Cracked strainer cup

LeonL

• Baller
I just noticed a slow drip from the strainer cup ('08 196) yesterday. Further inspection revealed a significant crack in the lower part of the cup. I wouldn't give it much of a thought if it weren't for the fact that this is the third one to crack similarly over the past 5 years. What can be causing this? Anyone else have multiple cracked cups?

• Baller

Is the case possibly hitting anything as it jiggles around when pounding through your own wake or rough water?

The water filter suppliers for regular tap water in our area have all gone away from a female threaded canister to a male threaded type because of cracking.

• Baller
I don't see anything that it can be hitting against. The crack is at the bottom, not near threads. How could there be "rapid temp fluctuation"? The water in the cup never gets hot from the engine, other than just compartment temp. I have, in the past left antifreeze in the cup over winter. Could this cause a breakdown in the plastic? No change in color, clarity or otherwise though.

• Baller
I've had similar issues when drawing 50% anti-freeze into the system for winterization ('03 SN 196). The cup becomes opaque and usually gets hairline cracks the next season. Now I use one cup for storage and a non-anti-freeze exposed cup for seasonal use. Also be sure the cup isn't suspended too close to either side exhaust tube in case the system has been re-fitted; that source of heat seems to cause issues as well.

• Baller
Hmm...I have a 2000 196 and no cracks. Given where we ski and all the crap we inhale at the swamp we had to take it off and clean the filter inside at least once per ski session or we would plug and overheat. Your issue seems very strange.