Completely Random - Chuck Stearns

Horton

• Administrators
Out of the blue Chuck stopped in and visited my parents last week. If you do not know who Chuck Stearns is read this. He is arguably the greatest water skier of all time.

• Baller
Cool article! And it appears to have been written 28-29 years ago. So the part where they talk about going 120+ mph in the quarter mile on a 21 year old ski is actually a 50 year old ski design!! That's gotta be like running 38off on an old Maha with gun rubber bindings ....

• Baller_

@horton, So, 2 questions:

1. Did he ask "is that damn Dr. Horton's kid still around or did he get run over while playing in traffic?"

2. When you look in dictionary under "stud", is his picture before, or after KLP's?

Thanks for the perspective. 122 freakin mph! That's history we need to keep in mind as we chase fin adjustments to the 0.001"

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
So is ski racing still a thing out west? I know it is still listed on USAWS but so is kneeboarding. Is it popular out west or is it like knee boarding where only a few participate? The reason I ask is because ski racing is unheard of in the midwest (yet on the other hand show skiing is much more prevalent here).

• Baller

thanks Horton. Never knew of Chuck but glad I do now.

I used to dive off of Catalina Island in the early 80's. My cousin's husband was an aircraft mechanic there (I remember it being some kind of US Navy outpost or something) and he would fly out Monday morning's from San Diego, work all week and come home Friday.

Me and some buddy's were visiting my cousin, (and as we were all certified SCUBA divers), he offered to stay the weekend and take us diving.

We ended up being flown out, put up in a nice cottage, free use of a Jeep CJ, and even ate in the mess hall with the Navy guys, all free of charge. One of the great memories from my youth. :)

RPG

• Baller

I remember going to the 1967 Nationals in Austin, TX. Rolly backwash for SL. Scores

were way down. Chuck won by a good amount; don't remember the exact score, but

I believe it was a few at 24 off, when hardly anyone was running 12 off. That event was

a milestone event for a few reasons. Such as one jumper in Men getting an "impossible"

distance on first plotting.