Hey Ballers

Razorskier1

Jim,

You don't really know me nor do I really know you. However, you @aupatking, and several other ballers were on the dock at skiwatch for my first ever tournament. I skied as bad as I possibly could that day and all you and all the guys on the dock did was encourage me to keep hammering and go harder each round. I guess it's my turn to encourage you to keep crushing everything that gets in your way. I do not know you well, but I know you will not give up, you will not go gently into that good night. And you will rage, rage against the dying of the light.. Stay strong and kick cancers @$$!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Channeling my inner Jim in the gym! Up 7 lbs body weight in a little over 2 weeks. Quads are killing me...might need a toilet seat riser! No pain no gain, keep pushing, just cuz it hurts doesn't mean your muscles are weak...just means it hurts...crank out another 5 reps! I know Jim would.

Cancer is going down!

• Baller
@razorskier1...feel free to message me with any questions. Sometimes there's not time to get them all in at the apt and I'll be happy to fill in gaps to the degree I can. Your bro has my contact info.

• Baller
You are in great hands with the Mayo Clinic. They saved me in 2002 when things were not looking good. I know that you will win the battle. Good luck with your treatment regimen, and take comfort in the fact that you have many friends that you haven't met yet that are pulling for you, myself included!

• Baller
I've gained back about 5 of the 15lbs I lost post surgery. Now almost 180lbs. Workouts are working. Interesting thing is my strength is just as good as it was at 190lbs. I'll keep slowly gaining with workouts, but think I might hold at about 185.

• Baller
Two weeks of radiation and chemo down the hatch, four to go. So far my mind and body are holding up well. Starting to feel a little tiredness at times, but I think that may just be long days - typically happens late in the week after 4-5 days of driving 3 hours, radiation, workouts and walks. I just broke through 180lbs this morning. I was 181. First time over 180 since the start of February. Getting stronger in the gym too, although all this driving is making me stiff. Need lots of stretching and time on the foam roller every day.

• Baller

Week 4 underway. I'm not tired per se, just less gas in my tank. Typical day we drive 100 miles, lunch, treatment, drive 100 miles, and hit the gym. Up until a week ago we were walking after the gym. Now it's a 90 minute nap. I am gassed after the workout. Guess that's what happens when chemo assaults you blood quality.

Still, lift and dock are in and the boat will be here this week. Hope to be skiing by April.

• Baller

@jimbrake I have been sick since Halloween. I went in for an outpatient procedure to look at my gallbladder and pancreas and wound up with severe pancreatitis. I spent 40 days in the ICU and came home from rehab in mid January. Three weeks ago I had surgery to remove a tumor from my pancreas.

The prognosis is good for a full recovery but I still have a long way back to rebuild strength. I should be done with my last medical procedure and once I recover from surgery can focus on rebuilding strength. 40 days in bed without solid food strips you of a lot of muscle.

• Baller

My friend is going through 4B colorectal for the past year. Stay aggressive, get it out and etadicate it as soon as you can. Stay healthy. Get stuff in you that helps absorb oxygen. No sugars (beer) or crappy carbs and grains.

Look into MCT coconut oils. Help the brain and body to absorb oxygen.

Link. Not on product list but call and they will sell what they sell to doctors. About $16/bottle. 3T per day.

My friend paused treatment after chemo took it down to nothing. That may end up being a disaster. Praying for you and him.

• Baller

@Chef23 sounds like a real bad deal, we are all pulling for you here !

Getting the strength back and staying mentally strong is going to take some determination, get some help with that recovery, a good nutrition and fitness program will do the trick, it will be worth it.

• Baller

My biggest challenge right now is food. My recent surgery removed the gallbladder and parts of my stomach, pancreas and small intestine. This has left me without much of an appetite and I need to be careful with rich foods. The surgeon said that in 4-6 weeks I shouldn't have the rich food issue but will likely never have the same appetite I had before. Which for me actually might not be a bad thing.

I did have my first real excursion since the surgery yesterday I went to my son's lacrosse game and out to dinner. I was very tired after but other than that was okay. We have some sun out here today so I will be able to get outside which will be nice.

• Baller

We had a nice day here yesterday (after snow on Saturday) and I got out twice and walked around the block which is about 1/3 of a mile. Longest walk since the surgery. Still working on the food. I am lighter than I have been since I was 12. I am about 173 pounds right now and would like to settle in the 190-200 pound range. It is going to take some time to get there though.

I am at the surgeon tomorrow and hopefully will come home drain free and with a plan to go to outpatient physical therapy to start to rebuild some strength.

@Razorskier1 sorry for hi jacking your thread but I figured we didn't need two recovery threads.

• Baller
Hi all! Well, just finished my 6 weeks of radiation yesterday. Still have chemo today and tomorrow, but it sure is nice to be done with commuting 100 miles each way, five days a week. Can't wait to find out what our new "normal" schedule is. Pretty sure it will involve skiing every day!