What is the smallest HP boat you have ever skied behind?

Mastercraft81SnS

• Baller
Skied in the river when I was a kid with a 14' flat bottom aluminum boat and a 25hp Johnson. It wouldn't pull me up on slalom, had to kick off a ski. I would pull my cousin through rapids in the river, I never had the courage to try it.

• Baller_

I learned behind my grandparents' 1949 Chris Craft 14 foot runabout with our choice of 15 HP Johnson or 25 HP Goodyear Sea Bee. I even dropped a ski behind this boat and slalomed on a single jump ski with no rear binding.

I skied a few times behind our 12 foot aluminum boat with a 9.8 HP Mercury. We used a pair of 1950s Cypress Gardens 72 inch jump skis for instant planing.

I attempted to row that same 12 foot aluminum boat with a skier using those same jump skis. I got them partially planed out, but just couldn't get the job done.

My first deepwater slalom start was behind our 1966 Sea King 14 foot runabout with a 40 HP Evinrude. I skied that until I was 16. I took a big cut across the wake, stopped the boat, and it caused the driveshaft to crack in half. We "upgraded" to a 1974 Ebbtide Lakemaster with a 50 HP Johnson.

I skied various other boats (40 HP, 70 HP, 85 HP) in addition to my parents' boat until I bought my own at age 30. In that time, only 1 boat exceeded 100 HP - a 1976 Larson Shark with a 140HP I/O.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

55 HP Evinrude I believe behind probably a 1960's or 1970's Kingfisher bass boat. It would pull me and my friend both up on 2. Slalom was a different story and a lot of water was taken on during the process. As I got older and heavier I remember having to drop a ski then slowly sinking back down in the water a bit. I probably weighed 150 at the time so not too bad

1985 Kawasaki 550 Standup JetSki had 40 or 43 hp. Brother and I decided that we were going to try to destroy one another. One on the JetSki, the other on a slalom ski. We chose green for the rope and the winner was last on standing. Got up everytime and only ran into JetSki and brother probably 50% of the time. Not sure if a winner was declared. It was a long time ago...

• Baller

Tried it behind my Chris Craft kit boat with 10hp, but it didn't quite work. Next boat I

had was a Glaspar G3 with 40hp. That worked, but was sloooow getting up on 1 ski.

For a 1-ski dock start, the boat had to start with most of the towline slack. Took some

convincing, but the next step was a 75hp on it, which worked well enough.

• Baller

early 60's 14' Crosby with a 1982 25hp mercury outboard. 2 skis and drop to a slalom.....actually learned to barefoot off a kneeboard behind behind it around age 10. It was a neat fast little boat. Dad still has it and uses it frequently for cruises. Kind of kept the tradition going with my oldest daughter a couple years ago with out little 14' Lund and 25hp Merc. She was 5yr old at the time and loved it.zzw20o8eie7h.jpg

• Baller
Fortunate enough To have quite a fleet of boats to choose from for teaching my son to ski (once he's 2-3) including the same '75 SN that I learned to ski from (at 3) I think I'm gonna teach him with my 17' Carolina Skiff with 50 hp. Smaller wake at slower speeds, I'll be closer to him and overall I think it'll be less intimidating to him.

• Baller
I learned behind an 18' Regal with 150hp Merc. This was before the HP was rated at the prop, so subtract about 7% or around 140hp. Seemed weak, but then I see all these posts of sub 20hp skiers and I'm amazed they could get out of the water at all :smile:

• Baller
When I was about 15, my cousin's family had a 14' Crestliner with a 55HP Chrysler. I bet him I could stop it while slaloming behind it. (I had no idea if I could, but...) Sure enough, pulled out, made a big turn and the pull caused it to cavitate so bad it came off plane and the noise made him shut it down. I don't think we put any money on it or anything, but I won.

• Baller

My next-door friend had a small boat with a 25hp that we skied behind. The family

had a Garwood inboard, probably about 90-120 hp. Think that we were able to do

shoe skis with the small boat, including a deepwater start, although they were longer

than most shoe skis. Back when, we didn't have to worry about Nazi water cops, and

skied without an observer. I remember barefooting starting off a disc, aka Flying Saucer,

which sort of helped, except that it would slap-slap-slap like crazy when getting over

about 20 mph.

I know for myself I have skied behind 18 hp and even learned to slalom behind the same boat. Later when I started to compete I skied with the Puslinch ski club (the original home of the McLintock's) we use to do a ski show on our tournament weekend and for the show we pulled the smallest kid we could find on two skies behind a canoe with four guys paddling. He probably only stayed up for about 100ft

• Baller
33HP Evinrude on a 14' Aluminum Starcraft. Which was basically a John boat with a deck and steering wheel. I took the windshield off and put two strips of black no-skid on the deck for racing stripes. Yea, it was a race boat. :)

• Supporting Member

In fact, @skibrain, I might take that thought a step further: Should we be actively promoting skiing behind 13-ft boats with 35 hp? Nearly 2/3 of us seems to have started that way and we all became addicts.

Is there a lesson in here that starting in a very casual way is actually even better (for the future of our sport) than growing up with a Nautique in your backyard??

• Baller_

I got up for the first time behind an 18Hp Evinrude when I was 6 and we moved up to a 35Hp Chrysler on a 14' Penn Yan a short time later. I skied behind that until I was about 16. It was a big deal one year at Boy Scout camp that they had a Boston Whaler with a 55Hp motor! That was the cat's ass at the time.

Skied behind a Mastercraft for the first time in 1982 when I was 20 and took my first shot at the slalom course.

Damn kids don't know what they've got these days

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding