Boat Comparison (LX, TXI, 196)

Glock

• Baller

Pondering a new tug, coming off of a 2004 197. I have been looking at several boats over this past summer trying to find the right one. Considering a malibu LX or 196 with ZO as they seem to be in the price range, and dreaming about a sub 30K txi or 200.

I have never skied behind an LX. Can someone lend some advice on the wakes and drivability of the LX vs some of the others.

Lastly, am I dreaming thinking I might find a sub 30K txi or 200 open bow?

• Baller_

The LX will be the fastest of the 3 with the equivalent HP engine, have a slightly harder wake than the 196, and somewhat comparable to the TXi wake. The LX wake will be low/flat and good at all line lengths. For drivability, the later LX will have the adjustable tab on the rudder to fine tune the rudder torque without grinding. But, an LX needs to be more carefully balanced than the other two boats. It is more susceptible to bad weighting and that affects its drivability the most. You would want a 2009 LX to get ZO, though some retrofit might be possible back to 2007.

The 2015 TXi drives great, but is out of your price range. The new motor location improved the tracking.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Thanks for the input. The 196 is my favorite, used to have a '99 and loved it. I have to talk the wife out of an open bow, she loved our 197. That said, a 196 is a real possibility.

I have seen some txi's and 200's in the low 30k range. A txi recently was on ski-it-again for 32.5 for about 2 days. Maybe a higher hour one in the winter might touch 30k? Just hoping and praying here. Thanks be to god, amen.

• Baller

I have a 2002 LX that we have had since it was new. It still drives and skis great. I know there is a lot of 196 love here and I drive and ski behind a 196 regularly and I don't feel a huge difference. That said if ZO is in the equation ZO equipped LXs are very rare and you will probably struggle to find a ZO equipped LXI at that price.

I feel the LX performs more similarly to a 196 the LXI feels bigger to me when driving it and I don't like the seating position as much. That seating position was fixed in the TXI.

• Baller
You can put zero off in the lx back to 2007. We currently use a 08 with zero off. I prefer the wake to the nautiques but that's my opinion. If I was buying a boat for a public lake I would be happier with the malibu. If I was buying one for a private lake I would go with a nautique

• Baller
This TXI may be worth a look: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221874037386 At first glance it appears to be a scam( LX listed but its a TXI, SC registration, no trailer, 500 hours with no speed control), but it does appear to be listed by Tony's Berkshire Boats in MA. I contacted them via eBay today. Its only 3 hours from my office and a friend has a trailer I could borrow to pick it up, I wish I had $30k to take a swing at it. Good luck in your search.

• Baller
@vtjc, that TXI on ebay just sold for 27K. I shed a tear on that one. If it wasn't clear across the country from me, I would have taken a stab at that on too. So with a new trailer, that boat just went for 30k. It can be done.

• Baller
I've recently switched from an excellent 2004 LXi with 400 hours to a 2005 6L 196 with ZO - For slalom there is no comparison, the 196 is a long way in front. As an all round boat the LXi comes back into the equation but you can't have ZO on the older LXi's which is a deal breaker for me.

• Baller

It appears the ’12 TXI is still available in MA. I had bid on ebay and the top bidder couldn’t finance it, so they offered it to me. I don’t have the money, but I hope somebody can research it and get a good deal on a boat. Contact the dealer for more info:

relisted http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Malibu-Response-Wakeboard-Ski-Boat-No-Reserve-/221883773563

Tony's Berkshire Boats

483 W Housatonic St, Pittsfield, MA 01201

(413) 443-6475

It lacks a trailer, but has a tower. I briefly talked to the shop about it lacks a stereo, but they claim its very clean.

• Baller
Oh man, this is killing me. I wish it was closer. It looks like the transom is beat up somewhat and the pad on the platform is pealing off. But other than that it looks good. I figure with a trailer and shipping, that boat would cost me another 6k.

• Baller

@vtjc I was the top bidder on this boat and the seller is a total sleaze bag. Took my trailer

and drove 3 hours yesterday to go pick it up. He told us the boat was leased by him to a camp

and only driven by one driver. I told him they should fire the driver or teach him how to drive.

My 2005 LXI is in way better shape this thing has tons of scratches and dings pictures look better than actual condition. The interior was in better shape than the exterior. The scratches

did not scare me away they are only cosmetic and the price was real good. So we put it in the water for a test drive and the thing is leaking water big time from the block around the freeze

plugs they had silicone or some similar product on the block trying to stop the leaks obviously

some one knew there was a problem. Since the boat had no trailer and they serviced it I am sure they must of not winterized it in time and the block froze. I know we get some long winters up here but it has not frozen yet and I am sure they drove it all summer leaking like a sieve. Also around 2000 RPMS the block had a banging noise coming from it. The owner is a dealer by the way and said he did not know about the problem highly unlikely and the sleaze bag certainly does know and he has it relisted on E_Bay for more money saying its fully serviced and in excellent shape he never even changed the oil and it was down at least a quart. I love his story about me not getting financed I had the cash with me to buy it. The crazy thing is this AH has a 100% feedback rating on Ebay.

• Baller
Wow! Thanks a ton! You probably saved me a some major disappointment. I was thinking about taking a shot at it as well accept it would have been a 18 hr drive each way for me. Did you low ball him after knowing the real condition of the boat? Probably best to just walk away. We are in same situation. I have an 03 lxi looking to get into a txi or 200. It looked like a good deal. If u ever find yourself in Minneapolis look me up for a pull.

• Baller

@Glock @Rivvy Ebay is definitely going to here about it especially since he relisted it as being

in excellent shape. Rivvy I did low ball him (I would have rather punched him in the head but did not want to get arrested and I still thought there might be a chance however slim that he did not know about the problem. He certainly knows now and is trying to find some sucker who buys it sight unseen or knows nothing about engines and does not notice the leaking.) needless to say he

did not take the low ball offer.

• Baller

I don't know @vtjc but I thought he had made a lower bid that he could afford and the seller contacted him and offered it at the price that won the bid after @MichaelGoodman rightfully chose not to close the deal and @vtjc couldn't afford that price.

I do hope there is a way to alert eBay bidders that the boat is not as advertised.

• Baller
I am not the seller. I bid on it initially, but it went above the amount I had to spend after factoring in a trailer and ZO. @MichaelGoodman sorry I brought this to your attention and you wasted a trip to see it. I can understand your frustration. I wish I had taken the time last week to look at it to save others the hassle. Thanks for posting what you found on here. It seemed like a summer camp boat, with highish hours and no speed control. Sucks the seller wasn’t straight with either of us.