2016 Radar Vapor Unboxing

Horton

• Administrators
@swc5150 I make an effort to keep bindings separate from any ski review. I am currently using Reflex white cuff and R style rear. I may or may not be back on Radar boots when I do the review.

• Baller

Love my 2016 Vapor! I was able to set PB's all through the winter on it and am super excited about the upcoming spring and summer.

It's also great than when you reach out to dudes like Rossi and others with questions regarding different types of set ups or configurations - they actually answer you back! Pure AWESOME!!!! :)

Now to just get over this broken foot, get going on physio, and get back on the water soon!

• Baller
@gmut what size 2015 do you need numbers for? @skihard thanks for the kind words. @markchilcutt just to set the record straight, I designed the flat concave in the tail of the new Vapor for performance reasons. Its a nice sidebar that it makes measuring dft insanely easy and reproducible.

• Baller

@slow - The speed will be a smidge slower, but you will not notice or care about it because you will be so much earlier to the buoy.

I would say that moving from the gray Strada to the '16 Vapor, you will most importantly have to learn to do less.

By this, I mean, you are probably doing a lot of something during the turns or to finish the turns. You will need to stop doing all of that. The vapor needs no input from the skier to finish the turn. If you do give it as much input as you do on the Strada, it will not dump you. Rather, it will still turn nicely, but finish with some pretty aggressive angle.

• Baller
@slow - I've had the RS1, then the Orange Strada, the Green Vapor, now the 2016 Vapor....major improvements from Strada to Gen One Vapor in general stability, in the way the ski continuously seemed to gain angle, the way the ski tracked from buoy to centerline; just a major improvement. Now the 16 Vapor has that familiar Vapor feel that I REALLY like, yet it's been refined in ways I didn't realize it could. I'm far more balanced over the center of the ski. This is something I really notice on the pullout and glide, I just get automatically centered versus having a bit too much rocker perhaps in gen one, where I had to really think about or search for my body position fore & aft. The tip stays down much better on the 2016 than my Gen One as well, allowing me to keep speed a bit better through my on side. And honestly, its just a very effortless ski to ski on. This really is a fantastic ski

• Baller
Thanks for the great reviews @Texas6 and @ToddL. I would add that I'm running more buoys on the new ski AND feeling a substantial reduction in body fatigue. This has allowed me to ski more sets during the week which is giving me more shots at my hardest pass.

• Baller

The blue vapor was an incredible ski and the 2016 is an improvement to that ski. Very predictable and reliable, which creates consistency while working on your hardest pass. Like Rossi said earlier, this ski is very efficient, which translates into less effort which allows us to practice more. Everything the blue ski did well, the new ski does just a little better. Radar definitely did their homework on this one. If you haven't tried it you definitely should. Just set it up with stock numbers and go get a PB. Something to be said for all of the R&D that went into this ski and the stock numbers being dialed in.

• Baller

Also, is the 2016 Vapor supposed to come with a different wing than a 2015?

My sons 2016 came with the wing mounted backwards and it seems to be the Mapple wing (wich is significantly larger than Radars 2015 wing)

Factory sent a message to my dealer the ski might have been shipped with the wrong wing, they even attached a photo of a wing mounted backwards.

Skied my first sets of the season on my new 2016 Vapor Saturday. First set was 4 passes at 22 off felt great to be back on the water. 2nd set went 22,28,28 and decided to go 32 on my last of 4 passes. I was a bit late coming out of 1 ball but easily got back into the pass at 2 (RFF) and smoked the rest of the pass!! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER ATTEMPTING AND RUNNING 32 OFF ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON. The new ski is lagit. To @chrisrossi and everyone at Radar thanks for continuing to make awesome products!!

• Baller

@DanE - There a few sets of stock numbers floating around. You also have Rossi's and also Rini's. The factory seems to be sending out skis with the numbers that were being used at Nationals, which are:

67" Ski

Bindings - 29.50

9 degree

Great place to start and tweak for personal style and preference.

I have tried factory, Rossi's and Rini's and honestly don't know which ones I like the best. Try them all and see what works for you.