Do you frequently ski a slalom course on public Water?

Jody_Seal

• Baller

Yes - both courses I use are on public water and there are 2 or 3 more nearby that I don't use which are on public water. Private ski ditches are pretty rare in MN, only ones I know of are New Germany, Quarry and one somewhere up near chisago.

Of the 2 I use, 1 is fixed course the other is submersible.

• Baller_
@ahopkinsTXi, how long has that particular course been in existence and maintained on that lake? You are very fortunate to have that much access. When I renewed my public lake course permit this year (i don't use it very often), the DNR representative told me they were happy that they could actually grant it. They had been experiencing backlash in the northwest lower peninsula and had even been forced to conduct public hearings about some sites. My public lake is on the northeast side and we haven't had that drama....yet. And, I have the restrictions on my permit to remove/sink the course each day. I can't use a WallySinker, as my location is only 6 to 8 feet deep. So, it is much more effort to comply.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I bought an EZ-slalom portable this season and have used it about once each week since mid-August. Have to put it in and pull it out each time. Takes us a little more time than average because our water is about 90 feet deep where we set up the course and I had to add a couple hundred feet of anchor line to each end (thus, more time dropping and pulling up anchors).

• Baller
We have a portable course left in year round on public water, what a nightmare. Also a permanent course magically appeared 2 minutes from my door step on public water, a lot less headache. Ski occasionally on private water when opportunity presents itself.

• Baller
I am surprised on how many ski a slalom course on public water. Here in Sacramento Ca I think it's easier to get access to private site vs setting up a course on a public water. I used to set one up on Folsom lake. You had to get there while it was still dark and get off by 8 or forget it. I got ticketed for obstruction of a waterway one morning and decided it was time for private site.

• Baller_
Public water in NY, LaPOINTS' SKI PARK and Lucky Lowe's in Florida. I guess technically, Lucky's is "public" as it is a natural lake with other owners, primarily an orange grove owner, but I've never seen another boat on the lake that wasn't launched from Lucky's ramp.

Lpskier

• Baller
Right now I'd say I'm half and half but now that I have a surveyed course on my public lake, I will likely be using it more than the private lake. Even on a perfectly smooth day, I'm amazed how different those 2 courses feel. The private course is semi hard bottom at 3-6 feet deep with the deepest area being in the boat path. The public course is a soft mud bottom at 5-8 feet deep consistently getting deeper to one side.

• Baller
I have never skiied on a private lake but have watched from shore and spotted from the boat. I like to think that our Saturday and Sunday morning group (6 or 7 direct drives - but never before 9 am!) are pretty good at tough conditions. We may be building up skills that can help in tournaments but still have a collective sigh when a tubber or bass boat "runs the course" while we wait our turns. Weekdays however are great.

• Baller
We used to ski exclusively on a public lake. We had a great time camping with lots of friends, had a pontoon boat that we would anchor near the course, and all our boating friends would raft up at the pontoon and we'd hang out and ski all day. Then the Forest Circus decided that camping at the lake was not a good use of public land so they shut us down. That was the deciding factor in forcing me and a few of my ski pals to build our own private lake.

• Baller

Growing up in northern BC we had 5 public lakes within 45 minutes of town with slalom courses. That was in the 90s but I'd imagine the courses are still there for the most part...

Now I'm in southern BC (Vancouver island) and still no private sites anywhere close, but 2 courses on Sproat lake that we frequent and help maintain.

Mornings and weekdays can still be great water.

I ski on a public lake in a Massachusetts state park along with Chef23 and Than. It's 20 miles west of Boston. If you drive on the Mass pike you drive right through our lake. The ski club was established back in the early 70's and we've always had a great relationship with state park staff along with the fact that they view this lake as a recreational water sports lake with many other water sports like crew and sailing competitions, canoe and kayak, bass tournaments, etc. We have 2 courses with one in well protected cove where the NE Slalom Championship was staged for 10 years. The lake actually has 3 separated and connected lakes with designated separate uses, so it works out well.

• Baller
I know we've only had roughly 130 votes at this point but I'm really surprised by how many people are primarily skiing courses on public lakes. I figured it'd be about 70/30 in the opposite direction. I'm feeling very thankful to have options to ski both on a regular basis.

• Baller
Keep in mind. "Public water" in the midwest(.. smaller lakes with considerate neighbors) can be much different than water in the southeast or the west IMO. One way to grow our sport would be to get more courses on public water along with education and encouragement while floating around the buoys. I love to ski private ski sites but public lakes are the where most skiers get started. The seems comparable to those golfers that play at a private club in under 3 hrs vs. those of us that 'hack around' at a county park track lasting 5+ hrs?

• Baller_
In the comments section of the USAWS survey I just completed, I suggested that some effort be put toward establishing and maintaining private, USAWS-owned sites across the country that can be used by USAWS members for a fee (or include a daily USAWS membership in the fee). This addresses the issue of no access to club sites and also avoids the larger fight of getting equal rights on public water for slalom and jump courses. I doubt anything will happen regarding my suggestion, but it's 100% certain that nothing will happen if it is never suggested.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

I had to answer no to the "frequently" part because I don't get access to slalom courses frequently. When I do, it is on a public lake and with a portable course.

I take a vacation on a lake in a rural area every year and we "illegally" leave the course in the whole week (doesn't bother anyone). Other than that, we put the portable course on a public lake maybe a couple times a year.

I have kids so a trip to the lake at this stage of my life is a family affair. I free ski when we go out because my little guys don't have the patience or the manpower to help daddy put in and take out a course.

I have probably 15 public lakes I could launch my boat at within 45 minutes of my house and, as far as I know, none of them have a permanent course. I'm of the if-they-build-it they-will-come mentality as it relates to slalom courses. If the majority of those lakes had courses, I'd bet this area would have a whole bunch of high-level skiers. There are some now, but probably more that are involved with show skiing. I attribute that in part to being able to practice many of the show skiing skills on public lakes and because show skiing is entertainment focused, and thus gets community support.

• Baller

I ski on am aller public lake and I can leave my course in all summer. This is at our family cottage. Where we r there is a ton of public lakes within 1-2hr drive from the city. All you need is a permit from natural resources for the course. We have a couple of private courses in the city that for the most part anyone can access for pay as you go fees. The membership is very cheap compared to what most people elsewhere have to pay.

I prefer to ski at our public lake over the private courses. There is usually no issue with others wrecking your water but it does happen. Others visiting are able to use our course for free

Skiing on the public lake allows us to train without having to give up the benefits of a family cottage.

You would think that all this freedom we have would be a great benefit to the ski community but it isn't and our competitive scene is tiny.

• Baller
Vote is yes, frequently ski slalom courses on public waters. Network of friends and ski buddies use public water. One permanent course (yes we have the permits to do that) and a couple other portable courses. The permanent course is a 35 minute drive, and the portables are much closer but 20 minutes set up. In all cases, the same ingredients lead to success... you have to be up and on the water before first light, have the first skier in the water when the second hand strokes legal day-break, and then ski like hell before the fisherman and rec boaters show up. Also helps to burrow into your local fishing club websites to learn the tournament schedules. Oh... and then there is the wind. Ski locale greatly depends on that. So all that said........ wow is it nice when we can ski on the couple private ponds in the area!!!! Way, way, way better for sure. Its so nice skiing any time of the day and concentrating on skiing well, rather than waking at stupid:30 and eating rollers all morning.