Handle position on deep water start for beginner

david_quail

Hi foks, Beginner skier, 30MPH, 15 off. Getting about 4 balls ... although an offside turn gone wrong will get me earlier often.

Question about deep water starts though .... which oddly enough I still struggle with.

I noticed today that the ski is actually resting against the "V" part of the rope quite close to the handle just as the boats about to "go". This does 2 things:

1. Pivots the ski way out to about 10 o'clock (I'm LFF).

2. The bigger deal, it pivots my body counter clockwise in the water to about 10 o'clock

I'm usually able to save it ... but it's always a bit of a battle ... and I crash about 1/5 times because I'm just not balanced coming out. I always thought it was because the boat was starting at a bit of an angle (we're at a private ski lake where the start is pretty tight) ... but realized what was going on today.

Not being confident coming out of the hole really gets me off on the wrong foot and is exhausting. Mentally, I'm in the water focusing on the start (rather than the course) ... and once I'm up, I'm just thankful I'm up. I also spin at the other end rather than drop again ... because getting up is such a pain. I'd love to get to a point where the start is an afterthought.

Any tips? I seem to have 2 options.

1. Loosen up the ball and extend my legs further so that the ski rests against the straight part of the rope (which goes against the whole "tight and as much of a ball as possible" mantra

2. Hold the handle vertically so the V looks omre like an I ... and doesn't pivot me in the water.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

• Baller

I am LFF and the handle Vee rubs against my ski too.

Unlike most almost all LFF skiers, I position the rope on the left side of my ski. You might try moving the rope to the left side of your ski since it seems that is where it wants to go anyway. Rotate the ski to 2:00.

If that doesn't help, go back to the standard rope position.

• Baller

OK. Here's a tip. Keep your ski at about 10 o'clock. When the boat starts to go, just start skiing to the left. Seriously, you want your ski between your hips and the boat. Thus, if it is moving to the left, just move with it as you come up.

Other tips:

Bend knees more.

Keep handle lower, close to the toes of the front boot.

Allow the push of the water to help you bend your knees more as the load increases in the initial part of the start.

Wait a bit later before you start to push yourself up.

• Baller

My few cents:

- Forget about people watching, in reality they do not care what you do in the water. There are only two things in the world - you and the boat.

- Use every chance to practice water start, do not spin to avoid it.

- Do what you curently do and keep to mantras - knee bent to chest, heel kept to a.. )

- One day something will "click" in your head and things will get so easy.... just a matter of time and No. of attempts.

- You will never fall inside if bottom of front leg is exactly in line between you and pylon.

For some people advise: "look on pylon" hepls

And.... take it easy! Relax!

• Baller
Use your strength to keep your upper body vertical and your knees between your shoulders and the handle. Do not let the boat pull your shoulders over the top of your knees. Still keep your knees bent, still be patient, still be in the ball, but stay strong.

• Baller
I agree with @gregy I put both palms down for the deep water start and it gives me more leverage than the baseball grip. Always remember the basics, arms straight, knees bent, let the boat do the work...

• Baller

Like blue sky said, Sounds like you're letting your hands get taken towards the boat really early in the pull possibly by letting your shoulders forwards and your back bend into a c. Just like everything else spinal you don't want to be loaded in a really flexed spine.

Waterski mag usually has very sales heavy content - but there is a good photo of a strong deep water back posture.

• Baller
Try some dry land training. Attatch an old handle to something solid. With feet in slalom position, arms extended, palms down, squat as low as you can go (deep water starting position) then stand. Do as many reps as you can. This worked for me after hip replacement 4 years ago. I improved my balance and strength and now almost never miss a start. I still do this exercise when I haven't been on the water for awhile.

• Baller

I start with only front foot pressure. It helps put the ski at about a 45 degree angle to the water's surface so that it will come out easily as it moves forward in the water. When I am ready to stand up, I push equally with both feet (like @m_pags said).

It is OK for your shoulders to be forward at the beginning as long as your front foot knee is also at your chest (squat, cannon ball, etc.). In this position, your hands will be closer to the ski. To keep things in place, I focus on knuckles to the toes of the front foot.

In a tournament, you can get all sorts of deep water start pulls. Hard and fast, slow and soft, start slow then hard, etc. I find that if I focus on coming out of the water in a squatted position then standing up from there, I can get up regardless of the driver/boat pull.

• Baller
Similar to skibrain, I also start with my ski at about 2:00 (I am RFF). I have both palms down with the rope on the left side of the ski and pretty close to the 'V'. I only have a few inches of the ski sticking out of the water. I do keep my head up but thats more to prevent water from getting in my eyes than anything. But some people bury their head towards their knees.

• Baller
I agree to hands close to front of ski, and actually allowing yourself to get pulled over the front a little. Don't try to stand up until on top of water. I do both palms down. As soon as I start to feel the boat pull I allow myself to get pulled to the ski, then pull legs in to try to get the ski up toward the surface and horizontal so less drag. I think a lot of beginners put too much weight on back foot, and push against the water creating too much drag. This approach helps me deal with both my boat with a weak pull, and stronger boats when the driver still thinks they need to floor it. I use a RTP, but still have back foot in, keep back leg knee in tight to front leg or that will create drag also.

• Baller

Most important things already mentioned.

I am LFF. Dbl Profile boots.

Point ski at 10 o'clock. Type 1 feet above the water.

Really sit down and get both knees close to my chest. That is type 6" from knees to chest.

Hugh around both legs using the handle.

My but then almost sits on my back binding.

Left hand touch the front, left binding.

Take a deep breath to strengthen your core muscles.

Close eyes (use contacts)

Bend face forward to protect nose from water spray.

Get started.

Slowely exhall during the start through the nose.

Wait to stand up.....

Best luck.