Forget performance... what do you think is the best looking ski ever?

Horton

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Curse you, ballofspray, for feeding my addiction! I swear this is the last old slalom ski I buy. (That does not preclude the purchase of new slalom skis or any vintage trick ski).

cutehjuaoyvb.jpg

How could I resist this lonely Tech-1 with 0 bids in relatively good condition for less than the price of a case of beer?

The Tech-1 was the first ski I ever bought. I ended up trading it away along with 2 other slaloms, a Connelly trick, and a Tech-Nique trick for one blank trick ski made by Russ Stiffler (the shape the EP RS720 was based on.) I HAD to have another one. WHY???

What is it that causes this emotional bond between man and ski? I don't have this same attachment to snow skis. @Luzz do you have an analysis for this phenomena?

• Baller

@dchristman haha, not sure what theoretical framework to go by here. We know that elite athletes in sport that use instruments (e.g. golf, tennis, baseball and cricket batters, etc) report that in moment of flow, or being in the zone, they perceive their instrument as a continuation of their body. But that would not explain the difference in emotional attachment between snow skis and water skis.

At the very basic level, you are reinforcing your attachment to skis by buying more skis, and those purchases clearly feel good.

Or… I could go the psychoanalytic route and say that the constant purchasing of water skis is filling a void that you haven't addressed. But that would be a low blow :D

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
Seriously though the Maherajah was a very good looking ski. I too would trade the poster for the ski, but I don't have the poster. I think my uncle has (or had) one, one of these days I'm going to ask him. All I remember (I was pretty young) was a beautiful wood ski that he kept wrapped in a blanket.

• Baller

I want a Jobe 1600. I can't call it pretty, but it was my first competition level ski. It was a very early edge-to-edge concave too. I remember it being really comfortable and had an adjustable fin. Knowing what I do now, I'm so glad I didn't mess with it. zv7xs9asm355.jpg

Pic from the interweb. It's pretty in my memory.

• Administrators
@RINLE Some Baller Somewhere is going to be looking at this page at work and their humorless boss will see it. We live in a funny world.

Sorry, new here. That is a real add and that is Suzanne Summers. Different times back then in California when I was a kid. Maha was the first ski I dreamed of having. Never got one though -- which is probably a good thing. I still remember the TV adds for Oshman's sporting goods with skier ripping up the water on a Maha.

• Baller
I'd have to agree with @Edbrazil . Those old Connelly Hooks had beautiful workmanship. A buddy of mine up on Lake Winni still has the one he bought new, and refinishes it with the same care that goes into his 58 Century Coronado, both of which he's had since the 70's.

• Baller
@swc5150, I was going to post a pic of my Mastercraft Assymetric Right but you beat me to it. Got it from Jennifer Leachman in March 1988. I think the first Mahas are beautiful. Still have our Cypress Gardens Alfredo Mendoza and a Dick Pope.