Knee Problem/Pain

xrated

• Baller

Noticed the last few times skiing that afterwards my back (right) knee will be sore.

I guess now that I think about it for maybe half of the summer last year it was as well due to a OTF where my back foot stayed in the RTP while the ski augered in.

Up until last night I thought it was probably due to getting tired (skiing more than once each time out) and I was reverting to bad habits and using way too much rear foot pressure causing my leg to get tired and make my knee sore.

But last night I skied just one time, making a conscious effort to avoid back foot pressure. It felt great while everyone else skied, but by the time we wiped the boat down and made it to the deck for a beer it was aching.

I'm sure there is stuff inside the knee that could be trimmed, but that ain't an option right now. So what kind of exercise should I be doing to strengthening around the knee?

• Baller

I have had loads of surgery on my back knee, I really should have metal and plastic by now, what helps is, any exercise that triggers those little muscles around the knee as well as quads, I always do twenty lunges on each leg before skiing, to loosen things up, remember sometimes tightness in the calves or hamstring can also put strain on your knees, use a cross trainer and plenty of stretching, if pulling you leg up behind you, it is best to pull your leg up and away, this stretches/lengthens the quads and relieves pressure on the knee.

• Baller

Old HO rtp. I do tend to shove my foot in pretty far and hard.

@Chef23 I should but while my local ortho is good his clients are 95% hip and knee replacements. Then again he might be able to at least give a more accurate diagnosis than my x-ray tech self diagnosis of "probably some frayed stuff".

@Stevie Boy thanks for the ideas. I will start throwing some lunges in each day and working on stretching. Flexible I am not and chickens make fun of my legs!

• Baller

Lots of options for those types of docs....but my insurance isn't what it was at Mayo so I actually have to look around.

I work with an ER doc who did a sports med fellowship with the Colts and is very active himself,perhaps I will bring him a 6 pack and see what he suggests.

• Baller
I've had 2 surgeries on my left knee and its still has some meniscus issues. Its was hurting for about 9 months last year. I finally went to the doctor and he gave me some oral steroids and some anti-inflammatory cream to put on it. It cleared up in about 3 weeks.

• Baller

Yeah no of course I don't stretch. At 33 I still think I am 16 and can just go.

Though yesterday morning I did take a few minutes to do some stretches...didn't ski until 7pm but my knee did feel better.

• Baller
I'm a little older than you but also in my 30s. I was 34 and walking around in tons of pain after skiing and it dawned on me I needed to start stretching before I ski. Unfortunately that means getting out of bed 20 mins earlier for those dawn patrol sets, but the dividends a proper warmup pays are huge, especially if you're a fellow northerner jumping into 65-75 degree water in peak season.

• Baller
@xrated you may want to be aware of your on-side turn mechanics. It is very easy to get in the habit of driving your on-side turn with your back leg and twisting the back knee in the process. Also, a good warmup goes a long way - I've settled on a few minutes with a jump rope to get the blood flowing.

• Baller

@jerrym I've been paying attention to that, gonna take some time and work to break bad habits. Taken a few falls where I put too much front foot pressure, but I can notice when I do it right.

Otherwise I talked to my friendly ER doc this weekend and work and am gonna start doing squats, etc to try and strengthen the muscles and cut the pain.