Upgrade to Zero OFF worth it ?

jetpilotg4

• Baller
Started a thread asking about upgrading from PP to ZO , and I ended up speaking to Tim at inboard solutions,(Awesome guy and conversation ) and promptly gave me the answers, that I didn't want to hear .... My 2004 SN 196 Excalibur , can be upgraded , but because of the electrics with the keyless ignition , I get the most expensive option. Roughly 5500.00 OUCH !! my question , aside from giving up 55 Benjamin's for 2016 Technology on a 11 year old boat, Is it really worth it ? I ski 6-8 sets a week almost year round ( S Florida !! ) , haven't skied a tournament in a decade , but id like to start back up tournaments next season, and I could qualify for nationals if I run what I run in practice .... Thoughts ? Thanks guys , Happy skiing

• Baller
Just went through the process with my 05 6.0L with no regrets. Expensive but the end result is a boat and pull that is still world class by any measure. I can switch between my boat and a 200 and its pretty hard to pick the difference out the the back. Guess it depends on what is important to you, 196 is still a good hull and will be for a long time to come.

• Baller
How many hours on current boat? Do you like your current boat? Is it in good condition? You won't regret going to ZO whether with your boat or a newer model based on how much you ski. By the way, where do you ski? I need a friend in south FL in the winter!

• Baller

I agree with @sunperch , fix the boat you love. Personally, I hate the 196 for tricks so @richarddoane has the right idea for you (the 200 is fine for tricks).

On my "to do" list is to convert my 79 American Skier to ZO. I love that boat.

Eric

• Baller_

It is interesting to see people are considering spending up to ~25% of the value of a particular boat to simply upgrade (not add, just upgrade) the speed control system to the latest technology. It certainly speaks to the importance of that element to the sport. To put in context, that is roughly 2 ski purchases, so how many buoys is ZO worth when skiing behind a different boat at a tournament?

It would certainly be great to see a more cost efficient method to get a "ZO" pull either via a more cost effective conversion kit (not at all an indictment of Inboard Solutions, actually kudo's to them for even having a kit) -or- a more accurate PP kit to simulate the ZO pull.

• Baller

StarGazer w/ ZBox is a nice upgrade but is still not the same as ZO.

My previous boat was q 196LE and it was going to cost roughly the same $5500 +/- to go from SG ZBox to ZO.

I put the $5500 into the purchase cost of upgrading to a newer boat already equipped with ZO.

Sold my 196 and now there are 2 happy families; mine and the people who got a really good deal on my 196. :)

• Baller
I too have a 2004 Limited 196 with key-less ignition. With the help of Jody Seal, it was converted to ZO back in 2009. The performance of the conversion has been flawless since installation and every time I consider buying a 200, my conclusion is why? I need a great slalom boat with ZO. I have it with my converted 196. Also, consider you will recover some of the cost when you sell as a ZO equipped boat is more desirable than a PP equipped boat for tournament skiers.

• Baller
Tim White converted my 05 196 a few years ago when I had 425 hrs on the boat. Zero regrets (no pun intended). I only put about 60 hrs a year on the boat so I should be set for the next 20 years or until my back gives out. Converted 196's are also getting top dollar at resale thanks to the price of the 200's. I was also able to sell my old PP system for $425, course magnets for $200 and ECM for $300. My wife also loves the fact that she no longer has to listen to me about how much rpm to add or take away when pulling me when its windy....#happy wife/happy life.....:)

• Baller
Does anyone know why one can't bypass the Faria gateway in an '06 196LE to install ZO? @Jody_Seal ? Considering adding it to my boat, but would like to avoid the $900 for a new gateway. Could the PP chip be pulled out of my existing gateway? If there were a way, people would be doing it, just wondering what the primary issue is?

• Baller_

The primary issue is that when converting your MEFI over to E-control your gauges will not work with out the Gatway replacement. MEFI and E-control are two completely different digital languages and that's what the Gateway does is translates the information to the gauge package.

Unless you want to change your gauge package over to analog....That's whole different can of worms!!

• Baller

Radical idea:

- Save your $5500

- With some of that money, treat yourself once a week to a set with a coach, who presumably coaches from a ZO boat

I predict:

- in 8-12 weeks your ZO scores will get close to your PP scores

- you'll become a better skier from the coaching than you would from spending $5500 on ZO

- you'll qualify for nationals