? For 35 off

MNshortliner

• Baller
I can run 32's like a walk in the park and now trying 35's. I can squeak out a pass at 34 mph but if I slow down to 33 mph everything comes together. The problem I am having at both speeds is that right after the buoy I get a big spray shot in my face and am skiing almost blind back to the wake. Also 35 vs 32, 35 feels like I come out to the buoy line pretty flat to the buoy but 32 I can get a quick edge change and get on the inside of the ski and the momentum takes me around the buoy. I may have to get some video

• Baller
The spray in the face is buoy hunting. If you are still staring at the ball and you turn it you break a little and get spray in the face. The flat, at buoy trajectory is the product of a loaded pull and a long pull. Be sure not to drop the hammer at your gate so you won't be loaded and be able to edge change.

• Baller
one of the best shortline skiers I know told me to "stay up after the turn". I used to drop and load after the turn. Lots of spray in the face. Keeping my head and shoulders up not only does the ski turn quicker, your speed stays higher and you are off to the next ball. Not easy to conceptualize for sure, but it matters.

• Baller

Taller into and out of the ball...don't tip over. If you are early it is easy to start tipping inward and then by the time you are at the ball there is only one way you are going to turn (I fight this too on my 2 and 4 side). So why does someone tip over? Early so think you can separate from the handle and reach. When I ski 35 well I've still got two hands on as I begin to break the 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 line...but that means I didn't over pull allowing me to keep it.

Hard to say as you mention without video but if this resonates go with it.

Also recommend rope with mid sections thru Brenda at In-tow. 33.5 loop skis 35'ey but more room for error...really fun line.

Where are you in MN?

• Baller

I will try holding the handle longer. I have heard that numerous times before. Also have thought about half loops but slowing down 1 mph helps a ton.

I am near Fergus Falls area and have a course on u public lake but ski early mornings so mostly get great conditions depending on wind.

• Baller

Skied this morning at 32 off and tried holding the handle longer out to the buoy line but it didn't work out to good. Way to much speed coming out to the buoy I'll have to work on that some, guess I'm set in my old ways.

But then slowed the boat to 33 mph and tried 35 off again and my first pass I didn't get a drop of water in my face and ran it really clean. Right from the pre gate I eased into the turn more and rather than flopping over around the buoy I had more of an arcing carve. Felt like I was more neutral as far as weight front foot to back foot through the arc.

Thanks for the great tips... now to get a good feel for 35 and eventually get the speed back up to 34.

• Baller
Keeping the handle does not mean pull longer and does not mean not to edge change, you still need to carry the same direction but are adding he factor of maintaining your connection. If you let yourself go to the ball you will always have too much speed and be unable to turn.

• Baller
I don't think I was pulling longer by holding the handle to the buoy line I just think I wasn't getting on top of my ski as quick. My normal way of skiing is early release, edge change, and front foot heavy to the buoy. That is what slows me down for the cut back. Skiing like that I found out hasn't worked for 35 but for 32 I would have tons of time and it would feel like a walk in the park. For 35 it felt like I actually had to tone it back a bit just like (you) @RazorRoss3 said in your earlier post. The best quote I got was not to drop the hammer after the buoy.

• Baller
Early release will not work at 35, the moment you give up connection either by releasing early or by letting the handle come up away from your body even with two hands on your skis direction will shift to the buoy. Not to say it's impossible but you will never be wide or early. Staying light helps because it is easier to control your direction off the second wake when you have less load in your pull so that is certainly important.