The Un-tournament-Tournament

skidawg

• Baller

Kinda like 7-Up was the “uncola” - Look forward to having fun again….for less than the price of Regionals or Nationals, I get 6 rounds of skiing, a fun team format, t-shirt, dinner on Saturday night and a great time hanging out with skiers who just want to have some friendly competition. This is what tournaments used to be like….

Click Here for more details

• Baller
It's a long way to travel for us but, my daughter and I are going. Want to support this path. Sure it will be fun. Kinda sick and tired of the old way which turns something that is supposed to be fun into something that feels more like going to work.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal, every mountain bike, road race, tri I have ever competed in, 5k marathon, etc. participants don't have a gov't body insuring them from physical injury during the event. (personal responsibility). Every citizen is now required by law to purchase health care coverage. I really don't think this is a factor for our tournament format.

• Baller_

Thanks Ward, Just thought I would pass on some insight. And as for the every citizen is required to have insurance reminder there is a new Sherriff in town and that law is gone! or soon to be. Please keep in mind I am all in for what you all are going to doo, however I firmly believe in CYA !

Viva La Revolution!!!

• Administrators

@LLUSA what is the definition of a pro skier? I have a usawaterski average of a couple of 39 but I make more money in the sport than most elite athletes. Am I the shittiest professional skier in the world or am I the most famous mediocre skier in the world?

Am i allowed to ski at Joe's event?

Furthermore what is the definition of an event? If a bunch of guys get together and throw 100 bucks in a hat is that an event?

If a legit Elite athlete skis at an unsanctioned event what is iwwf going to do?

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal that's a relief because I was super worried about the hundred dollars of professional prize money I won in 1988. I really need to maintain my amateur status in case we get into the Olympics.

• Baller
@OB1@Horton@skidawg, I'm just going off past experience when we tried to run an unsanctioned cash event at LLUSA and where told by then IWSF if we didn't sanction it actions would be taken against all involved. @Horton I guess there's no distinction only that of Open. I think it's a great idea just hope he can pull it off.

• Administrators
@LLUSA I feel bad for the pro skiers that participated in the Herbs Cup last year and all the pros that have skied at INT events in years past. When they all get kicked out of the sport I might be open rated.

• Baller
Congrats @jdarwin you have figured out a way to take out the "cheating" factor by removing the ranking list that 90+ percent of the TOURNAMENT skiers don't need. I really believe that the "beer league" format is a compelling way to grow tournament skiing. I think a beer league NationaIs without qualifying standards and team entry would be very compelling to industry sponsors. I would like to talk about your risk management protocol next time we see each other.

• Baller

This is going to route of figure skating. Basically what happened is the myriad of rules and cost at the high level for those trying to go to the Olympics pushed out everyone else except the elite. So the local rinks who wanted to promote skating formed a different league. Now there is ISI vs USFSA. The high end still exist because of TV money. Take it away and they are done because it cant support itself.

Maybe the next step is the BOS ranking list. Only boat judges, no fees, no surveys, no equipment, no camera's, no judge ratings, no driver ratings, no scorer ratings, no insurance arguments, no national meetings. More sponsor $$ because guess who buys skis and boats?

Badabing better outcome for most involved.

• Baller
The funnest 30-40 or so events (of any kind) I have ever been too are the 30-40 or so college events I skied. There was great skiing, good skiing, bad skiing, occasional naked skiing, a pleasant lack of rigid organization, a sh*t ton of booze and T & A, and an occasional building or car fire to lighten the mood. Its a good model for all that is right with the world.

When I founded the Marine World Jumping Championships the AWSA refused a sanction and threatened that any participants would be "banned for life". We continued and each year added more and more cash prizes for the participants. They relented and offered a sanction several years later and I accepted it without paying for it out of principal, no complaints about that. We paid the top 15 skiers for qualifying to the weekend's competition, with 15th place earning $250.00, the top prize one year was about $15K, not bad for the 70's, not sure if that was ever topped......

• Baller

I worked all the early Marine World events, as Technical Controller/Chief of meters. So

did several rated AWSA judges. I was not made aware of the AWSA stuff, but I would have

worked them anyway. And, participated in any lawsuit. Fortunately, the AWSA smartened up.

I was only aware of any problem one when year when Marine World added Tricks to the event.

Initially, a Mens Jump event. Then later, they added Slalom, Team Jumping, and Women Jump.

Marine World was a milestone event in the history of the sport.