Neo tops - what is your favourite?

pgmoore

• Baller

My neo top is starting to show some wear. A few tears here and there means it's soon time for a new one.

Living in Alberta (and being skinny!), I wear my neo top all summer long. I'm not too proud to be warm!

What are your favourite neo tops?

Has anyone tried the Camaro tops? I know there has been great feedback on the wetsuits. Pro Top (0.5mm) vs Black Tec Shirt (1.5mm)

I will definitely lean towards something warm as compared to something cold.

• Baller

I have 3 heater tops, one for each round! I have an O'Neill Hammer 2/1, an Xcel, and an Eagle top. Here are my thoughts on each...

O'Neill - I think the 2/1 refers to 2mm of torso thickness and 1mm of sleeve thickness. This is probably the warmest of my tops and is a rear half zip with a long zipper string.

Xcel - I really like this top because it has a full front zipper. I think it is designed as a SCUBA dive top. Probably not as warm as my O'Neill, but I think partially because I should have got one size smaller.

Eagle - This is my oldest top and I rarely wear it anymore because I like the other two better. This is still a decent top, but I like the other two better.

• Baller

That's a strong vote in favour of Camaro from @Wish and @igkya!!! Sounds good to me.

What about the Pro Top (silver one) vs Black Tec? Any feedback on that?

@Than_Bogan, I think you are a big Camaro guy too?

• Baller
@Andre - did you find a shop in Canada selling Camaro? I've only been able to find it on US websites. That isn't a really a problem, it's just nice to pay in Canadian dollars and avoid customs, etc.

• Baller
I bought the Camaro Blacktec on sale last year for $60. It keeps me incredibly warm. Will likely never wear a dry suit or wet suit again. Just go with a heater top Camaro and board shorts down to 60 degrees. Colder than that and I'll be alpine skiing. Aside from being easy to tear there is no downside.

• Baller

@pgmoore

No. A friend who has spend 6 weeks working at Coble this spring brought back my order (6 pairs of MSN gloves and 2 Camaro tops)from the US.

No CDN taxes or duty and free shipping to Coble was good enough to compensate for the exchange rate...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
The blacktec top fits so good that when i'm done skiing a set and take it off, there are dry spots on the inside layer. No wonder we can wear these in such cold waters and still be comfortable.

• Baller

@pgmoore I have a .5mm Modetec top and a 2mm Titanium LS shorty. The 2mm shorty I would wear into sub 50 degree water, keep on in the boat after skiing and still stay warm.

The .5mm top is more of a mid to upper -60 degree air and water top in my opinion (or for those Florida skiers who think 80 degree water is cold). Whereas with the 2mm I don't really feel a wind chill effect, with the .5mm I can if the air is cool. Being further north and probably more tolerant to the cold, maybe it would suit you for colder temperatures.

• Supporting Member

@DaveLemons Whaaaaaat!? :smile: Every person I've ever seen try one has been totally shocked by the warmth vs. whatever they were previously using.

In all seriousness, is it possible you have either the wrong size or just plain the wrong thing? Camaro's branding is very confusing (and that may be kind), so you can get some weird stuff that may even have the word Blacktec on it.

If you bought yours from Robby's Ski Shop with guidance from Robby herself, and you still don't like it, then I guess I have to fall back on my massage therapist's favorite phrase: "If we were all the same, life would be VERY boring."

• Administrators

I am all Camaro all the time. The Modtec is worth every penny although I would really like a long sleeve spring blacktec for next spring.

I have been rocking a prototype 2017 Camaro vest for the last few months. By far the best vest from Camaro to date. I am looking forward to seeing the production version. (I have no idea if the real vest will be like the one I have)

As always please get all your Camaro, O'Neill, Rip Curl or Billabong at http://www.perfski.com/

• Baller
thanks people I will be getting a Camaro long sleeve Blacktec top as soon as possible. My O'Neill Original top will do for now as water is warming up 67 degrees and 70 degree air today.

• Baller

I mostly use an Oneil tank top, best for me so far. I also have a 0.5mm Camaro top and a sleeveless 0.5mm shortie, I like the shortie not the top so much.

I have tried the new Rip Curl eBomb top, super elastic and comfortable and now it is on the top of my purchase list.

• Baller

Skied with my new Camaro top for the first time tonight. The stream of texts with @schafer in the picture pretty much sums it up.

@Than_Bogan is right... this thing is straight up alien tech. It shouldn't be as warm as it is. The combination of thinness, comfort, flexibility, and warmth doesn't make any sense.

Needless to say, so far I am very impressed.

gk0wqfljb12s.png

@pgmoore I am also a fellow Canuck water skier and looking at the Blacktec top. I am interested in the Camero. Is it difficult to take on and off? Does it ride up on you from the bottom? Any advise on fit or longevity would be greaty appreciated. Thanks!

• Baller

@Shane - First off, I can't recommend the Blacktec top enough. It defies logic as to how warm and comfortable that top is. I am a huge fan and you should go buy one immediately.

Putting it on and off - the material is thin and flexible (see logic defying, above), so putting it on and off is way easier than my other, non-Camaro-tops.

Does it ride up - nope, it stays in place.

Longevity - I've been using this top for three seasons now, with no issues. That being said, I live in Edmonton so I'm not skiing 20 sets a week or anything... The material is for sure a bit delicate. You do have to be a bit more careful not to just drop it on the dock or nick it with things. But with a tiny bit of foresight, I haven't found any problems at all.

Seriously... go get one of these. You won't regret it.

@schafer may have some things to add here as well. He's just as much of a fan-boy as I am.

• Baller

Dry very fast when turn inside out !

2 full seasons on a pair of them,about 150 sets on each,still in very good shape with a couples of littles nicks but i'm not the most careful...By far my favorite ski gear.

Did you buy one yet ?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Love the Camaro Blacktec. As mentioned, handle with care as it nick's easily. Exceptionally warm and comfortable. I am 5'8", 155 lbs. and wish the waist area fit more snug. It is a little loose. Size M.

I also like my Eagle heater top a lot. It has taped seems and the sleeves are tapered at the wrists so not to interfere with your gloves. Not sure if Eagle will still tape the seems?

• Baller

ONeill Hyperfreak for water temps above 55F. Camaro Blacktec full suit for water colder than that. Drysuit is retired after the Camaro. BUT, the Blacktec stuff isn't anywhere close to as durable as the ONeill stuff. Not even in the same zip code.

So while I agree the Camaro stuff is crazy good in terms of warmth, if you're looking for an every day heater top, I'd get two ONeills and put on a dry one before each set.

• Baller_
I have a bunch of Camero and love it all, especially my heater top, but 90% of the time I wear a Radar sleeveless heater top. I wear it most of the winter in Orlando, and I haven’t worn anything but in NY since mid-June.

Lpskier

• Baller
I use the Eagle Heater top. I have 2; a zip front and a pullover. I absolutely love them both. I ski pretty much every day, I hate skiing cold & I'm thin so I wear them pretty much all year. Both are 2 years old & in great shape. Also, Russell is great and so is Larry. I just had an issue with a vest & they took great care of me. However, after hearing all the praise for Camaro I’m thinking I should try one, sounds like a great product.

• Baller
Another Camaro fan here. With water and air temperature at 42 and 46 respectively I preferred my Camaro over my drysuits which I no longer use. When it is that cold I wear the long sleeved shorty over the.5 shirt. It really slows the water gettingvto your back. I am using the silver/grey suits not the black tec.