and on my other ski. I don’t remember ever checking the distance. Put it back to where it’s supposed to be, even is marked on my Mikro-just. This evening, straight up the line.

Check yo $#!t. It works

• Baller
What @dchristman said! A couple of years ago an apparent loose front wing screw came out causing my wing to drop 90° during a 35 off pass. Result? A two nights hospital stay for a collapsed lung!

• Baller

Also, check your friends (equipment). The plastic underliner on an old CX shows where one of our new guys had been riding it. For novice skiers, setting their ski up for them, properly, after an initial horrible setup, is pretty eye-opening.

MIDDLE HOLE IS NOT A SETTING. In this case, a Radar Vector on an HO CX at “middle hole” was more than 1/2” backward of stock. That’s a mile.

hjhk8v1m8tlg.jpeg

• Baller

aa2ohr6scz86.jpeg

I'm LFF. Could this be causing me to go OTF on my 1/3/5 side turn? Had a bad fall at 3 that ended my day yesterday and then 1st pass today at 1 ball. Didn't notice it til after my last crash... so as a reminder, Check Yo $#it before you ski.