What would you do for 1/4 more at 41 off?

Horton

• Administrators
@Than_Bogan look again she has an orange sticker on her ski. Makes it look like she did not get the quarter but she definitely did. If you look at the second image she is 6 inches away from getting the quarter. she may have actually deserve half. I think they did score her a quarter.

• Gold Member

Veering into a new topic, but I would love to see the "significantly displaced" rule just go away. It creates confusion and frankly asks the judge to do something impossible.

I wonder if anybody has ever tried to measure just how much one can displace a buoy. My instinct is telling me that at these speeds and durations, estimating water as incompressible is roughly correct and therefore buoys simply don't displace.

But who cares if they do? Why not simplify the judge's task and just judge the ski relative to the buoy? I really don't see any problem with this. Could somebody really evolve a technique that intentionally displaces buoys and gains an advantage? I doubt it, but I say we cross that bridge if we ever come to it.

• Baller
No expert here, but as I understand the rules, her front foot needed to beak the "X-Y Plane" which runs perpendicular to the course and through the buoy center line. In the second pic she is still a little short, but got there to be awarded 1/4. She likely lost the handle before her front foot turned and broke the "C-D Plane" running parallel to the course through the center line of 2,4,6.

• Administrators
I generally make fun of any judge who calls a quarter ball. It is extremely rare for a skier to actually score a the quarter. From the vantage point I took these pictures this may be a legit quarter. I would have to see it from another angle. Based on the pictures I took I would give her half.

• Baller
@Horton from stills I agree that it could be a half. At full speed it looked like she lost the handle almost simultaneously with getting the ski to the width of the ball. I agree that it is very unusual for the ski to not round back toward the wake even a little which results in a half.

• Baller
@Horton The answer to your question is dependent on the age of the person you are asking. When I was her age, I healed a lot quicker. Now, I would have just looked at the ball as I rode 10 feet inside it. Of course, that would have been at 28off, not 41.

• Administrators
@John Brooks My camera was doing about 6 frames per second and she was doing maybe 50 mph. My point is a LOT happened between those 2 frames.

• Baller

I also think its really hard to tell based on the photos and what happened between the two but wow that is a tough call to make regardless. To @horton point on 1/4 being basically useless - at that line length is it really physically possible to get a 1/4 if the skier is still holding on for more than a split second past the buoy when the ski is that close to the ball? My thought is the skier would essentially have to be letting go in the next 6" to not have started to cross the buoy line.

Look how much distance passed between the two photos using that circled weed as an estimate. That weed was in front of the bow is now behind the windshield and Whitney is still accelerating on the boat by the unofficial distance measurement of her right leg.

tpla0c6ay8kp.jpg

• Baller
Interesting to me that when I was getting started, I always watched the women ski for their slalom technique, while the men were kamikazes who just attacked and used brute force to get it done. Not that the top guys aren't going for it now, but the top two women (at least) today seem totally willing to splatter themselves for an extra 1/4. It's fun to watch them because they're incredibly competitive.