Vapor Boot featuring Carbitex Technology

Horton

• Baller

@kc for sure there is. A big upgrade. The liner incorporates Celliant material that is supposed to reduce foot fatique / allow you to me more comfortable. You can read more about it here. http://celliant.com/ Also the new Boa on it is micro adjustable and makes minute adjustments to tightening or loosening the boot a cinch. More on the video on our web page.

http://www.perfski.com/ski/slaloms/waterski-bindings/radar-2018-right-carbitex-vapor-boot.html

• Baller
Most people buy the Vapor boots one size larger than your shoe size. I put the footbed inside of my boot , then cut thin plastic shim stock ( .020" ) in the shape of the footbed and place under liner. This allows you to get the fit you want , and the plastic protects the bottom of the boot from the elevated bosses that hold the threaded inserts of the boot. The plastic also helps the liner release in a crash. The bosses are what tears up the bottom of the liners. Hope this helps someone out there in " Ballerland "

• Baller
I wear 8 1/2 or 9 shoes depending on the brand and I use size 10 vapors. I have a wide foot. Most people tighten the boa laces and run the top laces pretty loose. The laces will adjust to a smaller foot , but can't help in the opposite direction. Radar is so good with their customers , so I am sure they will make you happy with an exchange if you are not able to try them out at a ski shop near you.

• Baller
@gsm_peter no "wide" versions that I've heard of...have had some people go bigger, but if you have a wide foot...might look more at the profile boot as it has a wider last in it. You can heat mold the boots putting on some extra socks may help, but typically best for a normal /narrower foot profile from trying them on with customers. @pregom go 11 for sure to start. Remember the liners can be heat molded to be adjusted if you need a bit more room. @mjnelson who did you buy them from? have you spoken to the shop? thats the first place to try....they can be your advocate...if they are outside warranty...Radar will sometimes offer customers some extra consideration on replacements. Worth a shot.

I've wore them since they came out love them and have the new ones but the only place I've see on all and friends is the back rubber witch will tear out of threads and I see no improvement there wish they would sew them deeper in the seam and back it up with gorilla glue.i cut seam open on my 15 and stuck it back in glued it clamped it they held up fo a while but bit the bullet got the 17 .I guess I should have told them I might have gotten the deal @mjnelson was offered .

• Baller

Anyone have advice on how to test the release of the Vapor Carbitex boot while keeping the boot in returnable condition? FedEx dropped one at my doorstep today, but I want to make sure I can release properly from the boot before I commit to it.

I am currently using Connelly Talon bindings but have to not use the top lace loops for the lower section and keep the cuff laces very loose for my feet to come out. I bought a Vapor boot for my front foot with the hope that I could have a boot with more support but as releasable as my Talon setup.

So, does the binding have to be wet to accurately test its release? Any other factors I need to consider that affect the release?

• Baller
Hey @spicoli does the 2017 Vapor carbitex have that rubber thing in the back by the Achilles/calf area like the 2016??? I hate that thing, I just posted on it today. I've ripped that several times & had to had a back up 2016 new in box (found a sweet deal online this winter so I bought 2). I assumed the 2017 carbitex eliminated that rubber piece? Am I wrong on that?? Otherwise Love the boot & really don't want to change...

• Baller
@cragginshred Thank you for info, I checked the Radar website, it appears Carbitex & Vapor Carbitex are, in fact, the same boot. Really glad Radar got rid of that rubber piece, the new one looks like a good design. I guess it better be for $320, yikes! I'll buy it next spring when my 2016 rips again... FYI I've never had any issues releasing from my Vapors.

• Baller
@OldboyII thanks for the link. After looking at the pictures and still having some doubt I decided to call Radar directly. The woman was very nice on the phone but she didn't know. She'd be happy to get me to the director of boot design/production, but unfortunately... he's in China! LOL see thread below "which skis made in USA." She said he'll send me an email

• Baller
@thager Are there directions that say to remove the liners to dry? Is that what might cause undo stress on the rubber backing? Just curious because I was thinking of trying the carbitex 18's and this thread is making me think twice if people are having durability problems with the rubber backing.

• Baller
I bought a new set of '17's when the Carbotex first came out in late August of '16. A couple months ago I noticed that both front and rear were cracked and starting to tear at the left back seam where the rubber attaches to the other material. I called the dealer and they contacted Radar. They were replaced and shipped 2nd day air, outstanding customer service. (note, I always leave the liners out to dry. They always come out when I pull my feet out)

• Baller

@ShererSkier there are no durability problems. I have been using these bindings since the RS1's. I've probably had 3 or 4 sets. I've had the new Carbitex since early summer. I can only remember one set back in probably 2013 blowing out that rear rubber portion you are speaking of. I'm sure that is part of the release system, nothing last forever. I think the warranty is 2 years so my thought is any thing after 2 years is a plus, also after that time the binding has probably been changed and you would want the new design! This boot has the best liner in the business. Remember, the liner goes in the boot first then you but your foot in. Do not put your foot in the liner and cram your foot and liner in the shell!

Guys, I can not stress enough, follow the instructions when tightening the top lace. Those of you that know me from another thread on this binding understand why I'm stressing this!!!!!!!

