Radar Theory replaced by Katana. Still a starter course ski?

ejj

• Administrators
@ejj I have not personally seen the ski but the @eddie_roberts_jr has been talking about this project for a long time. Word is it turns on a dime so yes it should be good as a starter ski in the course.

• Baller_
The fact that the line of skis went from beginner..sorta P6 and advanced through the line..Theory, Senate, Strada.. with similar, if not the same design, was brilliant. You could go from one, master certain speeds, and pick up the next in line with minimal differences in how the ski felt. Perfect for advancing. That alone makes me recommend Radar over any other ski manufacture for someone getting their feet wet in the course.

• Baller
@Skihack I disagree that the Theory should be considered necessarily an "entry level" ski. You could/can run some serious short line on it, just can't do it at much more than 30 mph. So IMO it's a different mind set (think INT League Wide Ride division type skiing). Yeah it makes a decent beginners ski too, but with a ton of headroom to advance on line length wise and as such technique wise. As you get older and want/need to slow down a bit you can still get serious on it without everything happening quite as fast. Different mind set.

• Baller
Believe me it was with a bit of trepidation that we said goodbye to the Theory and the P6, but as we started developing the Katana and Butterknife it was pretty evident that they were both better than the skis they were replacing and a big improvement for the intended skiers.The way the Katana's big inside radius initiates the turn while the deep 3/4 length grooves pull it through the turn and hold the edge is amazing. The turns are automatic on both skis and wake crossings are better than on their predecessors. The Butterknife is a wider version of the Katana. Both skis are easy to get up on, extremely stable and and have very low drag and a very high co-efficient of fun and performance.

• Baller
I have my blue Theory and love it. It has seen and run some serious shortline at 32 and 34 mph. You just have to work a little harder behind the boat due to it's width. It is a very good ski in that I have used it for entry level skiers and it has run 35 off as well. Not many skis out there that can cover all levels of skiers imo.

• Baller
Just this summer I've taught 6 brand new skiers to get up and ride on a 69 Theory. 1 skier is now running a few balls on the full course. I've ridden it and several times I've told the guy now getting into the course that his ski is fantastic. I'm with @Wish, in that I loved that skiers could progress through the line, and he's jonesing for a Senate. I get what @eddie_roberts_jr says though, a better ski is a better ski.

I just picked up a 2011 P6 (slim seconds hand ski picking in Australia)and have to say it is great to ski on. I was after something that could manage the course but also ski the lake since most of out time is spent there. Turns well, nice and stable and the boots are comfortable. I got the 67" and ski around 28-30mph. I have a size 12 foot but the 7-11 binding fits well.

• Baller
So, @eddie_roberts_jr , if I'm wanting to slow way down in the course to finally have a chance of getting through it, maybe 26 mph (215-220 lbs), would you recommend the Katana or an older theory? My vapor is just too much ski for me right now so time to put the ego behind and get the right ski for my ability and needs.