How many 28's in a ski (edited title)

alex38

• Baller

A2 is a 5 years old model and it's only been used for two seasons?

It doesn't matter if the ski is good or not what matters is that you are ready to move on.

There are plenty of new skis out there promising to make you turn more buoys than ever before.

Also give away the A2 and make a skier happy, I'm sure there is still plenty of life in it!

Good luck with your new ski B)

• Baller
@RazorRoss3 What you said is why I questioned the need for more durability with the PMI core in the thread about the new Vapor. For example, if the PVC core degrades 1% in three years and the PMI core only degrades 0.1% in that time, could any skier really tell the difference? Regarding the OP's question, seems like upgrading to a new ski shape when on a ski that is over 5 years old is the more pertinent issue when skiing at his relatively high level.

• Baller
One of the best skiers I know (runs into 41) is still skiing on a Fisher Orange that has to be 8-10 years old at this point. He puts on a lot of passes at very short lines. Based on that non-statistically valid observation, I think most of us can assume our skis will last much longer than you think. Buy a new ski if you have the money and like trying new stuff, or if you just don't like your ski.

• Supporting Member

In my experience it varies quite a lot, and I think it may have as much to do with luck as anything. I think back to @MikeT's 9100, which skied great for about a decade, compared to my 9100, which about 5 years in, declined very suddenly and then broke. And there can be no doubt that he's harder on a ski, at least in the slalom course, than I am.

I think about the only thing I can recommend is an occasional set on a new ski. If the new ski feels dramatically faster, then your old one has probably gone soft. Maybe.

• Baller

At approximately 360 passes at -28 your not close to wearing a ski out unless it is defective or abused.

I had a Fisher Orange for 4.5 years that went soft. In a span of about 2-3 weeks I couldn't get off the ball and it either wouldn't turn or suddenly over turn. Flexed it relative to a buddies Orange he got at the same time and mine had definitely gone Gumby. Lived in WA at the time so 5 month season, only skied weekends (few other days here and there) but figure over 500 passes per season. So over 2000 passes on that ski, 220 lb skier, then -22 to -35.

I had a 2014 Vapor 2yrs, now in Florida so year round. Conservatively over 2000 passes on that ski. It was still fine when I sold it after getting a 2016. All -28 to mid -38 with a rare -39 in there.

After roughly estimating my number of passes seems I should be better. Hmmm.....

Say mid May to mid Sept season, 4 months, 180 passes is 11.25 passes a week. Round up that's two 6 pass sets per week.

#1 thing for you, ski more. Get a third set in per week and you number of passes goes up 50%. Get in shape for 8 pass sets and gain 33% more passes. As Jean-Luc would say, "Make it so".

#2 go for a week somewhere for coaching. For $1500-$2000 (price of new ski) a week in Orlando with 3-4 days coaching with rest day for other fun seems doable.

#3 thing for you, go full in. Ski more, get coaching, and get a 2017 Vapor or 2017 ARC with Reflex, MOB or Radar front boot with RTP or half-boot rear (R-style, HRT or similar. No full boot rear). Best bet, go to Orlando, buy a Vapor from perfski and go to Rini's where he will set it up for free!!!!! Caution, one glance at Disney and that $2K is gone by lunch.... It's only $, do it while you can.

• Baller

I don't have the original flex numbers.

I keep it in a bag in a covered boat always.

I run an occasional decent 32 still.

I mainly stay at 28 while I nurse an injury and attempt to achieve efficient easy passes (yeah right).

Great feedback, thank you.