V-typeR

ALPJr

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@horton We have 12-13 people already signed up for the BOS Cash prize demo day and HO hasn't sent out any marketing on it yet. Will and Mommer will be there setting people up to give it a rip. Been interesting. Loads of excitement about this ski. Get your name in if your coming and want to take a ride.

• Baller

Big Thanks to @MAD11, Will Asher and John Mommer. My ski buddy and I got to Demo the V-type R today. I'm giving it a Thumbs up and my partner was seriously consider buying one. I've been on a Blue Vapor and comparing those two. The HO takes no effort to get no edge and seem to take no input to turn. At first I had the feeling I was going to fall over. But after a few passes I was skiing pretty good on it. I was running 15off 32mph which is comfortable for me. Will had some suggestions for me and my last pass felt really good. I'm 6'2 170lb and skied on a 67".

My buddy is about the same height as me but weighs more like 215lb. He skied on a 67" also (John said the 68" Mold was being machine right now). My buddy on a good days skis mid 32off 34 but usually doesn't run 28off. His last pass he ran 28off and said it felt easy. He's now on a 67.5" A2.

• Baller
@gregy glad you came out. I just happened to be around so no thanks owed to me. I know both Will and Mommer were happy to spend the time and I'm sure appreciate your comments. Been around skiing a long time and haven't seen a ski that so many people with different styles at different levels have gotten on and respond this positively about. This is a ski that we are going to see a lot of people riding and soon. HO seems to have focused on what they wanted to achieve, took their time to get it right and now is bringing to the public.

• Baller
I came home from the BOS Cash Prize with one of the first 67s. I was ready to buy it after first set with Will. Very low effort, feels like it has huge sweet spot, I could turn as hard as I wanted and it wouldn't dump me. I could feel the support of the ski under my front foot, where my existing Vapor feels like the tip drops in and stops if I'm not perfectly balanced.

• Baller

Feels like a really fast A1, with much more support under the front foot and forward. Numbers that Mommer put on it were:

6.977 length

2.465 depth

.729 DFT

8 degrees

29 3/4 front binding

EDIT- Bad Matt Brown also told me to try 6.880, 2.500, .750.

Really good to have HO there. That wasn't a ski I was even planning on trying out. But they were there supporting their brand in a big way so I thought why not. Good thing I only had to ask the little red devil on my shoulder and no one else before whipping out my credit card. :)

• Baller
@disland By the way, you definitely need to try a new ride. Your way better than what your showing and the one you have is not helping you get it done much at all. Need help figuring that out let me know. Happy to help.

• Baller
Tried the short/deep fin setting today. Didn't really care for it. For a longer line skier it'd probably be great. Very stable. But I probably needed to accompany it by moving the bindings back at 29.5 like Bad Matt Brown runs. For now I'm going back to the long and shallow that I skied it with this past weekend. I actually blew the tail out twice and with the long/shallow I couldn't knock myself off of it if I tried.

• Baller
My 67 VTypeR is scheduled to arrive on Monday. If the New England weather holds up I should be able to get a few sets in before the season's over. I can tell you two things for sure... First, I already love this ski! I have been researching for over two years. I looked at all the major skis out there and kept coming back to the team behind HO skis and what I perceive as the company's commitment to the water sports lifestyle. Second, once I zeroed in on an HO I contacted Sam @savaiusini who's feedback and service level has been tremendous. That pretty much sealed the deal on HO for me. The last piece of the puzzle was working with Perf Ski @perfski. Their friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff are great to work with and trust me if you're ever in their neighborhood stop in, its a baller's candy shop.

• Baller

@ALPJr I set yours up with the following:

8deg

I've been using these for a couple weeks. These came from Dave by way of Will...

I've used to use the long/shallow settings as @ShaneH mentioned too and they work well, but I think I like the way the ski rotates better better with these.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
Thanks @savaiusini . I'll leave it there until I can get a few lessons from a pro who knows fin tweaking. Would like to make it to LaPoint Ski Park sometime next summer. Or (hint hint) maybe HO and BOS will bring a pro clinic to New England B)

• Baller
I had one set on a 67 R. Turns seem automatic, very little input necessary. Never tried the original V-type. I should have a R end of the week to evaluate some more. @skijay I'm interested in the Vapor comparison as well.

• Baller
I skied the 67 VTypeR today. It felt really good - stable, very quick side to side, tight & controllable turns - overall a great ride. Dbl XMax boots are comfortable, with firm lateral control and easy to adjust. Water 43 air 51 and glass calm. I was toasty with compression shorts & shirt, running tights, dry fit socks, and a cotton lined wool long-john shirt, under my 2mm Assault Drysuit (not the Assault Hybrid - the original from 1995 which fits more like a wet suit and is still 90% dry). Could be a nice end to a great season in New England. This ski is super !

• Baller
We finally are geting skis out / on the water...so thanks for posting feedback here also. Got numbers from Will yesterday for a 67" of .780 / 6.870 / 2.495 / 29 3/4. Also a followup from Dave WIngerter that after the week skiing with the team they are going to make some updates on "stock numbers" more similar to wills....until then....all good feedback. Have 66", 67" in white and Black's now if you are trying to find one.

• Baller

putbicqu7zx2.jpg

As promised @scotchipman ...

For the past month, I’ve been skiing on the remarkable 2016 Radar Vapor. But all last week, I took a detour to the new HO V-Type R. My first impression of the VTR was a little underwhelming, but with a few fin tweaks, it really came alive—once again highlighting how critical setup is during a demo. If I’d left the original factory specs on it, I would have dismissed it as hard to turn and lacking angle, neither of which is the case when properly set up. And not surprisingly, the following new set of factory specs were released last week:

65”: 6.870, 2.485, .735, 8°, 29”

66”: 6.870, 2.485, .735, 8°, 29.375”

67”: 6.870, 2.495, .780, 8°, 29.75”

68”: 6.870, 2.495, .780, 8°, 30.125”

I’m not going to do a full ski review here because I’m skiing with a bum knee and choose to run safe 32s over scrappy 35s. But for me at least, these two skis are more similar than they are different. At times, I was tempted to make the statement that the choice between the two pretty much comes down to color.

One similarity that I like with both skis is how forgiving their tips are when pushed too far. At extreme levels of tip-engagement, the Vapor builds a little more tip-pressure, but it remains manageable, delivering incredibly tightly carved turns. The VTR is also seemingly tip-grab-proof, and when pushed too far simply washes out rather than jamming on the brakes in a form-crushing tip-grab.

Yesterday I skied one set on the VTR, then swapped the bindings back to the Vapor as quickly as possible for another set. I was expecting it to be different enough that some adaptation would be in order. Instead, it was so similar that I was able to get right after it within two passes. And I have to admit, it felt nice to be “home.” The Vapor felt marginally faster and easier to turn, generally requiring less effort overall.

There were however, two flies in the ointment for this comparison. The inserts on the VTR are so far back that my Vapor bindings fell 1/8th” short of the new factory recommended binding placement of 29.75” for the 67” ski, a move that I’d wanted to make all week long if I could have, so I found access to the front of the Vapor a little easier than on the VTR.

The other issue was size. The Vapor is a 66” ski, and the VTR was a 67” ski (that actually measure 2” longer than the Vapor for what that’s worth). Both were the recommended size for my 165 pound weight, but size still matters. And in the end, I found the smaller nimbler Vapor more to my personal liking. But that’s just me. The V-Type R is a big step forward from last year’s effort, and is a serious contender. If you can’t compare them side by side at the same time, then you won’t go wrong by choosing the one with the graphics most likely to psych you into beast mode.