Zero Off - How to add to boat older than 2007

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

I searched for a thread, and tried to research myself online but did not come up with a solid answer to my question.

I know without either re-powering, or doing some other mod, to an engine older than 2007, one cannot add Zero Off. i have read their FAQ's and understand the system requires an EControls drive-by-wire engine control unit. So, if one has a good, strong older Monsoon 5.7, can a guy add that?

Not saying I really "need" to, but if I am going to start skiing gates in nice lakes behind ZO equipped boats, it might be nice to keep the pull feeling consistent. Just something to think about and save for, if it is even possible.

• Baller_

Any Chevy vortec 5.7/350 1996 on can support Zero Off. The key is the induction system on a non cat engine. However by the time one costs out the intake and induction, electrical components a little more money one can purchase a bob tail Excalibur and make life simple.

But yes the crafty person that has a full understanding and the know how along with the tools a older Indmar vortec can be reconfigured to accept ZO.

We have now been in the Zero off world for 10 years, there are starting to be wrecked boats, scrapped engines and used parts siting on shelves of shops and service centers. doing the groundwork is the time consuming aspect.

I could piece together systems for a DBW e-control set up but it would take me a day to lay my hands on all the components here in the shop. I would have to say the PCM components are easier and more readily available then that of the Indmar stuff!

Also mixing and matching would not be a problem either, stick a PCM induction on a Indmar engine.. No problem it's only $$$$$

• Baller
Z-Box seems like a better way to go, close enough. If you upgrade engine/ZO it's still an older boat, won't get any of that money out of it. If must have ZO better to make your current boat truly sparkle, sell it for a little more than you paid for it and go get a ZO boat.

• Baller

@BRY , will check out that option. (EDIT: did check it out. Looks like that could be a good option.)

But, for now, I have the old BTS/SL Cruise system that will probably be good enough for open water skiing if I am not going to get the real thing. Still, doesn't hurt to look. And regarding re-sale, that is not really the point. It is a nice, clean boat, that I got into pretty cheap considering the price of any newer boats. And even given the prices @bigskieridaho mentions, I would still be well ahead, and have a perfectly fine boat that I know.

That said, having received the answer (thanks @Jody_Seal and @bigskieridaho !) it is nothing I will act on for a long time, unless for some reason my engine blows. Which I doubt. For now, I am probably better spending any such money on lessons and rides at some good lakes I have access to, behind their boats, and keeping mine more about family fun, and practice on the open water lakes we ski. There is really only one course I am aware of I would have access to on a lake where I would put in.

Still, nice to know the answer. Thanks all!

• Baller
Having looked at all the options, it seems like, whenever I get to it which may not be for a while, the Perfect Pass Z-Box option is the most practical for me at this point. All I would really want is the feel of Zero Off so that my training behind my own boat helps to develop the skills that are most effective behind the boats at the tourney lakes. But it is nice to know what is possible either way. Thanks all, for the input.

• Baller
I have z-box on my 99 RLx and could never get it to work properly. With the z-box you can select the settings like ZO or select SG which is stargazer. I just leave it in stargazer mode now and it works pretty good. My place of work has had some problems or would have bought a ZO boat this year. Maybe next year. Stargazer is a good option but save the extra money and don't get the Z-box in my option.

• Baller

Well, I agree that for now, I will just get the BTS/SL Cruise re-calibrated with the new prop and RPMs and use it. It will not have any satellite system for verification (it is an RPM based, electronic tach based system), and will require some more futzing, but then should work just fine. But for now, my money is probably better spent on the coaching I plan to get, and other niceties for the boat, which are not much (Bimini, general clean up, and not much of that, and that is about it).

But when the time comes, if I am still loving my boat, I may still call @Jody_Seal and check it out. I like having a boat that has nearly no electronic doo dads in terms of stereo (none at all in this boat), technological screens, etc. Unless there are major advances in steering or something functional, a re-powered hull could be fine with me. I couldn't care less about re-sale. And to my knowledge, my hull has continued to have been used for years after this boat was built, and I know I like the wake. :)

But all that is a long ways off. For now, I enjoy at least having some ideas for later on, and will forget it and go skiing. Thanks all!