Cheap Gloves for the budget conscious?

thager

• Baller
Just a heads up for skiers on a budget. My wife bought me some work gloves for Christmas which I tried today. Couldn't help but notice how much they resembled older day water ski gloves. Palms seem to be made from an amara-like material. Not sure how long they would last for skiing but at 3 pair for $10, who cares? That's just $3.33 each. Are made by Firm Grip and are sold at Homey Depot. Come in red, gray, and yellow.

• Baller
@wish I wore that style of glove for years {60s} when we first started wearing gloves. Didn't come with straps. Never had one come off. Guess it depends on your grip style and handle diameter. The ones you posted look good too.

• Baller_
My first gloves, purchased at McCormack's Ski School, were essentially rubber infused cheap cotton gloves with no wrist strap or closure whatsoever. While better than nothing, they did make Cypress Gardens vests used for jumping seem durable.

Lpskier

• Baller_
I say anytime we can give someone wanting to get into the sport a lesser expensive option the better. That goes with any equipment or boat. If they stick with the sport they will purchase the more expensive kind. Well done @Thager and @Zman

• Administrators
@oldjeep depends on where you live and what level you want to ski. In the western US access to 1/2 decent water is pretty freaking expensive. I would love to do it on the cheap but that is not an option. That is another thread.

• Baller

Of all the things I buy for waterskiing, I'd still say that waterski gloves are probably the most budget item I use even at $90 for the Radar Boa gloves. I think I did around 80+ sets last summer with another 30+ runs on open water and maybe 70+ sets the year before with at least 60+ days on open water.....on the same gloves. The gloves are still in good shape with the exception of the soft part on the back of my thumbs where I always grab to pull the gloves off.

So easily 240+ times on the water for $90 gloves.... Sure as heck beats a $100+ vest that loses floatation after one season and a $1500 ski that you may be able to sell for half that after a season.

• Baller_
Ya but ya gotta think that someone getting onto the sport or re entering after decades off would be rather shocked at $100 gloves being a weekend worrier or similar. $25 for reasonable hand protection in a glove that will last a good while with that kind of use is a great find. Obviously there is a market for it or they wouldn't sell them.