303 Protectant - Before Wax or After?

JC McCavit

• Baller_

Never heard of Callinite. Quick internet search shows lots of products by them. Is it a multi step multi product thing? Or just the can of wax or just the bottle....? Sorry, thread hijack...I think.

Also, 303 on the vinyl.. ..after cleaning vinyl, is that all you guy apply or is there something that goes on top of the 303. And how often do you apply the 303?

• Baller

@Wish They have a cleaner that you can use before applying the wax it is a really mild compound.

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fiberglass-boat-cleaner/

And then they have a liquid and a paste, I prefer the paste since it is hard as a rock but you have to work in small areas if in the sun or it can be a real chore to buff it

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/

I got a whole ton of 303 Quick wax for free, but I still pay to get the Eagle One wax as you dry, just seems to work better for me.

303 aerospace protectant is all I apply on the vinyl - generous coat rubbed in and then set it out in the sun which will make it a lot less slippery. For me - a couple times a year or anytime I have to wash off the seats or an area. My boat lives inside, outside stored boats might need more frequent application

In the spirit of full disclosure, Gold Eagle sends me a whole lot of free stuff. SO aside from the Collinite and Eagle 1 Wax as you dry that I actually pay for. I do tend to use 303 products for most stuff ;)

yp1abeiqo7g2.jpg

• Baller
@Wish - yes for the Collinite. It is a real carnauba wax not a clear polymer sealant so it leaves a white wax residue that you buff. The Eagle 1 has carnauba in it but doesn't require much more than spray it on and give it a rub with a microfiber towel. It will leave white spots on your textured trailer fenders though if you drip it.

• Baller

@JC McCavit - FWIW, this would be the 303 product to use on the hull over your wax. Not saying that the 303 Aerospace protectant might not work but I don't think that is actually what it is meant for.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-marine-recreation-speed-detailer

Have not actually used this particular product, might need to order one up

• Baller
Well, maybe I am not to old to learn something new. I started putting 303 protectant on my 1986 MasterCraft. I used 303 protectant on the float plane so I knew it was good stuff, then I stared using it on the Mastercraft and then on my last two Ski Nautiques. Maybe it was because the MasterCraft had vinyl rainbow stripes instead of gelcoat for color.

• Baller
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you are supposed to use 303 on unwaxed surface. It is supposed to penetrate the gelcoat surface. I think it suggested re-application every 3 or 4 weeks to keep up the protection.

• Baller
I agree, 303 is great on fiberglass. I believe it was originally created for the fiberglass on helicopters that sit in the sun all the time. Many years ago a rep from one of the major gelcoat suppliers told me it was the best thing there was to put on fiberglass.

• Baller
A friend with a 94 Mastercraft has used only 303 on the fiberglass since he bought it new. He does not have a garage and it sits in the sun outdoors (with a cover). That boat literally looks as good now as it did when it was brand new. 23 years in the sun and absolutely no chalking. Very deep slick shine. Feels very smooth when you rub your hand over it. Wipe downs at the end of a ski day have no drag to the cloth at all. (I should get a bunch of free 303 for this post!) :)

• Baller
I just pulled my bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant off the shelf yesterday and it said you can apply it to most anything except suede, fabric (canvas) and something else I can't remember. Fiberglass was one of the surfaces it explicitly listed as being one to apply it to. I've only ever used it on vinyl. May have to try it on other surfaces. I usually use Collinite paste wax on the gelcoat.

• Baller

FWIW - I did order up a bottle of the 303 Speed Detailer to try it out. The weather here has been a lovely combo of raining or windy or cold so yesterday I decided to give the boat a good cleaning/detailing. The Speed Detailer did a great job of removing all the water spots and has no vinegar smell or coloring in it. Made my mostly black hull shine like a mirror (over the couple coats of Collinite). I'd say it does as good a job of removing the spots as my normal Eagle One wax as you dry, although the speed detailer also has no smell of carnauba so I don't think it is adding any wax.

Also gave the whole interior a good cleaning and put a couple coats of 303 Protectant on it - going to need to be careful until I get it out in the sun as the vinyl is really slippery right now.

Now if I could just find something to keep the water spots off the windshield. Tried rain-ex in the past and it didn't do anything to stop the water-spotting, regular windex (clear stuff not blue) does a better job of cleaning them off.