Malibu Open cancelled

mlange

• Baller

That sucks, what am I supposed to do at work on Friday now that I can't watch the Malibu Open?

While there are a lot of sites in Wisconsin and neighboring states I don't know how many of them have the capacity to host an event that size not to mention hotels and banquet. It's not as simple as just pulling the skiers.

• Baller

THE MALIBU OPEN IS CANCELLED

We regret to inform all the skiers, volunteers, and sponsors that the Malibu Open this coming weekend must be cancelled due to an unforeseen algae bloom at the Milwaukee Lagoon. The county has pulled our permit and will not allow the event to take place.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this will cause everyone. We attempted to work with the county to no avail. We have attempted to locate an alternate site near the area, but due to this being a last minute occurrence, a site has not come to fruition. Tony Drake worked tirelessly to help with a solution, however we have been unable to make other arrangements that would be acceptable to Malibu and our many sponsors.

We are planning on rescheduling the event at a later date to be determined soon.

Attached is a copy of the mail I received yesterday evening from the county.

Waterski Events LLC

Chad,

Thanks for taking the time to talk. As we discussed, due to the latest information that we have received, we cannot issue a permit for the use of the lagoon at Veterans Park as part of the Malibu Open event.

In case you need confirmation of the contact for Lakeshore State Park, you can reach out to Tom Kroeger via email (I have included him on this message) or at (414)750-1237, as he may have a location that is able to host your event. Please see the following links for more information.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/lakeshore/pdfs/LSP0506c.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/lakeshore/

With these test results out of our direct control and monitored by the Milwaukee Health Department, we need to rely on them as the experts in regard to safety of both the participants and the public at large.

Jeff

Jeffrey Orlowski, CPRE

Chief of Business Services (Interim)

(414)257-8087 Direct

I have been in communication with the parks for weeks. They never mentioned any possibility that we could not have the event. The permit has been approved. Guys swam the lake and put the course in a week ago. No issues. I was hit with this shit at 3 pm yesterday. Trust me i am as invested with you and any other skiers and i volunteer for this shit

@FWinter As I said I have been in contact with the parks since that day no one made any indication we could not hold the event. They allowed us to swim the entire lagoon and put the course in last weekend. They wanted us to be aware. If there was and Environmental Protection Agency in Moomba. Do you think they would let you ski in the yarra. I think not. I can assure you that I as well as everyone else did everything we could to deal with this situation. Not only have I invested my own time and money into this event. But several others have as well. We are already on the grounds in Milwaukee. Once the EPA stepped in. Which occurred yesterday we were yanked. I am as disgusted as anyone and have been trying to deal with this all yesterday evening and last night. Had I been told the event was in jeopardy we would have cancelled

• Baller
I don't think that can be done. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a site within 2 hours of Milwaukee that has the infrastructure to support this event and can be ready to host it with no lead time in about 36 hours. Not to mention you need to get the boats, sponsors, volunteers, skiers, etc to that new location. I doubt it is impossible but I would view it as highly unlikely.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan eh, why would I be emotional? I've only come from the other side of the Atlantic and spent multiple thousands of unrecoverable dollars on flights etc in the hope that I'd be able to compete and earn a part of it back. As @theboardingschool says, good thing I'm loaded as a pro and this money means nothing to me.

• Baller
If any of the lakes in Chicagoland could step in and do this, I'd gladly shuttle skiers from Milwaukee to Chicago on my dime to prevent folks paying airline change fees and fare differences. I've got a crew cab pickup and can haul lots of stuff. From downtown Milwaukee to prime sites SW of Chicago is about a 90 minute drive. Water's Edge in Wilmington IL for instance?

• Baller
@FWinter Just throwing something else of short notice out there... perhaps a group of us WI, MN and IL (or whoever is in) ballers could pool some money and pay for a clinic while you're here? I'm sure we can find a site, and my Prostar is at your service. Just a thought?

• Baller
As just a common ski hack sitting in a cubicle right now, lets try and keep it tame everyone, no point getting into it with each other despite how frustrating it must be for all those who have invested time and money in the event unlike most of us who were just planning to pretend to work while watching the webcast on our second monitor all day. Our energy is better spent either trying to find a work around or at least try to find a way to prevent this kind of late notice surprise from happening again.

• Baller

@Chad_Scott didn't see you last post until now. I'm not assigning blame to you or any of the organisers, far from it. Like you said, I know you well enough to know that you would be the most disappointed and frustrated about this. If you get told you can't use the lake it isn't your fault. It just blows my mind that this order came at the last moment.

I am however not incredibly happy with the situation as a whole, which has seen me spend serious money (as far as I'm concerned) to travel across the world for no result.

• Supporting Member

@FWinter Yeah, that is handy that you're rolling in cash...

Sounds like there may have been nothing that could have been done differently/better by anybody on the ski side. But still TOTALLY SUCKS!

Love the clinic idea. Perhaps a tiny bit of lemonade from these lemons?

• Baller

Bummed to hear this as this was going to be my first real tournament I was going to attend.

Since I was already planning on driving to Milwaukee from Minneapolis and took the time off work I'd be game for a clinic!

• Baller_
Not free but @MS is correct. If it was getting bad enough to get a mention weeks ago, it could have been treated. Again, not for free and often needs permitting if there was not one already but at this point... hindsight. i feel very bad for all involved. Can't imagine the emotions out there right now.

• Baller
There are a couple of sites up here in northwestern WI, not to mention the Twin Cities area, and plenty of ballers I'd think to pay a pro to come up here for a clinic. Seems like a shame to have the world's greatest skiers all in WI, with nothing to do but lose their investment.

• Baller_

Not trying to deflect any blame, but algae blooms can occur in very short order. Enough to force cancelling an event not sure about, and also something that should have been on the radar screen for the local (area knowledgeable) organizer/approver, etc. Unfortunately no backup plan was in place, hopefully a lesson learned to improve planning for next event.

Hopefully something can be salvaged to offer those that spend hard earned cash, invested time/money a way to recover the cancellation to not be a total loss, the power of BOS already in motion.

• Baller
I feel like my guts have been ripped out! I've been going 24/7 for over a month getting ready for the Open. Took one afternoon off to go to a birthday party. Not to mention the financial hit I'm going to take. Hopefully it will get re-scheduled and this will be nothing but a bad dream.

• Baller
Well crap I got the email this morning also bags are packed flight is booked! When I heard about this a couple weeks ago I thought for sure it would be sorted out no problem! I guess I will have 3 extra days to hang out and ski with old friends! Meelewaukay! here we come!

• Supporting Member

Somehow this discussion seems to have shifted over to a 3-year-old thread, but there Chad Scott indicates that this even will be held (somewhere/sometime) after all!!!

Perhaps we (or @MattP or @Horton) can move that back to this thread?