The start of season?

oldjeep

• Baller_
Wow! Ice is out in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan? Is that early? In in northern NY right now and the ice still has a couple feet of snow on it. I would say it's three weeks to a month at least before the ice will be off my lake. Fortunately, it's back to Orlando Wednesday. First tournament is this weekend at LaPoint Ski Park!

Lpskier

• Baller_

@lpskier, we had ice out on February 19, which is very early. Last year, it was something like March 15, which we see occasionally.

I skied last night. Water is still only about 40. Need a lot more sun.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I think we are a few to several weeks out yet for any skiing at the reservoir. Will depend on the weather. Still snow in our yard, but it is going away. I will also check in with my buddies down at Black Butte to see when they will ski. The snow is gone down there. Most likely, I will arrange some skiing over in Meridian, and hopefully get an early season lesson at the same time.

• Baller
Our lake in southern MI was half open end of Jan. Fully open middle of Feb. I put some dock in Feb just to say I've done it. Earliest open water I can remember, usually some of the best iceboating is in March. In my younger days I'm sure I would have skied by now!

• Baller
I've been out a few times here in NW Illinois. Even got the dock and rails put in during the last week of February. That was a first for February. But then had to winterize the boat again the following week for a few consecutive days of below freezing high temps, with one low for the night at 7 degrees. But Sunday the water cracked 50 degrees (50.6) and my rear foot didn't even get cold in the toe plate...so no looking back now!

• Baller

Like @Than_Bogan , I don't handle cold water particularly well. This is challenging being that I live in Alberta.

I'm both excited and dreading the day when @schafer calls me and says the ice is out. Might need to invest in a dry suit this year...

• Baller

Bet you guy,s really looking forward to putting on the wetsuit, climbing into those stiff rubber bindings/if you are using rubber, struggling to get your foot in the RTP, finding yourself on the backfoot, on super fast water.

That was me early this week, not one of my finest sets.

• Baller
I have a question ? So it,s been cold over the winter months, plenty of time in the gym, Brand New ski in a box, just waiting for bindings, do you do a few sets on your old ski to get dialled in , or do you open that box and put some bindings on the New one and get going on it, what is the right thing to do ?

• Baller_

Put buoys in today. Water probably only in the low to mid 40s. Air low 60s. Of course, the wind cranked up after we did the work. Got one short set in with less than stellar conditions.

More rain (a lot more) forecasted for this week. Probably no skiing until next weekend. Temp forecast not great.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I drove my daughter down to Boise for soccer yesterday, and in a break, bought her a new vest and me an O'Neill Epic. Connected with a ski friend who can get into 38 off who is excited to ski with me this year, and he is getting his dry suit repaired this week, so hopefully we can be ready by end of the week. He has a nice Mastercraft that he will launch for the initial session. Magic Reservoir is full, and done overflowing for now, so the wood looks mostly on the beach. Snow here and their on the banks though. BRR!!

Started in Oklahoma the day before Easter wearing my old shorty wetsuit. Still sore but was good to get an early start on the year. Hoping for good progress with the lake being such a short distance this year compared to the last few.