2018 Radar Vapor Review

Horton

• Administrators

To quote Brooks Wilson, “The only thing that stayed the same is the name”. The 2018 Vapor is an entirely new ski design from Radar and the third major redesign of the Vapor.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2017/VaporReview/18Vapor.jpg

The first generation of Vapor (2014-2015) was appropriately compared to Italian sports cars. It was fast and provided extreme performance to the skier who could handle it. The second generation of Vapor (2016-2017) had all of the performance of the previous version but with much more sophistication and polish. The new 2018 version has at least as much performance of the previous versions with an additional level of refinement.

General Feel:
The ski turns effortlessly and makes as much speed as any ski on the market but perhaps the most important attribute of the new Vapor is balance. This ski makes it easy for the skier to keep flowing in the right direction.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2017/VaporReview/18Vapor-2.jpg

Ball to the wakes:
From the ball to the wakes, the 2018 Vapor holds angle and creates speed with surprising little skier effort. Part of this is the result of the ski carrying substantial speed through the turn. Skiers may find that they can take more passes per ride with less fatigue on the new Vapor. The lack of strength required is one of many factors that translates into more overall control and calm skiing.

Wakes to the ball:
Gaining width on the course is practically automatic. The ski flows out from the center of the course quickly and rolls up on edge at a rate that will surprise you the first time you feel it. This contributes to a tip down attitude approaching the ball. These same attributes also come into play after apex and result in more speed after the ball.

Off Side:
The inherent balance of the ski makes it easy for the skier to stay centered on both feet and flow through the turn. When the skier starts to initiate the turn, the ski quickly carves a tight arc and heads toward the wakes with surprising speed.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2017/VaporReview/18Vapor-3.jpg

During the review period, ski adjustments were focused on getting the Off Side turn right. My personal technique flaws required me to tune the ski so it would not overturn Off Side. Once the fin and bindings were set for Off Side, I put the tools away and just skied.

On Side:
On Side turns on the Vapor are basically fool proof and automatic. Provided that the skier does not do anything frightfully stupid, the ski is going to turn when it is asked and create plenty of angle. Previous generations of the Vapor required more front foot pressure to turn On Side. Skiers should always strive to be forward at On Side, but this ski will forgive you more then most if you do not.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2017/VaporReview/18Vapor-5.jpg

Quirks:
One of my personal skiing flaws is that I rotate my shoulders more than I should, and I push into the exit of Off Side. The stock “long shallow” settings are perhaps superior to “short deep” for some skiers, but the ski worked much better for me with “short deep” settings.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2017/VaporReview/18Vapor-6.jpg

Conclusion:
The 2018 Radar Vapor is a ski that just works. The 2016-2017 Vapor was a classic, and the 2018 Vapor is even better.

Official Radar settings https://www.radarskis.com/finsettings/

Final Review Settings 29 15/16th /.776 / 2.507 / 6.863 / 9

• Administrators
@skidawg taking my binings off was a bummer but not nearly as bad as seeing @Rico put his bindings on it. I actually feel bad for that beautiful ski knowing the terrible things he's going to do on it

@Horton Curious on your impressions and pro/cons of the two different fin and binding settings they are showing on their site. I am ridding a 67" 2018 Vapor and loving it. Was hit and miss running 35 on my previous D3, and after a handful of sets on the Vapor I have run 35' the last two. Took a look at 38', but just don't have the full out comfort level I did on my old ski to do much with it yet but getting there. I am on the long and shallow settings (Brooks set it up a Nationals for me) and bindings at 30 1/8. I tried the bindings back a bit as it was searching some out of course but struggled on my harder passes, so living with the searching for now until I can find something I need to change while running buoys.

• Baller_

@JGray IMO the short/deep vs long/shallow fin is mostly what works for a skier's individual style. I've run fin/bindings all over the map on multiple skis and I always seem to gravitate to short/deep. @SkiJay's book also explains this.

Specifically on the vapor, I rode a 68 at nationals with the short/deep settings and loved it. Second set at home and my driver was commenting on how much smoother and easier to pull I was than other skis. On my 3rd set I tried the long/shallow and was much "less smooth" and had difficulty getting width into my strongside turn. Back to short/deep and much better - for me.

I think radar's description of "more nimble and manueverable" for short/deep is accurate.

The best advice is to try each and see which works better for you.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

@Bruce_Butterfield and @Razorskier1 thanks for the responses and I hear you there and will give short and deep a try this weekend when I have time to do a short set on one and short on another to back to back feel them. I was honestly surprised at how well the long shallow worked for me. But yes I am also a "C" settings skier, and really my biggest gotcha is when I get to 35 or 38 is pushing on the tail and finding myself face down in the water at the ball. I know I shouldn't do that but you don't realize your doing it until you are not longer attached to the handle. But if I keep from doing it, it really rewards me!

Question for both when trying the various settings did you move the bindings too? Shows decent placement difference on their website.

• Baller_

I'm at 30 5/8"

I plan to try bindings fwd 1/8 as my first adjustment outside of long/shallow. I've only had 4 sets so far.