• Baller

We've had virtually NO warranties on Vapor boots over the past 2 years. We did see some issues in the first years of the RS-1 Boots and early Strada boots where the rubber cracked or tore...but Radar did a great job of taking care of these. On the new boots...honestly just haven't see the issues...and if they arise, Radar has been good about taking care of them if the boots have had normal usage.

One note...where you store your boots when not being used or drying out makes a BIG difference. If you can keep them in an air conditioned or climate controlled area to dry....it can extend the life of them. We see skiers leave their gear in their boats, put up wet, covered by a boat cover, when the temp is 100 degrees outside...and with all the moisture left to "cook" the boots...its just not ideal for the longevity of them. A little tlc and common sense will go a long way.

Also if you ski alot...at some level your boots WILL wear out. Think of them like running shoes....if you run 3-5 days a week....they will break down and wear out after usage. Ski boots are no different. However, premature cracking / defects should they happen, should be addressed by the dealer you bought them from. I'm amazed how many people call us....having NOT purchased product from us to ask us about "warranty" on products.

Obviously my first question back at them is...

"Have you taken them to the dealer you bought them from?"

and often times their response back is "Oh they can't seem to get an answer"... or "they won't do anything" or "no, we wanted to call you guys because we hear you guys always are great with warranty issues"....

Obviously on some level this is an awkward position for us...but even then, we typically try to help if we can in the hopes of winning a new customer. But please...if you have a good shop by you...who you have a relationship with...support them. And when you have issues, they will be there to support you. Getting the best "price"...is not often getting the best "deal"..especially when you have problems.

Sorry for the rant...but please...support your local pro shop... who in turn can support you.

• Baller
I never take out my liners. I should point out, I ski a lot. So when I get 3-4 months on my 2016 Vapor that's over 150 sets. I've never thought of return/warranty because I ski so much I'd feel like I'm stealing. As said above, things wear out. A couple guys I ski with use hardshells and recommend them but, truthfully, I'm used to the Vapor and I'm so happy with my progress I'd rather stick with what I know and just replace than switch to something that might screw me up. Just last year my goal was running 32mph -22. Now, I'm chasing the -32 pass at 34mph and that boot is all I've skied so I'm hesitant to change because I'm having so much fun, never thought I'd ever be on the -32 loop! So I just keep buying my Vapors... add it to the list, just ordered a new pair of Pro Locks too. But I should try a hardshell for durability... just a little nervous about making a change.

• Baller

Thanks for the info @skierjp I never heard of any issues until I read a few earlier posts and was curious.

I was also curious about how long the bindings would last, If the backing was the area that starts degrading and that being the need for new bindings. I've never seen these boots in person.

• Baller

If liner is kept in shell the space between liner and shell is a zone with very low air exchange, so moisture stays much longer. Even if the liner looks and feels dry.

Ideal place for bacterial and fungal contamination. They like when cozy and warm ;)

• Baller

Skied my first time today on my new Vapor Carbitex boot. Very, very different from what I've been on and it took a few passes to start to get used to it.

I've been on Connelly Talon boots for the past five years -- my understanding is that they're similar to HO xMax and Radar Vector boots. I kept my rear Talon but bought a Vapor boot for my front foot.

Using all the lower lace loops in the Talons my feet will not come out easily even with the cuff bungee laces very loose. I adapted by not using the highest lace loops on the lower section, but this created a less secure feeling that I never liked. So, I decided to try a Vapor boot. I wear a size 12 street shoe but have a narrow foot, so I bought a size 12 Vapor boot and it is clearly the right size for me.

First thing I did this morning was dip the ski in to get everything wet, put my foot in the boot and clamped down the Boa and left moderate snugness in the upper bungee lace. I then conducted a release test and felt comfortable with the release, so I got into both bindings and hopped in the water for my first pass (I'm a 15-offer).

The Vapor felt so different (crazy stiff!) I missed the gate and then skied gently inside the balls through the course. Same thing on the second pass, but I started to get a feel for it a little more. Third pass I decided to be a little more aggressive and just mentally get past the different feeling and I was able to make the pass. I stayed on my "opener" for the rest of the set to get used to it (-15/30mph).

By the end of my first set (8 passes) I was undeniably feeling the benefits of the stiffer boot. I started feeling so much more confident in my pulls because I felt like this boot allowed me to hold my edge so much better. I also found that when I bobbled in the turn and lost my angle I was much more easily able to regain my angle than on my old boot. I was sold! The Vapor boot is unquestionably a big performance upgrade from my previous boot. I also did another release test after my first set and my foot/liner slid right out. I was amazed that my foot could feel so locked in and stable, but yet the release was smooth and easy.

I skied 10 passes in my second set and never felt any cramping in my foot. However, the Vapor is certainly not nearly as comfy as the Talon boot. I feel like I'm in a cushy couch in the Talon, but of course, that was part of the problem -- cushy couches don't give you the edge control I wanted.

I only skied 6 passes in my third set, but I got up to my personal best and feel like as I get more accustomed to the Vapor boot they are going to help me take my skiing further. This boot is one of my best gear purchases yet.

• Baller
@TallSkinnyGuy - once you heat mold the liner, you will experience an increase in comfort. I don;t know much about the Talon, but you will find the combination of the molded liner and the boot to be pretty much ideal. Enjoy!