Prostar exhaust smells

Timber

• Baller

Hi

I have an '14 Prostar with 5.7l and from day one the exhaust smell like "rotten eggs". I tried gasoline 91 octane with no success. The dealer don't know what to do and the warranty end soon. Somebody have the same problem? the odor has become unbearable...

• Baller
Check with an expert before you straight pipe it. I believe (but I'm no expert) that there are sensors that measure temperature, oxygen levels, etc. from the catalytic converters for use by the ECM. I used to own a '14 Prostar, and I believe the warranty was five years from the date it was put in service as a new boat.

• Baller

Change your driver's diet.

It is possible to illegally bypass the catalytic converter. But the parts to do that are not cheap. And you will have a lot of conversion work. Better to replace the stock parts when they fail.

Do check your voltage. @Drago has good advice but that's a problem you don't want to let go.

Contaminated fuel might be the problem. But it should pass through. If you don't have a trouble code forcing the boat into limp mode your cat might be OK. Get it nice and hot with a long high speed run and maybe you can burn off all the sulfur.

Take it in at the end of the season to a mechanic with the code reader if it still stinks. A bad cat will reduce power and economy a bit but shouldn't damage more than the cat. Ski it until you can't.

@Jody_Seal might be able to quote you prices on a new cat. I couldn't find anything online.

Keep us posted on your situation.

Eric

• Baller

Like @eleeski said, the rotten egg smell in the exhaust is likely sulfur on the catalyst getting burned off; sulfur can be deposited on the catalyst as a byproduct of combustion. You mentioned that you tried 91 octane, but what is your fuel source? Do you use pump fuel or bulk/off-road fuel? How is your oil consumption? There is very little sulfur in the current blends of 15W40 oil and road grade fuel these days but those are the likely sources if sulfur is indeed the root cause. Since you've had this issue from delivery I don't think it's any issue with the engine itself.

Hope this helps and you can get it fixed under warranty!