Insertional Achilles's tendonitis

jetpilotg4

• Baller
Anybody else end up diagnosed with this? It all started early in the season by trying to use the back of foot to unblock my trailer. Never bothers me while sking unless I come out of my bindings in some sort of fall, or when i first get up in the morning. Just wondering how long it takes to begin improving with rest, or if i should consider cortisone shot and walking boot option. Or is there any physical therapy options?

• Baller
My podiatrist doesn't like to inject cortisone near the achillies he feels there is too much of a risk from bad things happening in that area with needles. You can use one of those sleeping boots to try to gently stretch it out. I work from home and when I was having achillies problems I wore one while working and it seemed to help.

• Baller
Is that the kind that hurts right on the back of the ball of the heel or is your pain higher up? About 2 years ago I had some pain on the back of my right heel where the achilles attached. Just went away with time and some light to moderate stretching.

• Baller

I would go get a pair of those silicone gel heel cups.

i3z5fdp55a8p.png

These do two things - they act like a bit of a heel lift which reduces the tension at rest in the achilles by slacking the calf a bit. They also cushion heel strike and effectively reduce the amount of tension in the achilles when you reach heel off it gait.

Should help you with your symptoms and speed healing.

• Baller
+1 on stretching and rest, my wife suffered a severe Achilles injury 9 years ago, surgery, shockwave, therapy, blood platelet injection, she will never fully recover.... as I did some research through all of this, tight calf muscles cause a lot of the Achilles problems as they are way stronger therefore the Achilles is the weak link.

• Baller
Five to four years ago I had the same problem (every Monday I was limping after 4 sets during the weekend), in the last 3 years I got completely rid of it by doing a combination of things: a) replaced the back boot with an R style, b) used heel gel pads with my dress shoes (all the time) and attached one inside the R-style and a second one in the liner (under an insole), c) a lot of stretching (every day) and d) some strengthening exercises.