Preferred Boat Color

akale15

• Baller
What is your preferred primary boat color? Shades of red or blue seem to be the most common, which I'm guessing is due to a limited number of color choices available earlier on from manufactures. However even with all of today's options, reds and blues still seem to be the most popular. Is it that some colors are shown to have better resale values? Or maybe its some colors are easier to keep clean than others? Any thoughts behind this?

• Baller

Red and blue are too common. I think I would pick a purple boat over a red or blue one. That said, I've seen some really tastefully executed red/blue stuff like stars/stripes boats that aren't bad, but given the choice I wouldn't have those.

I do like a really clean white only boat though...

• Baller

Our last three promo boats have been masters blue and white. Haven't had an issue selling any of them as they look great. As a promo boat guy, I have to go with what has the most appeal to the masses.

But when I was checking out colors this year, the Orange with progressive package color looked really good. Just couldn't pull the trigger due to might be difficult to sell.

• Baller

I see boats out there (promo) for resale that are orange or purple and just think it's nuts. If you know you need to sell it at year end, why pick a color that while it may look nice appeals only to a fragment of the small population who may have interest in such a boat regardless of color.

I would pick a sale-able color that I also like...one that is timeless not trendy.

• Baller
Zora Arkus-Duntov, who many say is the father of the Corvette, is quoted as saying "All Corvettes are red, the rest are just mistakes". Seriously though, of the thirty plus inboards I have had, all but three or four have been red or at least had some red in them. I must like red:)

• Baller
As a guy with mostly white...I will say it is super easy for care. Water spots don't show, any gel coat nicks tend to be white on a colored boat...on a white boat they blend right in and buff out easily. Stays cool in the heat (unlike my tow vehicle).

• Baller
I think the right blue's look the best but I honestly think it depends more on the color scheme than the actual colors themselves. However, when the right boat comes around for the right price, I don't give a crap what color it is. I dislike my Malibu Response which is the tan, cream, and hunter green but I got it with PP, wedge, monsoon engine, and machined prop for about $4k-$5k less than what an optionless carbureted Response came with and would've bought it if it was pink and purple....granted I would've painted it immediately but I still would've bought it.

• Baller
I always go with white hull, red, blue or black stripe. In '92, we went with the fad teal green and pink on our Prostar, and it was a nightmare to sell just 3 years later. In fact, I had to trade it to a dealership, making it their problem. Will never make that mistake again.

• Baller
That is funny because in '92 my (first) wife talked me into Teal as well. That was one of the four or 5 out my 30+ inboards that haven't had some red in them. I was fortunate to sell it in the fall, because it would have been a bear to sell even the next spring due to the color going "out of style".