WHEN??? 2018 SUPREME CARBON PRO Open Bow

Dacon62

• Baller
We own the 2012 that @LeonL is talking about and I will fully admit that starting at 35 there is a considerable amount of spray with a headwind. If the wind is calm, I don't notice it. I have skied behind 3 or 4 CPs and have noticed pretty much the same thing on all of them. As far as handling its not a 200 and no one claims it is. This year I got to drive our CP, a couple 200s, a new TXi and a new MC. When I drove the TXi it moved more with a 130 pound 28 off B3 skier than the CP when I'm driving a 150 pound 38 off skier. The MC was fine but nothing noteworthy, I wouldn't buy that over the CP because of how it drives...

• Baller
@bishop8950 We have 100 pounds of ballast (2 bags that came with the boat) in line with the ballast tank. Just easier to keep the weight consistent IMO. Ive moved the weights around with no real luck. Driver weighs about 170-180. we used to use nearly a full ballast tank but never noticed the spray getting any better with that either

• Baller

I'm on my 4th Carbon Pro. Every year has driven better due to minor modifications in the set-up from the factory. They have been fine tuning the steering characteristics since 2012. The 11/12 boats had the rudder offset. When they put the runner in-line with the shaft, it was much better and they've made other adjustments since then.

If you have a 13 or later boat and it doesn't drive well, theres some tuning you probably need to do to make it better.

My 17 is @Roger 's favorite boat to drive. It's just plain fun since you can feel the skier better than the other boats. Yes, it pivots a bit like old school boats, but its very controllable and predictable.

Regarding the pull, I get the most positive comments from the longer line/slower skiers as the wake is very good there.

Agree with many here...everyone want's a less expensive boat. The CP is considerably less. Has the same engine as the CC without all the extra's that jack up the price and as good if not better wakes over all the line lengths.

It's built for skiing. That's what it does best.

Mine is available to test drive/ski in South Florida for anyone interested.

Paul

• Baller

Paul's description is spot on. I have pulled several skiers into 41 with his boats (including Nick Parsons who tied his PB with 3@41) and really enjoy it. Each year, the tracking has improved with his current boat being excellent in this regard. The first time I drove it was for his skiing partner Lee Mershon who is a Men 8, 30mph/49k skier who skies into 38/11.25. I was totally impressed with how much less input it required than the previous boat. Does it require a bit more input than a 200? Yes. Can it be driven within record tolerance at any speed with any skier? Yes.

It seems like every skier I pull in tournaments with one of these that hasn't skied behind one before asks either "Where is the wake?" or "Was that a slow time?"

It's a great boat!

• Baller

Just an Old Man’s opinion that has had 3 event ski boats since 1978.

I love my 2014 Carbon Pro with the 5.7 engine. I was told it was used in the 2014 or 2015 Southern regionals (not for sure which). The rudder was tuned by the Kentucky promo guy that had it and it drives very well for me. As others have stated you can feel the boat move a little more than the heaver boats. But I found when I first got the boat I tended to over steer it. Once I drove with a softer touch it tracks very well. Also best built and designed trailer I have ever had. Boat drives on very easy and fits the trailer perfect.

Most skiers I pull only get to 38 off. I would love to pull some 39's but talent is limited at our club. Best gas mileage boat I have ever had. Plenty of power with the 5.7 engine. A 6.0 engine must feel like a rocket.

All I wanted was a basic slalom tug to use at our private ski lake. I did not want fancy screens or gadgets. My boat does have a heater, radio and special lighting which I did not want but it came with the boat.

My Zero off is the most current version with the standard Zero Off display.

As for quality, not for sure about the Stripped down comments. I looked at all the 2014 model boats before buying my carbon Pro. It's quality was no less than any of the other big three and better than some of the big three. I was so sad to see this boat will no longer be sold as a Centurion Carbon pro any longer. Centurion has always built high quality products.

If my CP got destroyed for example in a wreak and I had to buy another boat today, I would be looking for a 2014 model or later Carbon Pro. The wake does not hurt my old man bad ankle at any line length and it is a high quality well designed Slalom boat.

My only con is that I wish the ski platform was 3 inches wider. Being a fat old guy I barley fit on that narrow ski platform.

If you are looking for good basic Slalom boat used mainly for slalom course skiing I highly recommend the 2014 CP and later models. If I got another one I would try to get the 6.0 engine just because I am a horsepower junkie. The 5.7 has more than enough power for slalom.

Oldmanskier

• Baller
@oldmanskier my buddies bought a 6.0 liter CP and it is a rocket. First time I skied it I tried to adjust my hands after get up when most boats are slowly coming up to speed. I almost lost the handle because the boat was accelerating so hard. Fun to drive too.

• Administrators
@dw in the first few years of the CP they moved the prop shaft and some (all?) of the hardware under the boat slightly off center. When I got my first CP was after the change so I do not know how big of a difference it made.

• Baller

@LeonL , I don't know the answer to that but I assumed the same as @JackQ ... maintenance reasons. I don't have a full history of the actual changes, just conversations with Centurion every year I got a new boat and it drove better. Some of the later changes were slight changes in weight distribution/engine location that improved tracking.

I have theories as to why some boats drive well and some don't and it goes back to a balance of tension in the hull/running gear. Generally if a boat is perfectly symmetrical in the hull and running gear, it would not drive well. But if there is some amount of tension due to a tracking fin offset/angled or favorable warping on one side of the hull, then I think it could make for a better driving boat.

I'm a software guy, not an engineer, so take it for what it's worth, but it helps with possible explanations as to why same year boats can drive so differently, even with similar rudder torque.

• Baller
@Live2ski There could be a bit more spray in the 11-'12 boats, my understanding was some tweaks were made in '13 to improve tracking but might have also effect spray. I have heard of rudder alignment but also the engine was moved slightly, there may have been other adjustments. You might also try running one or both of those weight bags up front in the nose of the bow. I have 65lbs up there, and use just one bag and the ballast tank to balance the boat, if the boat isn't balanced you certainly might have some spray at 38-41 (some day I hope to find out!) @DW sorry we didn't get to run any passes this year....2018 for sure!

• Baller
I skied an early CP a few times and it had a noticeable bump at 34mph at 22 and 28off. The next time was at the BOS tournament in Austin last year. Didn't notice any bump on the newer boats. They must have move the motor or made some hull changes changes?

• Baller

Not yet Sorry...was able to get some intel. Unfortunately it was confidential and any useful information I was asked not to share. I know, I know thanks for nothing!

I can say the size, configuration, power and price point will make it contender.

Don’t you wish these companies would only let you know a few months before something new hits?

This drawn out waiting period sucks!!