The Wake Tractor is Ski Tractor next?

rodltg2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

To really revolutionize ski boats, design an engine that fits completely under the floor to provide the interior seating layout of a v-drive with the balance, weighting, and wake of a direct drive.

Instead of a 90 degree V8, make it a 180 degree inline 8 with four cylinders each side and a profile that is about a foot high. The whole deal basically lies flat under the current floorboard in the middle of the boat and no motor box.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

We use our Carbon Pro like a tractor. I started calling it a tractor 3 years ago. We put 600hrs per year on a boat and the current CP has 1,100 hours. We work it hard and its holding up great.

The price differential on wake boats leaves more room for a low cost alternative, cool idea

• Baller

I like that it is an innovative way to get people on the water. Some people like to buy new. It would be interesting to see if they come out with a ski version with ZO.

We have used the term tractor with our boats for a while. I have a 2002 Malibu LX and it is in good shape for a 13 year old boat but it has definitely hit tractor status. I would love ZO but I am way off the upgrade curve.

• Baller

I love the center driver position! I also like how all the other seats are setup in a way to allow them to be easily changed from front facing to rear facing.

What I don't understand is why it has to be so short, squatty, and ugly. If it was $20k-$25k and threw a good wakeboard wake, I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to overlook the low seating capacity and hideous looks. But $40k....no. I'm sure it could be closer to $35k if they got rid of the stupid touchscreen and just used a standard cruise instead of ZO.

My understanding is the whole concept of this boat was to appeal to the younger generation that wakeboards and wakesurfs and I applaud them for that. The 18-25 year old crowd who actually want these giant V-drive boats obviously can't afford the $150k+ boats coming out now. The people who do buy the $150k+ are much older with kids and they want all the luxury features imaginable so they can take their family and their friends family out on the lake to go tubing in style and comfort. It's a sad fact but an incredibly true fact that the majority of boats these days are built for people who don't use them the way they're meant to be used. This boat is designed with a single purpose and despite it's looks, this is the kind of thing we need if the middle class is ever going to be able to buy a new boat!

• Baller
After reading the Mastercraft forum on this, I don't think it looks as bad as the pictures shown in the first post and I agree with @wish that I don't think it would look bad in the water which is wear it's supposed to be. I really hope it takes off. We need companies who are willing to tailor products to what we need and not what we think we want. It sounds like a dumb concept but it's what the entire automotive industry does.

• Baller

Center line drive is something I, and I'm sure other ballers, have pondered many times as well.

I applauded Bryant for not only thinking outside the box but actually have the balls to produce this.

Could lead to current tug manufacturers revisiting what is practical and possible.

• Baller_
Believe it or not but Bryant boats have been featured in WSM boat buyers guides in the past. And they were not DD boats. However, they must have felt their boats were water ski worthy and may have always aspired to jump in the fray of DDs. Maybe that time is now for them.

• Baller
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens to molds of old, but still awesome boats? Like a early to mid 90s ProStar for example. Are any of these still out there, or even better yet, available to purchase? It seems like that might be a way to create a new ski tractor, but from a proven hull.

• Administrators

@ejj is that sarcasm?

What Mr Dorton is doing is fantastic for the sport. If these new products lower the cost of entry & apply pressure to the other manufacturers it is good for all the consumers in wake and slalom arenas.

• Baller

@DanE sorry that was a dumb response by me. I'm not sure what you mean by center-drive. If you mean inboard, there are laws about protection from the prop for surfing. It's still a V drive with the engine in the back like a standard wake boat, vs a direct drive like a course ski boat with the engine in the middle of the boat.

It's an interesting entry to the market--I see it also biting into the PWC market--some people have almost 30k into two PWC might look at something like this--still relatively easy to store and tow. But it can surf and wakeboard well.

7ossttzsxvgx.jpg

hn9gu59infj9.jpg

bil4atop0u5y.jpg