Do you do crossfit during the season?

skispray

• Baller

For the last two off-seasons I've been doing crossfit. I'm really happy with what it's done for my skiing but both last year and this year I've thought that I'd keep doing it during the season a couple days a week only to find myself giving it up mid-season because I feel worn down and always skiing with sore muscles. I end up just skiing and trying to eat healthy until the offseason starts again. It's a decent system but I don't like going cold-turkey during the season, as I'm losing some of the strength that I built up during the offseason and it feels like I get some imbalances from purely skiing.

I'm wondering if others do crossfit during the season and, if so, how do you keep yourself fresh for skiing and avoid from burning yourself out? Are there other workout programs that are more complimentary to in-season skiing? FYI, I do crossfit about four days per week in the offseason and in-season I ski three days per week. At the beginning of the season I'm usually in the gym 1-2 days per week but, as I said, haven't been able to keep it up through the season.

• Baller

@skispray I have been doing CF for about 5 years and have tried to continue during the ski season without much luck. This season I tried to do both and found I just don't have the power I need to ski at my peak, time is an issue as well. Water skiing is basically a HIIT exercise, if you are in the right position it is a super heavy dead-lift 6 times within 16s. It is also very repetitive, putting a lot of emphasis on the shoulders and hamstrings/low back, all things you need to be fresh for skiing.

My advice, do whatever your body will allow you to do, but know that if you are lifting on your off the water days your body never really recovers. Cycling the 'sports' between seasons works best for me. That said, after tournament season is over I stop heeding that advice and start ramping up at the gym while trying to catch sets when I can.

• Baller

During ski season, I don't really do anything else with pulling lifting motions other than ski. I do, however, spend a lot of time on the mountain and road bikes. Road bike for endurance. Mountain bike for balance, agility, reflexive motion. Both for fun and to keep the legs and back strong.

I used to lift to try to look like the Mountain from Game of Thrones. Giving up on that idea has helped my joints, and my skiing, a lot.

• Baller

I'm completely against working out hard during ski season. I'm 51 and it doesn't work for me.

During the season I only do whatever it takes to maintain flexibility and core strength in the lower back, hamstrings and psoas/spinal erectors.

Then work out hard in the winter to put "armor" on to protect your body during ski season.

• Baller

I really enjoy running, skiing and lifting... in that order.

Every year I try to do all 3 for as along as possible, then my wife laughs at me when I start going to bed at 8:30 from being so tired.

I've learned that I can only do 2 out of 3 in any one season.

For me, if I ski 2 sets on a Tuesday night and pull my kids it's hard to get up at 5am to workout the next morning.

Rest and nutrition are important, especially if you're over 40.

I wish my PT would let me go lighter / easier, but he's not very sympathetic.

I can't do crossfit "occasionally." ie. 1-3 times a week. If I do, I'm stiff after every workout and can't do much else in my day to day.

But if I do it consistently (5-6 times a week), I get in great shape, and then it's only the really nasty workouts (maybe once every other week), that I get stiff from. Other than these exceptional days, I don't feel it impacts my skiing. So therefore, I'm kind of binary with crossfit during the season. I either do a lot, or none at all (like this year).

Skiing is really hard work ... but I can't rely on it to keep me in shape during the season. 20 seconds X 6 ... even at incredibly high intensity ... just isn't enough volume for a days workout. So I try to find other ways to exercise during ski days (Running + I have an old training program from my hockey days I can draw from. A lot of core work, agility, balance, power, but not a ton of pure strength).

• Baller

@blakeyates We had a guy over 70 in our gym, worked out alongside him plenty of times. https://games.crossfit.com/article/77-year-old-competitor

Every movement and exercise can be scaled down to whatever is manageable. Highly recommended.

We also have a dude who was paralyzed in a motocross accident when he was 30, shows up in his wheelchair and just rocks. Can rope climb up the rope with his wheelchair. Inspirational.

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitFreedom/videos/1536277066415151/

• Baller
@blakeyates I'll say this: you really have to know your body and your temperament. It's easy to get caught up with the 25 year olds and out-do yourself, leading to nagging injuries. I find I have to be in ok shape before I start CrossFit in hopes of getting in great shape.

@blakeyates we have plenty of older men and women in our classes. As others have said, the workouts can all be scaled to an appropriate level of intensity for each individual. The important thing with any crossfit gym is making sure that the trainers are anal about technique and safety. My last gym wouldn't let me power clean anything other than the bar until my technique was flawless. They also made me do less volume until I was in good shape. This is the way it should be, as opposed to be thrown into the deep end, lifting as much as possible regardless of technique and current conditioning. So it's important to ask around to make sure the gym has a good reputation for these things. They vary incredibly.

• Baller

Summer: Ski 3-4 days/wk and Crossfit 0-2 days/wk

Winter: Water Ski 0, Snow ski a bit and I CrossFit 3-5x/wk

I would go more during the ski season but I simply don't have time. The KEY is to go light and chose your workouts. I go silly light sometimes. If I haven't done squats in a few weeks I wont even attempt to do my body weight even though I could. Heck, it might be just air squats. Dead lifts are tempting because we are super skis strong but I take it easy or I will blow up my hamstrings. All the pull up stuff is strong all year around and no issue.

I ski better period if I cross train in season. I just have to be smart about it

• Baller

I stopped doing free weights many years ago, trying for the lean "skier" look, and adding flexibility.

