Bunks on a boat lift- Carpet or Plastic Sleeve?

ReggieO

• Baller

Hi Folks,

I have acquired a new to me boat lift for our Response. I will not be powering the boat on, and am redoing the bunks. I was wondering, if I am better to have the plastic sleeve covering the wooden bunk or carpet to cover the wooden bunk? I am thinking the carpet will catch the debris, but it may be softer...the plastic sleeve should remain free of debris.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Keith

• Baller

We have both versions at our family lake. If you can't get a nice level setting for your lift, go carpet for sure. Plastic/vinyl bunks are slippery. When testing the plastic bunks on the original install with my bro's 200, it would've slid right off the lift had we not tied the nose of the boat to a tree.

Never had any issues with carpeted bunks over the course of almost 30 years now.

• Baller

In my recent experience, although I had the plastic bunks for the past 6 years with no issues, this past summer was exceptionally windy and rainy the plastic bunks cost me $4000 or so in damages, just enough movement from the wind and the cradle moving around wore holes in the bottom of my vtx. And before anyone asks, yes it was maxed out for height out of the water, long story short I will be changing to carpet....b2ydg655pjw0.jpg

About 8 of these beauties on the bottom...