Carbon Pro Ballast system????????

oldmanskier

• Baller

Being the new owner of a 2014 Carbon Pro I was curious as to what everyone thinks of the ballast system used to adjust for no passenger weight.

The person I purchased my boat from preferred to use shot bag weights to level boat.

They did not want to have all that dampness under the bow of the boat which could cause the tank get all scummy and dirty from being wet all the time.

The ballast tank on my boat has never been used and looks like new.

Questions:

Do ballers with Carbon Pros use the ballast system?

If so how do you determine how much water to pump in?

Or

Do most of you still use weights of some kind to balance the boat?

oldmanskier

• Administrators
In all three Centurions have had the ballast system works excellent. A full ballast tank is about equivalent of one adult male. 190 lbs -ish

• Baller

Use the ballast in my boat all the time. Works sweet when there is only two of us. 35-45 second fill and go!

I watch others constantly moving weights of many types around in their boats and every time think "wow my weight issue is easily solved with the push of a switch"

• Administrators

@oldmanskier no. You turn it on and wait to hear water come out the Overflow. Or if you don't want to completely full tank you can flip up the passenger seat and look up the tank and see the level - then turn it off when you want.

The switch has 3 settings off, fill and empty

Bought a 2012 CP in August and LOVE the ballast. I cannot imagine using something manual when you have this convenience. The best way to know when it's level is to turn it on when the skier is in the water, they visually tell you when the platform is level. After a few times, you will know about where to fill it up and you can make minor adjustments in either direction in a few seconds with the press of a button. Also- we only fill ours up about 30-35% and it compensates for me while driving and I'm 180 lbs. I can't believe the "big 3" didn't think of this years ago...

• Baller

@Horton yes I realize that. MC calls it skiers ballast or something like that. The 2011 WTT I ski behind occasionally has it. Looks like it has been an option since at least 2008

2008prostar-197

Ballast None

(Optional 180 lb. side tank and 432 lb. rear tank, 612 lb. total)

Make that since at least 2007

2007-prostar-197

One observer's-side tank: 180 lb.

• Baller

FWIW I guess it is called MTS (Mastercraft Training System) and has been around since 2003

mastercraft history

•MasterCraft Training Systems (MTS), which is a ballast tank under the observer's seat in the storage area and holds up to 185 pounds, simulates the weight balance of tournament conditions. Convenient dash controls and a gauge control the weight.

• Baller

The CP Ballast works very well for its primary purpose. That is to level the craft when running with just a driver. Or I suppose a much larger driver than observer! (Much like the mentioned MC "MTS" ). The originals owner's concern of underbow dampness is really not a valid issue with a heavy-guage sealed tank. Even if you are concerned about some condensation then just empty the Ballast each day.

I use it often. But also take two shot bags to tournaments so drivers-judges can fine tune the boat to their liking.