Anybody use an inversion table for back pain?

Chef23

• Baller

I had a microdiscetomy a few years ago that seemed to work out okay. This summer I have had a couple of different back issues that I haven't been able to shake. I have had low back issues in the sacrum area since mid summer. I felt it jam coming off the wake at 28 off. I also have a mid back issue that has been around for years that is a hang over from my years of playing golf. The mid back issue never showed on an MRI. I haven't had an updated MRI for the current sacrum issue. I have seen a PT and a chiropractor and neither seems to think there is a disc issue. I will add I don't have any leg pain or weakness like I did before my surgery.

I am going to see my primary care and get an MRI lined up to make sure there is nothing really wrong in there. I have a regular stretching routine and have about 5-6 yoga poses I mix in and I do that 4-6 days a week.

I have done a little reading on inversion tables and don't see any downside to trying one. I was just wondering if anyone here has used one and had any success.

• Baller

@Chef23 I work at the University Hospital in Geneva Switzerland and my wife is a physician as well. Since 5 years, don't ask me why, I work at the library and I have been reading a lot of sudies about back pain an pain related to sport. I am not convinced that an inversion table is going to help you on the long run, maybe just for a few weeks. In the long run, the best you can do for your back is : continue your yoga poses, always good. Then waterski is an unbalanced sport, we have one foot in front of the other, we have a up side down grip, so we need to do some work out to re-balance our body. I believe working hard on the core abdo, the plank and flexion up and down I mean all the way down with your but touching your heels with your arms out. That stretch your back really. Then you can check with your physician if it is muscles related or the spine. Then it is proved tha ointment of comfrey is what is working the best for back pain. I don't know if you have that in the US, let me know I can send you one from here, no problem for me. If you are intersted I can give you more info by my email that you can find on my profile. Hope it will help you.

Chris

• Baller
I'm not an expert by any means but I noticed my back would hurt when doing my pre-ski stretches. Quit doing them and do more of a warm up now. I only stretch after exercise now. Back pain is better. Also worst thing for me is sitting for long periods at a time. I try to set with proper posture and stand up and move around regularly.

• Baller
@Chef23 -- might help, might not. No harm in trying. My physical therapist has done traction on my back before when I ruptured a disc. He said that (a) you will know right away if it helps, and (b) that it has enduring benefit. Inversion table is just a form of traction.

• Baller
Over the years started with Inversion Boots, then later bought an Inversion Table...Best tip I got was from a chiropractor who said to take a soccer ball, let a little air out of it, put it on a hard floor, start with it under the lower middle of your back, and roll side to side, then up and down. Did that, it worked well, and I sold the inversion table...Also those large exercise balls they have at the gym work well to roll around on also.

As good or better than the soccer ball: http://www.power-systems.com/p-2951-myo-release-ball.aspx

Note the option of two different sizes.

I'm a classical concert violinist, amateur ballet dancer & skier. The best thing I ever did for my back (and body overall) was learn self-myofasial release techniques. It releases the muscles and allows them to recover effectively. Used daily, I find that muscle pain is no longer an inhibiting problem; and healthy alignment is much easier to maintain. Foam rollers are good. I find that this foam ball (link above) is even more versatile. Plus it fits much more easily in a suitcase when traveling. I am NOT affiliated with PowerSystems (the manufacturer) - simply a very happy repeat customer.

• Baller
I foam roll regularly at least 4-5 days a week sometimes multiple times a day. Thanks to everyone for the other tips. I haven't decided if I am going to spring for the inversion table or not. I am sure I can find one for short money on craigslist.

• Baller_
I use an inversion table 3-4 Xs a week but with the following instructions from my PT. Do not go past 45 degrees . Do work to the 45 degree in small movements..5 degrees pause..5 more pause..feel everything straightening/stretching out before going to next 5. Do hold 45 for a while if everything is relaxed and you're still feeling a stretch. If it hurts anywhere STOP or go back up to where it does not. Do not get off of it and start walking around...it will compress back again way to fast. Best practice is do it right before you go to bed. As in everything ready so straight from table to flat on your back. To many, I think just, jump on it and rock back to 45 or better. Your muscles will lock things up and not allow a stretch as it is in protection mode. Takes me 15mn just to get to 45 degrees. May stay there for another 5-10mn then go straight to where I can lay flat on my back to 30+mn or to bed for the night. I feel an increase in leg strength, low to no back pain and increase in ROM. I currently have a bulged disc. I did convert mine with straps and a weight lifting belt so the pull is above my pelvic and does not pull on my ankles knees and hip joints. I did do a Yoga class once on a paddle board. Very surprising results the next day. Lot of the same feeling of stronger legs, low to no back pain and very much an increase in ROM. Felt I was walking better and taller if that's even a thing. Yoga looks easy..found out it is not. Wow. Will be doing more of that.

• Baller

@Chef23 I did my lower back (L5) in speed skiing back in the 80's. Since then, I've re-injured it a number of times. Each time, I've gone back to my inversion table. And each time, the doctors were surprised at how quickly I healed. When I told them I was doing a lot of traction, they all agreed it that it was a very good idea.

Over the years, the biggest revelation was in the style of inversion table. The ones that hang you from your ankles hurt your ankles. My favorite style is now the type that hangs you upside down from your hips, as though sitting in an inverted chair.

http://www.relaxusonline.com/Invertrac_Spinal_Inversion_p/bainv.htm

uuq87f1g26ow.jpg

• Baller

They are awesome! I was struggling to do everything including sitting and standing when I was 25-28. Lasted for years with varying degrees of pain regardless of what I did. Bought an inversion table and used it a couple times a day for a few months and honestly haven't had much trouble ever since. I'd hang at first and then do some crunches which really helped my abs as well. Short of doing something stupid or using it inappropriately after having back surgery, I'm not really sure how you can screw anything up.

Buy one! They are under $100 at most sports stores even if you don't wanna wait. Then learn how to use it!

The one posted above looks cool but part of my recovery was aided by the ability to do crunches and sit ups which would be difficult without the ankle attachment.

• Baller
Hmmm, all this negativity... I've used one for years and always found it to be very helpful. I also use it to do inverted crunches, seems to hit the entire ab region as a unit, one of the better ab exercises I've been able to come up with. If you go with the type that hangs you by the ankles it's important to get to get one with a comfortable and supportive ankle clasp setup. The cheap ones generally don't have very good ankle grasps (whatever they're called) and aren't very supportive or comfortable. My ankles don't hurt when I'm done and using it definitely makes a positive difference for me, but as always YMMV. Ditto what @MS said about foam rolling too.

• Baller

Before I had surgery the neurosurgeon told me keep doing what I'm doing. Which at that time was the inversion table, the Rumble roller and other assorted exercise. He couldn't see where it was hurting me so why bother stopping. Did it help me? I can't really say one way or the other. I just had my 1 week post-op yesterday and he told me to start exercising again minus the inversion table for the time being.

Take it for what you will the thing that he told me to stop was the running. My feelings aren't hurt. The Inversion table while the idea is thousands of years old it's one of those things where the proof is all anecdotal and there's no hardcore scientific study behind it. If there is show it to me because I couldn't find any. Logically it certainly makes sense. Just ask Roger Teeter. I'll bet his wallet is bulging, not to mention his disc.

• Administrators

@rawly

OMG I would LOVE to interview Roger. I remember when I was a kid he visited my dads lake a few times. What a great guy and a true pioneer of the water ski industry. I only sort of remember some of the stories. The 100% aluminum jumps skis story stuck with me.