New Connelly Binding looks interesting ...

Glydon

• Baller

@Chef23 in keeping with the Connelly tradition of tall boots I agree they are tall. @Bill22 that is what I noticed in my original post was the "elimination" of most of the plate material so by design they have to let the ski flex more. I would love to try a pair of them , my current rubber bindings are not setup to release so it is a non-issue for me. After a front out, back in fall I have worn my bindings SUPER tight as I would rather fall with the entire ski still attached!

• Baller

@richarddoane If they don't have a removable heat molded liner, I don't think you can say they are a copy just because both are a hybrid closed toe boot.

By just looking at a photo it's hard to make an option. We don't know what the frame is like or how stiff they are.

• Baller

A little more info...probably more than you'd like :)

The new Sync bindings and free flex tech are a patented technology from Connelly... "Normal" single metal baseplates create a dead spot, limiting the intended flex pattern of the ski. The Sync Dual Plate is designed to allow your ski to move the way it is supposed to. The free flex connection also has wide mounting points so you can transfer more energy more efficiently reducing the amount of torque needed to put your ski on edge...the boot moves power from your foot through the flared base of the Exolast and into the dual plate system. Traditional plates reduce intended flex by 20%, mono-plate systems reduce intended flex by 40% and the free-flex system with the Syncs do not reduce the natural flex of the ski. Also, the Syncs boast a seamless shell which limits stitched connections in the upper boot, transferring more energy and movement directly to the ski. The new boots also have a heel pocket which holds your heel in place and reduces movement inside the binding.

• Baller
@The_Krista you said "they are more like how Radar's closed-toe bindings operate"... as in RS-1/Strada/Vapors? An inner liner that releases from the outer boot? Or like the Radar Profiles? (more like a wakeboard/traditional boot... your feet come out when the fall is hard enough). Which is it?

• Baller

Not to throw @the_krista under the bus but all Radar boots are releasable. I thought this to be true but confirmed just to be sure. So to make everyone aware here, what Krista said about Radar boots isn’t true, they’re all made to be safe and release in the event of a fall. I can’t say that about these Connelly boots, I know I trust my Vapor boot though! 

• Supporting Member

@rq0013 I think there is some terminology confusion here. On the one hand there are boots where the entire boot releases from the ski somehow. On the other, there are setups where your foot releases but the boot stays in place. I think all that is being said about these new Connellys is that they fall into the latter category.

There are also true non-releasable boots: no way to ever get off the ski. I do not think any major manufacture sells such a thing, but a handful of skiers have made their own and prefer that. Personally I think they are completely nuts.

To me, these new boots look like they would be impossible or nearly impossible to release in a lot of important situations. But safety/performance tradeoffs are very personal, so judge for yourself.

• Baller

My Connelly Talon bindings have two separate laces on each boot -- one for the top of my foot and one for the ankle area (as many bindings of this type have). The boots were shipped to me (new) with the non-stretchy laces in both the top and bottom sections. First thing I did was take those laces out and replace them with the bungee laces that were also supplied as an alternative for the top section. There were no bungee laces supplied for the bottom section.

I have since modified my lacing further by not using the highest lace loops over the bottom section because even with the bungee laces around the ankle cinched loosely I could not get my foot out of the binding with the lower laces cinched snug enough to feel like they were supporting my feet. I can't imagine the heavy impact I would have to take for my feet to come out of these bindings if I used all the lace loops and used non-stretchy laces in both top and bottom. Perhaps Connelly is actually producing bindings that are not designed to allow your feet to release from the ski?

• Baller

Purely theoretically - two not releasable boots might be pretty safe setup.

Hardly can cause twisted knee, ankle or achilles injury and/or hamstring problem.

Like snowboard or wakeboard with not releasable boots.

OTF and other kinds of falls is another story which may happen with any boot system.

If in addition to that, if not releasable boots on releasable monoplate it is probably the very safe construction. IMO.

On a wakeboard had problem only once - when one foot slipped out from boot and board twisted my knee.