What is Behind Your Reflex

BlueSki

• Baller

I know many run the R-style rear (as well as rear toe straps) for reasons discussed elsewhere. I am curious about what other rear boot set ups people are using and how they have worked out. (I found a 2015 Reflex/Vapor post, but no updates.).

I am using double reflex after using the r-style in the past and so far, so good. I have heel pads in both of my boots and it keeps my rear heel from feeling anchored. Just curious about what others are running.

• Baller
My son uses a RTP and I skied on a Reflex front with a RTP for a fall. I know some folks that ski Reflex front with Wiley rear. The nice thing about a Wiley rear is that you can easily get it close to the front which I think is tough with double hard shells.

• Baller

I am sporting an early/mid 2000's vintage HO Animal. I do not tighten the laces to make it easier to come out (god-forbid).

Note with my original Animals I have never come out of my boots. When I got my reflex Supershell I was concerned that the front might pop off without coming out of the rear so that is why I don't cinch the laces. I also had a hard time adjusting to the boot when I first started and was cinching the rear laces. I tried loosening them and started skiing better so I just never went back.

I would like to give a RTP a shot.

• Baller

What is behind my Reflex? A scarred up shin. 16 stitches over the last 2 years. Now I ski with a soccer shin guard under a neo sleeve.

But seriously, I have a D3 Leverage rubber binding for my rear boot. I use a custom molded orthodic as a foot bed, and it gives me really good connection to the ski. Tried skiing with a RTP years ago, but couldn't make it work.

• Baller
Currently a Wiley rear behind my supershell. At some point this fall I am considering giving the RTP a shot. I came from 10 seasons on PowerShells and am enjoying the setup. I can get my back boot real close.

• Baller
I have an FM Evo rear that I modified the toe so the Reflex release would work. Works well for me. I little more support that than the R-style and you can adjust the ankle flex with the top strap. Never any type of release issue and no scared shin.

• Baller
Behind my Vapor boot I have an open toe Radar Vector without the top lace, I've been doing some rear boot testing the last couple of weeks and just gone back to this boot because it works so well. I have ground the feather frame away and hard mounted it to a D3 rear plate. No issues with releasing either because I don't run any real tension on the upper lace.

• Baller
@DanE according to my skiing friends that use Reflex it is from the release mechanism hitting their shin, not the boot. I have been using a releasable hard shell for over twenty years and never had an injury from the boot hitting my shin.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@mmosley899 The rare occasions I ´ve hit my shin it´s been the boot, know several people who had the same experience. Not sure how the release mech is ever going to make it´s way into the shin.

@OB1 Supershell or regular black? From what I have seen the supershell looks very stiff, I use the regular black with cuff cut down and the sole flattened.

• Baller_

@OB1 Front boot is set for the back leg to be out in the first place before it releases. That "only front foot still on the ski" release load is known and set in the adjustment of the binding and tested like snow ski binding on one ski. With 2 in Reflex on the same ski, the veriable of what does it take to pop the back with the front locked in or the front with the back locked in and both at the same time could be hard to test and figure out on dry land or other wise. But, I believe TW is on that set up sooo....

As for the twisting...yes MOB is on target with that element.

• Baller
@skidawd, mine is similar, but supershell front, white cuff back. I figure if I have enough force to release the rear, I will likely have enough on the front. Knowing Terry Winter runs it too gave me confidence in the set up. Flex in the rear ankle feels good too.

• Baller
@DanE if you are correct and it is the boot hitting the shin, then it is because the toe of the boot is locked in so that the boot must move backwards to come out as the rear foot is coming forward. Not the best design, but it does release in one direction.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@BlueSki I have the HO VMax Choptop for my rear with the HO hardshell front. I love the setup. No problems with the rear foot coming out when you need it to. Matter of fact, when I'm done skiing I just pull my rear foot out.

• Baller

@OldboyII - should not be any issues. In an OTF or release the back foot (toe) will be out of the loop before the release mechanism effectively hinges backward.

The big toe may feel the release bar during the pass a bit but it's easy to get accustomed.