Please teach me how to run 13m!!

Ryota

• Baller

Your 14m video in the other thread looked very smooth and easy. However, at 13m you are heading straight at one ball after your gate. I believe you actually look great right until you hit centerline, at that point you seem like you stay in your lean just a split second too long and then when you unload rapidly in the white-wash and get thrown straight at the ball.

This is very similar to what I've been working on lately at 13m. I'm finding that I need to end my pull just a hair earlier and then try to maintain my outbound direction for best results. There are lots of ways to think about maintaining outbound direction such as:

- leading arm pressure

- trailing arm pressure (pretty much the exact opposite of leading arm pressure, but it works for some)

- looking at a point on the shore across course

- looking at a point 10-15 ft before the buoy

There are others too, but different things work for different people depending upon our individual "feel" throughout the course. Good luck!

• Baller
You're drifting into your gate shot. Pull out a little later, stay wide, and turn in from a wider/higher position on the boat. This will tighten the line at 1 ball, and the rest will fall into place. Right now, you're trying to play "catch up" the whole pass. Try thinking about initiating the turn in to the gates with your shin of your front leg-press forward.

• Baller

I've "starred" this thread because I'm right there with you and want to learn from the comments.

FWIW, two things have helped me the most: 1) very wide gates, 2) off the lean at the center-line

Wide gates allow me to get stacked before the boat's load is on me. Also, I can turn the ski a little further across the boat's path before the load hits. As a result, I can generate speed across course before I get to the first wake and prepare to release through the edge change off the center-line. Thus, #1 sets the stage for #2 to occur. Once those 2 items are in place, the space before the buoy comes more easily and slack after 1-ball is minimized or eliminated completely.

• Baller_
One other thing to do for your gate is to watch when you turn in. Since you are 1.25 meters closer to the boat at the 13m length, you probably need to turn in a little earlier at 13m than you do at 14.25m. So, you need to be wide and up on the boat and also need to turn in for the gate a bit earlier. Those things will help ensure your angle isn't a straight line directly at buoy 1.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
In addition to the wider gate, try to turn in with a little more speed. You are already under load from the boat well outside the whitewater on your turn in, and that will prevent your ski from establishing better angle which you need to get high and early at 1 ball. Turning in with more speed will allow your ski to completely finish, and will delay the load until you are near the whitewater. Get the timing right, and you will find yourself high and early at one, and it will slow everything down for you in the course.

• Baller
I agree with what's been said about your gate. Get up further and wider, get your weight on your front foot and turn in a little earlier. @Marco said it: The boat is pulling you down the course well before you have any angle or speed across the wakes. Look for "Regina Jaquess Slow Motion" video on YouTube. Look how she gets her ski lined up across the wakes long before the boat is pulling her. I think you're doing very well with everything else. Your 14m looks great!

• Baller
Wow!? Night and Day difference...great job! Here's a tip for 35....right as you are crossing the 2nd wake think of keeping that handle low and attached to your hip through the edge change. Don't let the handle get away from your hip. This will get you up on the boat, and when you release you will have more time to ski away from the rope and back to the rope.