Malibu Open cancelled

mlange

• Baller
I just pinged the Menomonee Falls parks department to ask about River's Edge Park. Looks like they have a lagoon that's about 1900 feet long and the perfect width for the week's activities. Would be a miracle, but maybe a suburb can come to the rescue.

• Baller
Just found out about this, on this thread, and I was planning on going. For my first time! If there is any chance for a clinic I'll go or if I still end up in Milwaukee and some ballers want to ski PM me and I'll pack my stuff and head out, got a hotel anyways would be a shame to waste it.

• Baller

@MalaysianBaller thanks. My contact up there hadn't gotten back to me yet. Going to start pinging a few pros on InstaGram to see if anyone's planning to stay in town over the weekend. If we can scrape together 10 or 15 skiers to chip in for some coaching, we might be able to help a few of these guys or girls make some of their $ back. I hate the idea of these folks associating Wisconsin with a waste of their money. :(

I'll volunteer to pick up any pro who's hoteled downtown and get them to Neosho.

Glad I checked to see that the event was cancelled. Pretty lame. I might go jump in the lagoon after work tomorrow just to prove that the algae won't kill you.

Depending on the fee, I might know a few guys (including me) that would be interested in having some watch their skiing and provide top-level advice. Neosho would work. There has to be other spots too, even if it has to be a portable course.

I always thought that the fox river in downtown Waukesha would be a good site to host a tourney. It is a suburb of Milwaukee, is out toward "lake country", and is close to the interstate that heads to Madison. A show team performs at the site with outboards, but I've heard the problem is that the water is very shallow for an inboard. Supposedly they might dredge it at some point.

• Baller
From what I've been able to glean, everyone either managed to cancel before flying up, or skipped town. Don't think the clinic thing is gonna work. Waukesha would be interesting, but that can have a fair amount of current depending on recent rainfall. Would be fantastic setup for watching though. Less obstructed views than the Veteran's Park lagoon for sure.

• Baller
I know its not a Scottish fest, but I believe I've seen some Irish men in Kilts. Just seemed a little humorous in the news report Wish shared that they commented on the inability to move the tournament due to the Irish fest, so a hostile takeover seemed appropriate.

As the Duncanville Tribune has previously reported

The Malibu Open has been rescheduled for September 29/30 at the Trophy Lakes Watersports Training facility. Kim Bryant and his staff have graciously invited the event to their world class facility.

We have worked hard to reschedule an event to showcase the talents of these professional athletes. This is a great venue to do so. We have teamed up with another event to make this a festival atmosphere.

Below is a preview of events that will also be taking place during the event at the site. This opportunity should truly bring our event to a new audience.

We hope to bring the magic back to Trophy Lakes with the 2017 Malibu Open.

Details will be posted at www.malibuopenfestival.com

September 29 - Friday To kick off our annual Lowcountry BBQ Fest, admission will be throughout the day and bbq teams prepare for the cook off which we judge the following day. We will have local favorite bands & children's amusements as well as festival foods, adult bev.

Saturday- Sept 30

Gates open @11, Car show/bike show people can walk around & enjoy BBQ & festival food from all contestants, there will be helicopter rides, amusement for kids, face painting etc, we will have local craft vendors, Live Music,

The actual BBQ contest judging will be @ 2pm,

Sunday - October 1

4 wheel drive, tractor show, amusements for the kids, live country music, festival foods, beverages etc

Also check out

Www.alligatorjacksfest.com

• Baller
@mlange I'm with you. Can't help but feel like WI let folks down. Having the Open in MKE each year is something I'm really proud of as a local ski freak. I've introduced a lot of folks to the sport via this tournament over the years. I have that same feeling in my gut about this as I had after the Dr. Michaels fiasco. Slight embarrassment mixed with regret mixed with fear it'll never come back. Hope I'm wrong.

• Baller_

This is great!!. Had the privilege of being there for the first time at the Denali Summit and at the same time there was a Oyster Festival with hundreds of locals attending. They all had easy access to the long shoreline. Just about anywhere is a good seat. Should be a great time. I know @adamhcaldwell will make it something special for all attending. I hear he/they have already transformed the place. My only regret was not taking the helicopter ride.

www.trophylakesports.com

If you've never been there, this is short vid of the place along with the festival. You just have to imagine it being warmer.