Cover Sports Cover ruined my upholstery....Or did it?

303Skier

I purchased a Cover Sports cover about two months ago for my immaculate 2008 SN 196. The cover I had was getting old and I figured to protect my investment I'd get the best cover made. I did a lot of research and I heard Brent at Cover Sports made one of the best covers. Long story short, I purchased an all black cover and about 4 weeks later I received it. The cover took awhile to figure out how all the straps worked but after an hour I figured it out, got the cover on and went home feeling assured that my boat was going to be protected form rain, hail, wind and sun!

Now I'm not kidding this boat is immaculate! The upholstery is in perfect condition, bright white, no stains rips or anything and I'm very particular about how I take care of it. I use 303 Aerospace protectant to wipe down the interior after every use. The next week I went back to the lake, uncover the boat and as soon as I uncovered the back of the boat....BOOM right in my face are my back hatch covers with this purple/black dye stain all over them! I couldn't believe my eyes! The rest of the upholstery was fine but the back hatches were ruined. I immediately went and got a Magic Eraser and tried to rub the purple/black stain off and this stuff wasn't moving! I figured the new cover had bled some black dye into the vinyl and that was it....SMOKED! So I skied and put it out of my mind. I emailed Brent the next day and asked him what the heck was going on and what we were going to do!? He replied back to me with an article that made no sense about this magical changing color vinyl phenomena. This boat is 10 years old, how would the Vinyl just magically change colors now!? And very ironic it happened right when I got this new cover. Now my only conclusion is that it was either dye from the cover...Or it was caused by extreme heat because the cover is very tight on that hatch area.

I have no idea what to do and how to proceed. I got some quotes for new skins and they're about $200 each not including the labor to put them on. Also now a few weeks later the top of the back seat is stating to do the same thing! If I go trough the trouble and expense of new skins is this just going to happen again? Should I get a refund for the cover? Should Brent pay for the damages?

• Baller
On my phone I can't quite see what's going on. Sure appears to be dye bleeding thru. But there's also a mold that looks similar to that which can't be killed. Like mentioned, put scrap fabric there and see what happens. Also, always run a fan or two along with engine hatch propped open. I remember when you got the cover, seems I recall the post. Sticks out in my mind as I'm starting to shop for a cover. I've always heard Angola Canvas was the best for a Correct Craft but Cover Sports interested me too. Keep us posted, if Cover Sports blows you off I think I'll just cross them off my list.

That stinks. I can't speak to black sunbrella, but I have a red sunbrella cover from Brent, which has been on my 1998 SN for eight years with no harm to the vinyl.

Thinking back, there were some issues with the black MasterCraft factory covers years ago with staining. You might look into some of those old threads on the MC forum. Just a thought. Again, sorry this happened.

• Baller_

On my previous boat, I had some reddish stains develop on the vinyl in areas that were not in contact with the cover (it was a beige canvas cover anyway). I believe it was some sort of mold/mildew that was caused by trapped moisture. Some light bleach water eliminated it. Don't know if yours is a severe case or not.

Or, could the 303 protectant have reacted with the cover to release dye?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@MISkier This time of year in Colorado it's very hot and dry, no mold or mildew issues here. Even with my old cover I had very hot days using it with no issues what so ever!

It's very unlikely that the 303 protectant caused this issue but it did cross my mind. I don't use a lot of it and usually wipe it all off before the cover goes on.

• Baller

few things

#1 - Magic eraser is a sanding sponge and permanently damages vinyl

#2 - looks like the typical moist bleed through that you see on Malibus, goes away in the sun and comes from your vinyl backer not the cover. Happens with covers like that especially that run the water right onto the cushions rather than off the back of the boat.

#3 - what is it with these aftermarket covers that don't actually cover the back of the boat? Evolution are the same way, makes no sense.

#4 - who is still making black covers?

• Baller

The black covers make everything too hot and make the weird vinyl color issue worse on a Malibu anyways, The grey covers seem to eliminate the weird temporary reddish brown "staining" that seems to happen where the covers keep the vinyl from breathing.

Unfortunately using a ton of 303 protectant doesn't seem to help with this particular problem since the color is coming from the inside of the vinyl if your issue is the same one that is seem commonly on Malibu boats. I still use a ton of it for other reasons though.

• Baller

If you do a little googling you'll find lots of folks with all brands of boats complaining about vinyl discoloration after covering. This is an article from a vinyl MFG about one cause of the issue

The document, titled Pink Stain and Vinyl Coated Fabrics, is from Spradling International, Inc., P.O. Box 1668, 200 Cahaba Valley Parkway North, Pelham, AL 35124, 800-333-0955. The quality of the copy I obtained from the dealer is poor so I'm summarizing it rather than providing a scanned copy.

Summary:

Pink Stain is a by-product, dye, of a specific type of bacterial micro-organism. This dye is soluble in plasticizer, a primary ingredient in vinyl coated fabrics, and will stain any vinyl coated fabric with which it comes in contact. Care should be taken in the construction of vinyl covered fabrics to insure the seams are water tight if possible and that the foam cushions are designed to avoid water saturation and are quick drying if they do get wet. The foam and other materials used in the construction of the seats and cushions should be treated with an effective anti-microbial agent during construction. "Frequent and proper cleaning" should be undertaken after construction to avoid moisture and dirt retention in crevices. Boats should be covered when not in use and wet towels and swimsuits, etc. should not be stowed on boats. Adequate ventilation is important and the use of a moisture reducing desiccant is recommended.

• Baller
Yeah, supposedly it doesn't happen as much if the cover is not in direct sunlight. I've seen this happen on my inlaws boat with a black cover and it typically goes away if you leave it un covered in the hot sun for a few hours. Mine lives in the garage and has a light gray cover for the week it sits in the lake and I havn't had any of those issues.

