The Wake Tractor is Ski Tractor next?

rodltg2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
It's almost like it digs a hole more then throws a wake up. @supersonicis show me a current wake boat that is a pain to see over the bow. It is strange that no one has really been able to design a wake boat that doesn't to the nose high thing. I think it would be a selling point in safety.

• Baller

The surf boats rely on stern to bow angle to get a wave with the right push. Adding weight in the th boat makes the wave bigger, but you need to maintain the proper angle--that's why you add to both the front and the back. Thus nearly any boat that is surfing is going to have a high bow attitude.

The Volvo forward drive is an interesting idea, but it negates some of the stern drive advantages like getting the prop way up away from super shallow shoals. It will need a special trailer like an inboard. But the steering and holeshot on those duoprop or bravo 3 boats is AWESOME.

• Baller

I'll be curious to hear who the target market is. Currently it seems like there isn't much demand for the cheap non usaw boat - gekko. And outside of that people are either in the new big 4 boat every few years or the my ancient nautique is the best thing ever built crowd.

Doesn't seem like there is enough ski boat market for a "ski tractor"

• Baller

I actually see a good safety point to the center seated drive on a surf specific boat. Visibility is actually improved as you have the same amount of hull between you and the water when looking from the drivers seat. Also in the pictures of the Wake Tractor on the water I think the bow is below the line of sight for the driver so the nose high attitide isn't as big of a deal as it looks.

Regarding marketability of a ski tractor, I think a big decline in the sport is due to the price of entry. ZO boats are only a few years old and I don't see many much below $30k used. Don't even get me started on the price of these wake generating behemoths, even the 20 footers are freaking expensive.

I applaud Bryant for trying something different to grow water sports in general.

• Baller

I'm sure you could put the driver at the bow in a wakeboard/wakesurf boat so they can always see over but I see two major flaws with this.... First and foremost, if you're in the bow of a wakeboard boat, how are you supposed to look at the hot girls in the bow? Second, the bow is about the most uncomfortable place to ride in a boat.

Design plus...putting the driver in the front might help joe noob realize that a powerturn where you circle back on your own wake is massively uncomfortable and swamps you.

• Baller
I am not sure a center drive is a great idea for a slalom tug. If you have a driver and an observer in the boat the boat is going to be unbalanced if the driver is in the middle and the observer is on one side. If the observer is in the nose it is harder to watch the skier through the driver not to mention it leaves the driver to change the rope between passes.

• Baller

Driver in center pushed right up into the nose with observer behind him. With a seat on either side of observer. If you have 1,2,3 or 4 people you can always balance the load.

With the extra bow weight this creates you may be able to get away with a (gasp) v-drive configuration as the added bow weight would balance the boat more front to back for tracking.

• Baller

Imagination my friend...giant video screen in front of driver as camera with be following skier on this new model. Already happening with wake boats.

This new boat will not have the windshield in the same location as current boats. It will start at the nose and wrap around the sides with a bow wave deflection ridge in place to keep occupants and the interior dry. Can always find a place to locate a mirror if needed.

Thanks for all the comments. The primary intended markets for the boat are the 25-35 year old millennials, and anybody else who doesn't want to spend a lot on a wake boat. We figured out a way to make a 21' wake with a 18' boat, which explains the shape. The bottom designer is one of the original MC employees who started shaping hulls with Rob back in the late 60's and came to work here with me 3 years ago. The design is from Peter Granata who designed the X-series, and yes, people laughed at the pickle fork too back in the day. We use simple systems on this boat along with a great hull to build a boat that will retail for $40k plus freight and prep, on a trailer with speed control, tower, 1400lbs+ ballast, a Crusader 5.7 vdrive and music system. A few extra perks...you can tow it with smaller suvs, you can store it easier, you have 3 year new boat warranty and financing rates are lower than used boats. So far reviews from people who have actually seen and ridden the boat have been great. Every time I'm on the water or even pulling it down the road, it draws a crowd. It's a very social boat, rides dry and has clearly hit a nerve in the market place. We have received dealer interest in over 40 major US markets and a dozen countries since our launch just over 2 weeks ago. I hope you guys get a chance to ride one soon.

The Ski Tractor will have a different look, different seating layout and a lower price point. We're guessing you're going to love the power, tracking and wake on it.

• Baller
Two things struck a chord with me from the comments above. Fits easily into a garage for starters. I have a nice size, 3 car typical suburbia garage, and our 196 doesn't leave much room to spare. The second is easy to tow with a small SUV. I remember back when a buddy towed his '85 MC with a Subaru wagon. These days, one needs to spend a sum on an appropriate-sized tow vehicle, or at very least spend the bucks on the gas for one. I'm excited to see this boat.

• Baller_
That configuration of steating and center console helm and lack of windshield almost gives it and open pontoon boat feel as it appears in the vid vs still shots and no one in the boat. That helm is starting to make more sense.

• Baller_

Well, as suggested by @WakeTractor in an earlier post..."more to come re SkiTractor in the spring". Well here we are. Any news? Teases to be had? Pics? Rumors?. Have to say that the WT-1 undercutting all other wake boats by $40K+ makes me think a new player at half the cost of current tugs Is possible..?? Hopefully the driver of a SkiTractor will do a bit better at looking forward.

54b61wi96ttv.jpg

4opio20ok6nb.jpg