D3 '68 X7 Vs. ARC?

NorthIdahoLPO

• Baller

Im a bigger guy

(215lbs 6'6) that is trying like mad to better my technique. I feel I may be inhibited on my '69 Radar Carbon Senate. I have been looking strongly at the X7, Quest, Fusion, and Arc.

From what I have read, I like the characteristics of the X7 but all pros are pointing to the ARC. I have researched each D3 in between the two...

I'm an intermediate free skier that hits it 40ish days a year. Just starting to dip into the course. I feel siting deeper in the water behooves my confidence. At the end of this season I demoed the ARC but October was so awful in terms of weather I wasn't able to put it to the test.

Any suggestions?

• Baller_

For where you are at, it will make almost no difference between your selection of skis.... except the universal rule that every skier should use the ski that feels and works best for him/her. Which means you should demo whenever possible. If it is not practical, search ski-it-again for one of those d3s in your price range. If money is not a factor, buy an Arc. 68" is your size.

D3s are consistently the easiest / most user friendly ski you can find.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
I never skied the X7 but I demoed the blue ARC this summer. I thought it was very user friendly and skied well. I didn't buy it but that wasn't my purpose in trying it. That said, I'd probably be happy enough if it was my ski. In other words, it neither blew my mind nor sucked. It was "very nice."

Lpskier

• Baller

TallSkinnyGuy,

I thought the same thing about the senate. I feel the strain in rolling it over. It is a wide body and I am going to address that with fin placement/adjustment... that is if I don't find a replacement in the meantime. I know much of this is form but I dont think the '69 and floatieness is helping me really dig in.

• Baller
I'm pretty fond of the Vapors. I liked both the 2015 and 2016 Vapors. To me the 15 has a little more roll resistance than the 16. 16 is a little easier to get up on. 15 maybe a little more forgiving of mistakes. I haven't tried an ARC but have only heard good thinks about it. I was worn out in 6 passes on the X7. Went to a Mapple 6.0 after that and was doing 8 passes easily in a set.

• Baller
And Gregy, you bring up a good point.... The Mapple 6.0... There so many options. If I am going to spend north of $1700 for a full set up I want to grow with it for many seasons. I would keep the senate but I want to set lower in the water... a '68 is where I feel I need to be.

• Baller

If you're sticking with a D3, I totally agree with @Bruce_Butterfield that either, in your position, will be fine. I've skied the Fusion, X7, Quest 45, and the Arc (more the yellow than the blue).

I skied the 15 Senate and it does some great things, but I found the D3's more user friendly. Or at least they feel that way.

The Arcs develop cross course speed incredibly and effortlessly. The X7 is a great ski, but the guys at D3 knocked it out of the park with the Arc. The 68 should be perfect, in either the X7 or Arc. I liked both skis. Honestly, all of those D3's would make you happy.

• Baller

Mark_matis - I have the D3 site at the ready. Getting T-Factors regardless.

gregy-Aupatking. I wish I had the luxury to ski the x7. Do you have a '68?

All - I appreciate the enthusiasm and input. Love talking waterskiing in November. Keeps the energy alive during the winter.

-

• Baller
Just bought the T-factor and RTP through D3 (took advantage of the sale). BTW Great people there at D3 and Kari is always so helpful. My plan- to keep an eye out for a '68 X7 this winter/spring. If one doesn't appear by go time I will give the Arc the nod. Either way I have the bindings to slap on either or at the very least.