• Baller

Yes, it seems like the Malibu issue is glue or something in the backing foam and the same issue seems to be documented in Mastercrafts. Although the funny thing is that sun seems to cure both of them.

Bleach is pretty bad for the thread and likely for the vinyl. I'd just stick your boat uncovered in the sun and see if that takes care of it before putting any sort of chemicals on the vinyl.

• Baller
@303Skier , We have seen exactly the same issue with the black covers down here in Pueblo on some of the Malibu's. They all disappear without any work when exposed to the sun here in Colorado. Doesn't seem to take very long either 1+ hours. It doesn't seem to matter the age of the cover either.

• Baller

I had the exact same issue on my 196. In my case, I have a tight-fit waterline cover. I also use 303 after every use. The stains only appeared in areas the cover touched vinyl and after leaving the boat covered for more than 2 days in direct sunlight/heat. Once I discovered the issue, the stains appeared to fade away throughout the next couple of days while using the boat and leaving uncovered (parked in the garage). My solution has been this: I use white bath towels to lay across the back hatches, back seat, gunwale pad, as well as the motor box (essentially anywhere the cover may come into contact with the vinyl) and never park the boat out of the shade while covered. This has seemed to resolve the issue. Going forward, I will continue using the towels, and I will be keeping a small tub of DampRid in the boat in the case it gets covered before fully drying out.

Hopefully your vinyls will go back to normal with enough direct sun exposure and 303.

Update...have been in contact with owner of Cover Sport, Brent Fleming. I asked Brent to issue me a refund and then I would ship the cover back. I received an email back from Brent calling me a liar and a few other words that I won't say on this forum. If you're in the market for a new cover stay as far away from this company as possible. Very unprofessional and the owner seems to have zero respect for his customers and isn't willing to help at all! This is the worst experience I've ever had. Oh and I didn't mention how he sent me the wrong cover the first time that was for a totally different boat!

If anyone is interested in my Cover Sport cover, PM me for a killer deal.

• Baller
I think the key is to avoid a black or other very dark cover. Malibu stopped using black covers from the factory several years back because of this very issue. Despite knowing this myself, I took the risk because black "looks cool". I've now bought a second cover from Westland in cadet gray to use as my "everyday" cover. The black Evolution will be used for towing and trips to Norris Lake.

• Baller

I can't believe that the supplier won't allow a return and refund. I can imagine a refusal to pay for damages, but he should at least issue a refund. And to be verbally abusive is amazing for a business that wants to stay in business,

I highly recommend covers from @Xpropman. I have an '08 196 with a cover from him and it's still good 8 years later.

@6balls did you get the cover from @Xpropman? Are you satisfied with it?

@LeonL it gets worse! Now I'm getting threatening emails from Brent calling me a "liar" and a "little Bit*h". I cannot believe Brent is still in business and I'm extremely shocked at his behavior, unprofessionalism and lack of respect. I've been extremely nice and simply asked for a refund. Very bizarre behavior!

• Baller

Threatening emails? In what way? There is a legal issue involved when someone verbally or electronically threatens you. I see that @Chad_Scott has commented on this thread. Maybe Chad can provide some advice for you concerning threats. Who's Cory Anderson and what kinda dog does he have in this fight?

Won't help now, but go to @Xpropman for your next cover.

• Baller_
I've had this happen to me from a business owner. Perfectly fine business dealings till I had a reasonable issue with work done. Then the abuse and threatening emails started. Some folks just do not know how to work with customers that question anything they do. If I did that in my business I would not have one. So much easier to eat a little crow with customers then the alternative. Makes 0 business sense to me. No business owner is perfect but some just think they are and above it all. It will bite him in the end.

@LeonL Sorry, no threats being made but Brent is forwarding me very offensive emails in response to my kind request for a refund. At this point, I am done with all the drama and removing myself from the situation just want fellow ballers to be aware and use caution when dealing with Brent and Cover Sports.

@oldjeep The trailerable covers like Evolution and Coversports are designed to be drum tight without tent poles. The reason they don't cover the entire transom is because they need a little room to get tension from the attachment point (hooks under the rubrail). In my case, as with many older boats, there is no trunk and, thus, no vinyl back there in contact with the cover.

Cover%201.JPG

Cover2.JPG

• Baller
@east tx skier the commercial sewing covers are trailerable and tight without poles and don't leave the back of the boat exposed. The only time I use my one pole is when moored so that the water actually rolls off the back portion rather than collecting in a big flat spot. Seen pictures of lots of them (Evo) and honestly yours is the only one that actually looks like it fit right.

• Baller
@303Skier I have the same boat and color scheme, maybe the same year (2009?). Just got a new cover from Skiboatcovers.com. This is my third cover (different boats) from them. It is dark navy blue. I have had not issues, but it is a different fitting cover. I have a water line fit with skirts to completely block out sunlight. It works great because it sits on a lift. Highly recommend them. I previously had a rub rail fit cover from them that worked great. Still have it as a backup. Again it does not fit like the evolution cover but it may be worth looking into.

@oldjeep I'm not familiar with those covers. I just was explaining why these covers are designed the way they are. As for a flat spot, mine doesn't have one when installed. Water runs right off. And if the rear gel coat on my boat gets a little wet, I'm not too bothered by it. Evolution and Coversports were started by former Rankin employees, Cory and Brent. Each improved on the Rankin design. It has been a good cover for me. I'm glad you like your cover.

• Baller_
Commercial sewing makes all of our Yamaha Boat covers and they all have poles. For non tower boats, they may not use them. @Xpropman has an outfit in Indiana make them and the cover we had for our 2008 196 was the best cover I have owned.