5.3 DI Oil Capacity and type?

jhughes

• Baller
Type would be 15W-40 as they don't recommend a brand. Consider looking at www.lelubricants.com for 8700 or 8800 Monolec. I am prejudice as I am a Mfg Rep for the Co but it's a heavy duty industrial "end user" brand not available at Walmart. You can buy it online or reply to me for discussion.

• Baller_

"However" ! Don't just dump 6 quarts of oil in and expect it to be correct. Proper procedure for refill is to fill oil filter before install. Then add 5qt's to the engine. Start engine and let run a minute or two. Then check oil and add 6 oz's at a time until correct level is reached.

At the shop we use Rotella 15W-40 unless other wise requested by customer.

I Use Royal purple.

• Baller
Thanks gang. Anybody else annoyed by how crammed in the DI motors are into that bilge and engine box? And the lower engine box half doesn't easily flip up? Totally ridiculous. Very tight situation with a lot of stuff going on under the motor including zip-tied wound up slack in engine looms, dual in-line heat exchangers (engine and trans oil coolers), etc. Just packed in. I gave up on getting the drain hose through the main drain and just used the Mityvac to pull the oil via the dipstick and then the drain hose. Sheesh.

• Baller
Use 2 blocks of a 2x4 placed ar the rear back corners of the motor box. Once you remove the wing nuts lift the rear carpeted section and slide the 2" wood blocks under carpeted section. This will allow you to swing the bottom section of the motor box open. This can all be done by one person once you learn the technique.

• Baller

The objective is to block up the bottom rear of the motor box so it is above the threaded bolt studs. This allows you to swing the whole motor box open against the rear back rest. You do need to have the rear seat removed.

• Baller

As long as you can plan a couple days ahead for your oil changes, Amazon Prime is the easiest thing going:

Oil

Filter

Also, to make things really easy (but not cheap), but will pay for itself in the long run:

Oil Changer

I made a quick release fitting to screw onto the oil change hose that plugs into the porta quick changer many, many years ago to simplify hookup. I have saved many hours with this setup over the many years that I have had it.

• Baller
Oh yeah, extra important on the new awful oil filter location on the new 5.3 and 6.2, don't forget to pull your heavy duty 1 Gallon Zip-lock bag with a few paper towels in the bottom over the filter before you break it loose!

• Baller
@skiinxs what I've found is to take a yard waste bag or 2 and cover the bilge and then use another smaller bag such as you falling zip loc to put the filter directly into the bag and zip it up. Hopefully no mishaps. And the extra drips go righ into the bag in the bilge.

• Baller
@dave2ball Yep, you can't protect too well, especially with the new filter location directly over the CARPET! I pull the zip-lock bag all the way above the top of the filter with the only lower spot being where the filter wrench is sticking out on the initial loosening. I use a Snap-On band wrench that a 3/8" ratchet plugs into directly at the filter, so once it breaks loose, I remove the ratchet and pull the bag up above the top of the filter as I unscrew by hand as the oil from the remote adapter is running out into the bag. I also use plastic leaf bags with paper towels on top all over the carpet "just in case".

• Baller
@Mark_Matis Thanks for the helpful tip about the diesel oil being in a different area of the store. I've never owned a diesel, so I never knew this or noticed. I went to AutoZone today, and sure enough, there it was off in a different area from all the other oils!

• Baller
This is a biased comment as I am a Mfg'ers rep for Lubrication Engineers but go to www.LElubricants.com and buy online, LE's 8700 Monolec Engine Oil. It has advanced anti-wear package and unbelievable detergent/dispersancy. Or call me w/credit card and I'll order it for you. This is an industrial heavy duty grade not sold in retail stores. LE puts their dollars in R&D and in the product; not in retail marketing. Here is your "BANG FOR YOUR BUCK."

• Baller
So, as an update, I went out and bought a couple gallons of Shell Rotella right after I was informed I was a dumb@ss here for not knowing about it. Of course, about 2 weeks later I saw the thread about how we can't use Rotella any more. So, anybody need 2 gallons of diesel oil that I have absolutely no use for? :s