V-Type R Vs. V-Type

Tequespray

• Baller

Hey there Ballers,

The V-Type R came out in september but aside from pictures in the V type R thread, there really hasn't been much about how the R rides or feels Vs, the V Type.

Does it suit a different type of skier, is it more predictable in the turns?

I own the V-Type and I'm considering buying the V- Type R is it worth the change? What do I get from one to the other?

Thanks for any feedback you can give !

• Baller
I skied a V-Type last season and really really like it. I'm not sure it was as well rec'd by the majority as it was by me but it is a great ski. I think it just got out hyped but can go toe to toe with any model out there on the water. I also have a VTR to try out but haven't skied it yet. I do know that although the two skis share similar nomenclature the VTR is not a refinement or revision of the V-Type. Comparing the two is apples to oranges. The VTR is brand new all the way around so it's more appropriate to compare it to all skis and not just the V-Type.

• Baller

THis is a great conversation. I had just bought the V-Type and was a little frustrated when the R came out two weeks later.

I'm really happy with the V-Type. Played around with the ski tip weight and eventually took it off. Ski seemed like it turned alot faster.

Anyone have that experience?

Thanks

• Baller

#gginco

I agree that you should compare these skis to all skis if you are looking to change your ride.

In my case I love HO Syndicate skis. The V-type had a lot of hype when it came out as the best ski that HO had designed. But discussions in previous threads were mostly about tweaking the set up, some people that tried it commented that it was difficult to turn or find the sweet spot etc. and I guess HO listened and came out with a modified V-type or a new ski, however you want to see it.

The V Type is a beautiful ski and I like it it accelerates incredible after the turn but for me is sometimes unpredictable. I'm a novice that started skiing 14 months ago so I'm no expert, but I have skied other skis (Raptor, Goode Nano 1XT, D3 Helix, Goode Flextail and Connelly Prophecy), and I'm looking to find out the differences between these two skis from the same brand to see if I buy the new VTR or go somewhere else.

So what would be great is if you, or any one, having tried both skis could share the differences in the ride and behaviour of the ski.

• Baller
@Tequespray The V type and VTR are obviously high performance short line skis. The unpredictable feeling you're getting is probably due to the high performance nature of the ski in combination with only being a skier for 14 months. You're bound to somewhat fight any high end ski no matter what it is if you're trying to develop the necessary habits to ultimately benefit from the high end models. If you're thinking about shelling out big bucks I would recommend selecting a ski that is designed to be predictable and stable. You'll learn and improve much faster doing it that way. Just my 2 cents.

• Baller

Like @OKSkier, I was extremely disappointed when the VTR came out shortly after I purchased the V-type. Felt like the message from HO was that the V-type was a screw up, our bad, now shell out another $1,400 for the new and approved.

However, I'm sticking with the V-type and trying to make it work. Also have played around with the tip weight and have determined for me, the ski works best without it. Seems to lighten the ski up and feels quicker out of the turns. It's definitely a good ski but next time will take a hard look at Rad

• Baller

The differences between the original V-Type and the new V-Type R are many. The 2015 ski was a nice blend of features from our very successful A3 and S2 models. In a nutshell, the V-Type had the wider forebody of an S2 and a similar tail shape to the A3. It is a great ski and lots of folks (high end skiers and average Joe's alike) still run a lot of buoys on it. Was it out hyped? Maybe. But hopefully people don't feel slighted that we came out with a new ski a year later. It's our job to push, innovate, create...re-think. With some manufacturers, changes come even more often.

In simple terms, this year we added more rocker, slightly narrowed the front end and actually made the tail proportionally wider. From a bevel and concave standpoint, it's actually closer to an A1 than anything we've put out since.

What you are going to feel: essentially, you're going to feel a wider sweet spot. Less hunting for where to stand balanced on the ski. The other thing I notice with the new ski (and this has been stated in another thread already), is how forgiving the tip is and how it releases excess pressure. It's nearly impossible to slam a turn and bury the tip. The the ski is fast, the tip stays down heading to the first wake and the ski holds great direction. This all translates to less thinking. And when you think less and feel more balanced/comfortable, you usually have good passes.

Speaking of good passes, Nick Adams just tied the Australian Record on it last week with 4-41off. You're going to see more results on it this season too. But enough of my hype...

Stay tuned in the next week or so as we'll be announcing the details of a factory demo program for customers in the U.S. to try the ski at their home lake.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
still have time to return the ski and use the credit towards vtype r. I only paid 599 for it. so I'd likely have to fork out about another 900 bucks. don't know if that's worth it or not maybe just make the V-type work for me

• Baller

Thanks #Savaiusini this is a great answer and exacrly the feedback I was trying to get.

