Proof you are really committed to skiing

Horton

• Administrators

The fan in my office makes the worst freaking sound because a few years ago I had it on full speed and then hit it with slalom ski. The ski is fine. Connelly makes a bullet proof ski.

I can not be the only person with a story this dumb.

• Baller

I guess I would have just replaced the fan, but currently there is a water ski on the wall, my Malibu book and indmar manuals on one of the desks and the dell 2100 that just runs diacom sitting on one of the other desks.

Oddly enough there is a busted fan that I just brought back from parents weekend sitting on the counter in my office too (daughter knocked it over in her dorm).

Of course my new atomic boots and old atomic skis are also sitting in the office. Need something to be thinking of during the endless conference calls.

• Baller
I commute on my motorbike and my ski...not comfortable and not very safe so I have to leave home at 6:30am to avoid traffic but I can ski..... :-) and I almost broke a rear mirror passing a car ouppsss ! The guy was a waterskier too fortunatly and he told me it was ok and I am not kidding..it was my lucky morning

• Baller

I told my wife before we got married I would never stop obsessing about this sport. It's part of the deal.

It's the biggest line item in our entire budget for sure, and housing and property taxes are not cheap in San Jose.

At any moment i can recite my ski settings to the thousandth.

Oh, and took the last two summers off of work and I am not a school teacher

The thing that makes skiing cheep for me is. We ran a Pro Stock car in NHRA drag racing for many years. Not in pro stock but that does not change the price. Now that is a place to dump large amounts of cash! Now I ski and heavy into photography. The photography keeps the skiing cheep. Just need to love what you do!

• Baller_
@Horton 's comment brings visions of Inspector Clouseau turning around with a fan blowing 'midships'.... If you are young and don't know what I am posting about, google Pink Panther. Well at least now I know what song is playing in my head for the next few hours and maybe yours too once you read this...

• Baller_
From 2008 to 2015, I drove 100 miles one-way, 2-3 times per week, towing my boat most days, to ski a private site. Beginning in 2014, I had two simultaneous club memberships. One was 100 miles in one direction and the other was 40 miles in the opposite direction. Down to just one club (40 mile option) this year, but skiing more.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
in 2016 I have either skied, worked or participated in over 20 tournaments including Moomba, US masters, world university championships, Senior worlds, Fl state, So regionals, US Nationals and a bunch of REL&C tournaments in between with four tournaments left on the slate!!

• Baller
7 to 10 tournaments a year, on my 5th tournament ski boat (all bought new), senior driver (S) regular driver (T), senior judge (S), ski two sets 4 times a week, on the BOD for the Ski Club of the Palm Beaches many times. Besides working all our tournaments and Palm Bay's tournaments (sometimes Miami's tournaments), I've worked several Nationals and Regionals. Guess I'm committed (or should be)...

• Baller
How about having the oil drain tube fall off the engine while skiing. Oil was gushing out of the engine and I plugged it as best I could with what I had in the boat. Managed to limp it home on a semi-slow 2 minutes drive watching the oil pressure. It was low but didn't go down to zero. Probably only had 1-2 quarts left in the engine and the engine was starting to back off power. Fixed the hose, refilled the engine with oil and continued skiing the rest of the day. I figured the damage was already done at that point so no harm in trying to salvage the day. Ended up running that engine 3-4 more months until winter when I could rebuild it.

• Baller
Our crew occasionally gets to ski private ponds, but many times we have to ski public water. Over the past two seasons we have skied a course in public water 54 mornings. That's 54 mornings of waking up at stupid:30, playing the wind, choosing location, putting the portable course in at dark, waiting for sunrise, waiting for steam to rise, dodging the fisherman, cottagers and jet skis.... all to get a few passes through the course before the water turns to complete crap. Oh yeah - and we have to limit our beer intake the night before because skiing dizzy sucks!! Now that should be proof we are committed to skiing.

• Baller

@sixball I know exactly what you mean. I ran a car on the strip for quite a few years (just a lowly bracket car in the 10s, not pro stock). I thought it was pretty expensive.

Then I got to tour Doug Kaletta's setup as my brother is pretty high up at his major sponsor Mac Tools. Anyway, he told me that they replace (in his top fuel ride): clutches every pass. Valve springs every pass. Pistons every two. Rods every two. Slicks every two. Cranks every 8. Blowers every 8.

Oh and they bring two cars and enough engines to blow up every pass to the finals.

I did some rough math and figured it was $10K to go down the strip. I might be low.

Makes a new Radar ski every few years seem pretty cheap :smile: