Radar Carbitex Vapor Boots unboxing & assembly

Horton

• Baller

ROTFLOL! Dork! Socks, toe caps, etc. You know better. That Cali heat in Feb getting to your head, @Horton? I guess your videos are getting better. Actually, I liked this one's chill approach and honesty. Keep it up!

@matt_b - the front most and back most screw holes on the plate are slotted. There are two sets for the middle holes. You only use one set. Basically, set 1 is located for the heal of the front binding inserts on the ski and set 2 is at the toe of the back mounting inserts. But here's the genius - the back set of inserts are offset by 1/2 a screw hole compared to the front set. So, in order of moving the whole plate forward or back, you alternate from the first holes in set 1 to the first holes in set 2 then to the 2nd holes in set 1 then to the 2nd holes in set 2, and so on. Each movement is moving the whole plate up by 3/16th of an inch.

There are some theories about the stiffness difference between 1 plate vs. 2. Meh. Clearly there is a flex point between 2 plates. But there are more screws so each of the two plates are potentially stiffer than the 1 plate.

One great tip with the Sequence plate is to mount your front shell, then measure the distance from the seem at the heal to back end of the plate. Write this measurement on the plate where it can be seen with both shells mounted. Now, when you need to measure your front binding placement you can simply measure from the plate to the end of the ski and then add this written down measurement to that.

• Administrators

@Golfguy no. The socks actually help mostly with length so the liner is not too short when you are done.

I didn't make this point in the video but it's also important to slightly under tighten all the laces when you do the heat mold. That keeps the liners from becoming too thin during the molding process.

• Baller

If you are in the Orlando Area..or coming...we do have a specific machine designed to heat mold the boots...can help with this...the suggestions above all work, and the liners will mold to your foot with use also...but issues on length, width can be addressed someonewhat heating them. For instance putting a couple pair of socks on after they've been molded does give you more volume where you need it. Also from our experience fitting the boots...if you've not had Vapor boots before...they tend to run a bit narrow..but with some customers going to a bigger size does allow you to find a fit that works. We have a good stock of boots now including sequence plates as an option also. Hit us up if we can help. Get Carbitex boots at PerfSki

Also be careful using a blow dryer.....you CAN burn = overheat the liners and at $79.99 each that can get expensive. By the way we bought and stock liners now..have a good supply here if you want to update to the newest liners:

Thanks to all the "ballers" for your support of the shop! Means alot!

• Administrators
@Zman meh. I have I have always skipped the heat molding and the liners feel good to me. If you heat mold them they should just be a little better.

• Administrators
I tried out my new boots yesterday. As predicted the first pass or two were BAD! First pass was 2 balls. By the 6th pass things felt pretty darn good. The boots will work even better after I get a few more sets in them.

• Baller
Are they significantly different from the previous model (red and black) with the BOA system? I had a look at a pair the other day and thought they were pretty similar to the red version which is an excellent product. I have a season on mine and it looks like new..

• Baller

@scotchipman congrats! They look really really nice. Please share a post when you've had a chance to get them wet a few times to compare.

I tell everyone that my RS1 boots are the single best investment I've ever made in this sport. I can't kill them (probably because I take really good care of them!). Interested to hear your comparison!

• Baller

I will get a pair at some time this year! As Horton stated it can be pretty frustrating during the break in period. When I needed to replace my Vapor boots last summer, it was one at a time and I had to lace them looser and was really frustrated at first.

When I upgrade to these I will plan to ski my sets then just have these on another ski to and break them in on a 3rd set for a few days before putting them on my 2017 Vapor pro and going for it.

When you only have 2 or 3 ski days a week I can't spend the only passes I'm trying breaking in boots.

• Administrators
@disland I am sort of mixing it up. I am skiing on the Radars at the moment but hope to shoot another video about the Edge boots this week. There are a few (and only a few) really good binding systems on the market. I think I would be mostly happy in any of them.

• Baller

@Horton please let us/me know how the Carbitex compare to the vapors and if it's a significant upgrade in terms of performance?

The Vapors seem to last about 3 seasons or less depending on how often you ski. Then they break down and tear or come apart in various places (my experience). Seems like the more burly construction the Carbitex has would allow them to last much longer especially for guys who live on lakes and ski daily.

• Administrators

@cragginshred The new boots look to be better built and I would think they will last a lot longer. Each generation of the Radar boots has been better than the previous.

Will they give you a higher score then a pair of new 2015 boots? meh. That would be a stretch. I think using the Boa system for the bottom part of the boot should result in a more consistent fit and that may very well result in a higher score.

I tried these on this morning. I'm a 10.5 and the 11 fit great with the insole. Just a little arch support provided the right amount of toe room. Without the insole, it was a tad short but that could be fixed with various methods. Huge improvement from the old vectors.

I will pick them up in a couple of weeks on a new 67 senate with sequence plate.

Anyone use a Radar boot up front and a Wiley in the back?? I used the Fluid Motion E-series up front with Wileys in the back and I seem to pop the cuff off on one side pretty consistently. Not sure its the right boot for me. Thinking of trying a new Radar boot up front but leaving the Wiley in the back. Thoughts?

• Baller_

@Klinger I have used that setup since 2013. When I first tried the double Vapors, I could not keep my ski tip down. I put my rear wiley on and instantly felt right at home.

If your running a pre Boa Vapor, they are awesome but due yourself a favor and get the Boa system.

• Baller
@wtrskior We've had no issues with people putting them in the RS-1's, Stradas or Vapors. If you have any "width issues", a pair or two of socks when you heat them seem to give you the volume you need. Most everyone DOES take out the plastic supports in them however. But nice to at least to have that option. If we can help let us know.

• Baller

I now have more incentive for lots of sets this season. Need to wear out one pair of my Strada boots so I can get a oair of those awesome looking Carbitex Vapor boots!

Bad thing is, they are hard to wear out.

• Baller
I'm curious, why are skiers on BOS recommending Carbitex Vapor users toss the plastic stiffeners? I tried the boots with and without them and with different combinations (one on my inside ankle, etc.) I settled with both stiffeners in the front boot and no stiffeners in my back boot. With this configuration I feel more comfortable than without them. I think it's not a bad idea to give them a try after getting comfortable with the bindings and decide for yourself to use them or not.

Just got mine and have skied on them twice. I'm coming off worn out Stradas.

First set water was a bit choppy and they felt a bit stiff, but second set - WOW! Much more responsive and the control was amazing.

Note on sizing - They felt about a half size smaller in length that my Stradas. Don't know if that is because they are new.