Advice on trailer boat guide covers

hemlock

• Baller

I'm looking at replacing my trailer boat guide covers.

The trailer has 1-7/8" metal pipe, and currently have a plain black 36" long 2" diameter pvc pipe.

Kinda boring.

I'm looking at these from Malibu gear.

Long Link

Anyone have these?

Are they just covers, or do they come with an insert of some kind?

Thanks!

• Baller

@hemlock does your Malibu have stainless rub rails with the exposed screws? Those tend to chew up just about any guide covers out there.

Just a heads up, it was a topic a few years ago on another site and is why many dealers stopped installing them on trailers.

• Baller

@Wayne, no screws. Just the plastic black rub rail.

And we don't load/unload very often, but I'm in the process of replacing all the bunks and steps with new treated wood and carpet. Just thought a Malibu guide post would finish it off nicely. We see so many other trailers with nice ones, and mine were always plain. :blush:

• Baller

@hemlock I was doing some work on my trailer a couple years ago and there were warnings of pressure treated lumber causing rapid corrosion to any metals that aren't stainless.

Just passing it along to be sure you've considered the potential.

• Baller
@oldjeep some trailers have the guides slightly narrower than the beam width. Eagle does it like that but their guides are "springy" so you always hit one or both when loading and unloading. I actually like the set up compared to the ones with extra space. We launch in a cross current and the boat is always centered with minimal effort and I don't need to retrieve with the trailer on the shallow side.

• Baller

@Wayne - if mine ever get hit it is either because I put the trailer in too deep or the bow came in cockeyed and hit them. The boat is firmly centered on the bunks by the time the windshield gets to the crash pads. Couple cranks and it is set. As always, launch ramps vary. I put new pads on it 4 years ago when I bought the boat (the originals were all dry rotted and faded after 2 years of sitting outside) and they don't have more than a mark or 2 on them.

@foxriverat - great deal, that is about half off the dealer price