For the speed control........I used C1 for years, but after playing with trick mode, i realized just how hard and soon the boat was hitting me before I completed the turn and i was scrambling to finish. I switched to A3 and it allows me more time to complete and hook up before the throttle comes on. Not as good as trick mode, but better than C.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Tried the short and deep setting finally, and it does seem to fit me a bit better I think. Only have a few sets on it and then apparently my back decided I had skied enough so need some time off. But first set ran 28, b2b 32's and 35 on my first attempt and that was in a pretty tough wind. I did like the long and shallow and felt it was less effort, just didn't allow me as much opportunity to scramble and recover. The short and deep seems to allow for more of that, but still retains the basic feel and awesomeness of the ski.

• Baller

How many sets do you put in on a new ski before making fin adjustments? I can feel this ski do some awesome stuff, but my offside is just not quite there. I want to take a few more sets where it is, to really get a feel for it, but everything I read, people are going short and deep, or at least shorter and deeper than stock. I know it's the Indian, not the arrow, so I don't want to rush the adjustment.

It let me do some awful stuff, and still run my normal passes though. This thing is special. @Zman I want to come ride with you guys up there soon, but any time you're in my area, we'll take a set or two

• Baller
Only one set at dark with no video so, I'm not exactly sure what I was doing @UWSkier. My standard is to rush my offside, turn my shoulders in, basically everything @Horton said he does. I didn't like the short/deep settings on the 16/17, so I set it up at long/shallow. It was closest to that out of the box anyway, but different skis like different setups. @mbabiash liked the short/deep on the 17. Maybe we'll like the same numbers on the 18

• Baller

Very happy with mine at the stock settings, but I am curious if I should experiment with short and deep. Occasionally, I am getting a slight stall out of my offside turn (2/4). When it happens and I am patient, I'm back in the pass without an issue.

Fantastic ski, now owns my practice PB and it is giving me more legit cracks at purple than I can ever remember.

• Baller

Went short and deep this weekend for 3 sets this weekend with flawless conditions. Definitely comes around quicker. Scores were pretty consistent despite a pretty significant change, although I did have a couple earlier falls that I attribute to getting accustomed to the quicker turn. I assume I will settle into that pretty easily. In short, both settings seem awesome.

In the spirit of end of season experimentation, I am going to try a little more length and less depth next weekend (aka Horton's numbers).

• Baller

I am 6"2 215lbs and have been riding the 16 Vapor 68 and up to august a 17 Pro Build 68. I tried the 18 Vapor in 67 and loved it. I moved from the initial stock settings 6.975/2.450/0.765/9 - 30 but much preferred 6.860/2.505/0.780/9-30. The ski feels fast but shutdown enough in the pre-turn. Offside is amazing. When the temp dropped recently, I felt like the ski was riding higher and I started getting some tail slides and overturning on my offside. I added a bit of depth 2.510 and a notch of length 6.865 as well as moved my front boot to 30 1/8. The ski is more grippy and stable.

It is great for an heavier guy to be riding a 67. One thing that I found is you really have to move forward in the turn and at the finish of the turn (like on most skis I guess).

Bottom line is I loved the 18 and I'm very excited about the new ski season.

• Baller
I suppose it all comes down to the skier and skiing style, but in my experience riding the ski and setting others up the deep/short has been the setting of choice. If you love the long/shallow, you have nothing to lose by trying short/deep for a set or two, just to see if it's even better. If you have only tried long shallow and this ski hasn't totally won your heart yet, get on those short/deep settings!

• Baller

I have been on the deep short settings since the 2016 vapor.

Those settings were way better for me than the shallow settings for me.

Still not comfortable on it. I've had my great scores on the vapor but ice never been comfortable on it.

• Baller
Just got on a 66" Vapor. I hadn't slalomed in three weeks. I skied a set on my 2015 Vapor, then hopped on the one. I tried the long and shallow settings and this ski is something else. It's amazing how easy it is to generate speed across the course but the ski always seems to slow down enough to make a nice smooth turn. Can't wait to spend some more time with it!

• Baller
@Horton For a skier at say 28-32 @34 vs the shorter lines lengths, do you think that long-shallow vs deep short has any noticeable advantage. As a skier I have always wondered whether recommended settings were dialed in for 85 or 68 degree water?, Double boots, or RTP. Line length? I'm surprised that settings for different length skis are often the same? Or does it matter?

• Administrators

@jas Long Shallow vs Short Deep is largely about (in my opinion) how high the tail of the ski rides. Your specific skills and how you ride a ski dictate what is ideal for you.

I think the short answer for your question about stock settings is that a factory should take input from a lot of skiers with different situations to find a good starting place. That is Stock.

• Baller
@Horton do you think a Long shallow setting takes more skill? I was experimenting with longer fin settings and the ski was coming around really nicely in the turn. Tail was definitely riding higher. It felt great in the turns but sketching if I got the least bit forward at the wakes.

• Administrators
@gregy I guess the bottom line is those settings didn't work for my skill-set. I think they actually work for a lot of skiers at all levels. On the other hand a lot of skiers prefer short deep.

• Baller

I loved the long/shallow on the “17 Vapor and didn’t like the short/deep.

On the “18 Vapor, the long/shallow felt ok, and sometimes great, when I was skiing my technical best. When I wasn’t, I was erratically blowing the tail offside, and riding the tail into the ball, onside. I never felt smooth, unless I was skiing my best.

Short/deep, I have to make sure I don’t overcrank my offside turn, but other than that, it takes me screwing up, in several places, to not run passes. I’m always early and wide. I’m in love with my Vapor again