With this info is easier for those of us outside the US and no demo program to biy a ski

I soin will be the owner of a white 67 V- Type R

• Baller
I bought a v-type last year after skiing an A-1 for many years. I really think the v-type did every thing better BUT when I skied the A-1 it was an automatic ski no matter what I did at times it seemed to keep going. The V-type for me so far is not that automatic. I have to believe if people were liking the V-type it would have continued with a few tweeks. Seems the new ski might fit that bill. Figures!

• Baller
I never skied the V-Type, but skied the A1, A2, A3, and the V-Type R. The R has, so far, felt like a total departure from the A series skis, for me. The A's let me get heavy on the tail, when I wasn't skiing technically. The R has none of that. The tip stays low and develops incredible angle into the first wake and a simple transition after center line. It is different animal, and had taken some getting used to. You cannot stick the tip. It Skis differently than most other Skis I've used, and had me doing some odd things early on. I'd say the V-Type was likely more of the old feeling than the R, but that is pure conjecture. A lot of people are still putting up big numbers on it. HO Skis puts out nothing but top notch skis, in my experience, and I don't think you could possibly go wrong with either.

The upgrade is well worth it. I am no expert but since getting my feet wet on the new vtype R I am already at max speed and shortening the line. And this is all in my first set or two. I had a demo on the vtype a year or so back and found it to be a nice ski but nothing like this new model. The cross course speed is what makes it for me. Make the turn as usual and be patient...I have never been so early to the buoys! Thx HO skies

• Baller
Thanks to @savaiusini and Dave Wingerter, I picked up a demo V-Type R on this past week. I have been skiing the last few months on a '15 V-Type, and have skied the best, and most consistent I have ever skied, so of course I was very curious about the Type-R (...can always buy "hope", right?!?). Thanks to @savaiusini and DW, they got me dialed with the right fin and binding specs. Went out my first set, and off the dock ran passes that for me are close to PB's. My first impression was that it was very stable, and unlike some of the characteristics of the S1, S2, and first V-Type, could be pushed, even if running a bit late, or not quite the line/start you would like. I have a feeling that I am really going to have a long-term relationship with this one! :) Thanks Sam and Dave, you guys are the best!

• Baller
I was able to ride the VTR this weekend. Coming off the '15 VT it is, as expected, a completely different ride. The VTR feels like it rides a lot deeper than the '15 VT and so the VTR feels more stable. There is a noticeable "shut down" out of the edge transition. It's not abrupt and there is no tip bite at the turn at all so it's a welcome characteristic but the VTR feels like more work and maybe not as fast as the VT. The VT had a lot more free glide in general whereas the VTR feels a bit sticky. Could just be setup...I hope. I'll be moving the bindings back a hair for sure. I suspect this ski is going to have a bigger sweet spot than the VT. Overall, it felt similar to my old NanoOne XT. It was the first set of the season for me and I didn't ski any buoys so it's not an honest assessment yet.

• Baller
@puddymullet can you describe what is going on and what fin/boot settings you have on the ski right now? I would be happy to offer some input if you could tell me your stats as well (weight, speed, rope length). Feel free to DM me. B)

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

Considering a VTR myself. The question I have is what effect will a different boot have on the flex of the ski? They info on the HO site suggests the new Vmax boot allows the ski to perform at its best however I don't plan on replacing my current boots, primarily due to the added expense. Can anyone offer any comment on that?? @savaiusini ??

• Baller
@inland Unless there's some unusual circumstance, I don't ever recommend changing ski and boots at the same time. A new ski already introduces lots of new variables to the experience and boots add just as many, if not more. I would not be overly concerned with a boot's impact on ski flex. My personal opinion is that two independent boots have less effect on ski flex than two boots mounted to a single plate.

@savaiusini I agree with both you and @Horton on this issue. I was interested to know what the thought was in using my current set up on the new ski and its potential effect on the flex pattern. Considering I have 2 boots and 2 plates, presumably the effect would be less negative that a single plate? Not sure.

@Garn ....I was thinking the same. It's funny watching the video on the HO site where Will is shown wearing the Vmax boots in some shots and Reflex in others. I think there are some of him in Xmax boots as well.

Thanks for the responses.

• Baller
@inland It all depends on the plate. Most use some combination of fixed holes and floating slots to try to allow the ski to flex independent of the single plate. Plate thickness is also a big factor. Your double plate setup should be just fine for testing the new ski.

• Baller
@rodltg2 Aside from being a cool looking badge, it is a 5oz metal plate with an elastomer dampening pad. Not only does it dampen vibration in certain conditions, you can also move the weight fore and aft to change to amount of tip pressure you feel.

I'm picking up a V-TYPE R to try out this weekend. Are people having the most success with the stock settings, at least for a good starting point? I'll be on a 66", 36 mph skier getting into 38 off. Any insight is appreciated!