I lost over 30 pounds this spring, thanks to help from a good friend's diet tips, got into Pilates (try it, it's amazing) and started running about three times/week. Each morning I knock out about 30 chin-ups, pushups and a light stretching routine.

I've never felt better.

• Baller
I have a good friend that is a physical therapist with his own practice for over 35 years. He told me last week (somewhat tongue and cheek) that crossfit has been great for his business. A lot of this depends on your age. I am over 50 and rest/recovery is WAY more important than anything else.

• Baller

Pilates (look for the reformer machines), and yoga...i took the winter off due to elbow pain - discovered the root cause was from my neck (latent whiplash - all slalom skiers have it).

Pilates and yoga couple of times a week throuh the winter..by the time i hit the water again in march, i was strong as an Ox...way stronger than anytime during my season. AND, my form was much better...i am 44 and still skiing into 38'off@36mph...i don't feel broken anymore...

I have also noticed this with my daughter - she wake-boarded all last season, althouh i taught her to 'mono-ski' 2 years ago. Pilates & yoga all winter, she started skiing this summer...right from her first deep-water start, her form was amazing..she can run the course easily at 28mph - skiing properly....however, as the summer has progressed, i have noticed that her 'form' has dropped off slightly as she hasn't been keeping up with the pilates..

pilates gives you control of all the little muscles that stabilize - they need to be exercised otherwise you loose the ability to engage them...then then 'big' muscles kick in = try to pull the pole out of the boat etc...

I'm a personal trainer and lift 4-5 days a week during the off season, with some running or cycling thrown in about 3-4 day a week. When I start skiing I can't keep up with the weights, my body needs time to recover. I will usually create a total body workout that hits chest, 1 leg exercises, and core. I do this 1-2 days a week on my days off from skiing. I still try to get in 3-4 days of running or cycling, I can usually combine them with ski days, since I usually ski earlier in the day. If I do anything more strenuous than walking my dog prior to skiing, it really effects my skiing.

• Baller

In the PT clinic I treat a fair amount of X fit folks for lumbar injuries and hypo mobility -not stretching. I'm sure it varies in different x fit gyms but it seems like trying to keep up with the work out of the day without getting some feedback on the form your doing it with is not always a good thing.

Climbing is a really good way to cross train mixed with stretching hip flexors, hams and piriformis. I have a 45* bouldering wall in my garage.

Curious, the X 'fit' women out west seem to all be gals who just want non defined bulk -not attractive to most men. For those who participate in X fit where your at do you notice that most of the women into it are just going for the non defined bulking up thing?

Most people over 30 shouldn't do crossfit? That's almost like saying most people over 30 shouldn't slalom. Sheesh.

I've been a crossfit for the better part of 7 years and have never experienced anything close to an injury. Nor has anyone I train with. Many of whom are 60years and older. Sure, like any activity, there's risk, but I find it absolutely insane to discourage people from doing something that's been shown to be so addicting and efficient at building strength. Don't run. Don't ski. Don't do crossfit. Too risky!!! As I said before, a good trainer will make sure you are safe. They won't let you lift 1lb too much. That's the trick in crossfit. I've been lucky to have some of the best trainers.

Perhaps I've drank the Kool-aid. But I've experienced the benefits of crossfit first hand (chronic shoulder pain caused by muscular imbalance gone. A much stronger beer league hockey player! And I posted my fastest half marathon time, while doing way less pure "running" leading up to it, compared to other years .). And for those creatures like me, who are super competitive, and social, it's 1000X more fun than just hitting the gym solo.

A few bad trainers have given it a terrible name

• Baller
Yes I would have to agree with @david_quail, having experienced crossfit firsthand I would say that the reputation that crossfit has in regards to injuries is significantly overblown. There are some boxes that are of lower quality though and some people push themselves too hard, so I believe the PT stories. Just know that you can get hurt doing these lifts if you don't know what you're doing and push too hard, and that finding a good box is important to ensure you learn proper technique. If you keep those things in mind I don't think your risk of injury will be higher than on any other program, sans personal training with a highly experienced coach.

• Baller

Today, I just started back into the crossfit gym after a summer of a 1-2x/wk to the gym and lately a few weeks of skiing only. I am the strongest I have ever been skiing 6-8 rides a week many into 41. Last spring when I was not skiing at all, I was working on improving my bar muscle ups and making progress, but they were not great. Today I walked into the gym and busted out the best ones I have ever done, by far, having not tried it for at least 5mo. I found that interesting

When done right, I think they work well together. I also like rock climbing but the gyms and crags are farther away.

• Baller

Not all Crossfit gyms are created equal. There are a lot of good ones and some not so good ones. Just like all fitness trainers or other sports coaches/instructors are not created equal, the same applies to Crossfit. If you're interested in Crossfit, do your own research, become knowledgable about fitness, define your personal goals, then try a few different programs to see if it works for you. Even within the same Crossfit gym, some class sessions can be far better/worse than others depending on who the coach is.

Any Crossfit gym worth considering will probably allow you to drop in for a week or so to see if it works for you. I'd recommend that approach if you're interested. After my recent move to the East Coast, I tried 3 different gyms before joining an awesome one.

@cragginshred...I don't see what you're talking about regarding women who Crossfit out East, or anywhere for that matter, but if I understand your assertion correctly, you feel that women should strive to become attractive to "most men" as a fitness goal?