New Boat!!!!! and a couple rants and raves

ScottScott

• Baller

Don’t go to a boat show…..you may end up spending some money. We went to the boat show a couple months ago that re-sparked interest in a new boat. This time, things got a little more serious. Lots of looking at different boats, putting down a deposit on one that took about a month before they had that model in town to test drive, then it just didn’t meet our needs. We finally turned focus on the Prostars deciding we were ready for a dedicated ski boat, I already knew that was my favorite boat of the primary ski boat options, tho we did look pretty closely at one 200. Got a couple weeks into negotiations on a Prostar, financing approved etc, then they sold it out from under us…. showed up for a test drive with a different boat. So we continued looking around, finding one we liked, but a little farther away. After inquiring about it, conversations proceeded until we had a deal done within a couple days. Just picked it up Friday, and can’t be happy enough with our purchase. Perfect colors for us, great wake, many great ergonomic features. After enjoying it over the weekend despite some windy days, its all we thought it would be.

2ovarp3p05cs.jpg

Rave: The boat, and Mastercraft. The build, and ergonomics seem to be top notch. We constantly find things that standout in terms of being well thought out. And the wake…..or lack there of….

Rave: Bennetts Boat and Ski, in particular Steve that we dealt with. Great/classy color combination they chose. Straight up dealing and very helpful in making the deal work for us. Immaculate boat, even after spending the summer working the ski school. Everything you hope you encounter in a dealer when making a major purchase.

Rant: The weather. You get a new boat on Friday and end up with high winds all weekend.

Rant: The former Mastercraft dealer, particularly Rich the salesman we dealt with, that sold the boat in negotiations out from under us. Weeks had gone on in negotiations, partly due to a brief interruption as a hurricane passes through. There’s a lot more to this story than needs to be described here, just to say there were multiple lies in attempt to cover up the fact that they sold it and tried to make us go away, then they show up for a test drive with a different boat. Good news for skiers in the future is, they aren’t Mastercraft dealers anymore. They had already stopped selling boats and just had a little inventory left. Just beware buying cars in the Winter Haven Fl. area.

• Baller
Steve is a great guy to deal with and the Bennett family are great people. I seen that boat and you bought an awesome one, they look after their boats better than anyone! If your looking for a MC new or used Bennett's is the way to go!

• Baller
@Roger Similar coloring to the one we got. More white, blue on the mid sides going into a black point toward the front. Interior was blue and white. Nice thing about that boat was very low hour 2016 (add stated 22hours?) We ended up with more hours, but a 2017 and we like the colors better (exterior and interior.) Just glad that previous dealer is no longer involved with Mastercraft. Rich is a used car salesman (literally and figuratively) I've heard of others with issues with these guys.

• Baller
@ScottScott - Thanks, not the boat I though it was. I bought my boat from them while they were still a dealer, but I worked with the owner and had a great experience. I will say that the couple of times I've had to deal with Rich were a disaster each time. Anyway, the boat dealership was sold and moved to Orlando. Enjoy your new boat!

• Baller

@Roger Actually, they were the Mastercraft dealer in Orlando, in association with Ski World, and their location in Winter Haven. They just got out of the boat business all together. So currently there isn't a Mastercraft dealer in central Florida. There is rumor of a major Mastercraft dealer in another part of the country opening a central Florida location soon.

Someone bought the other boat, and we have no hard feelings to them at all. They got a great boat, and tho we were pretty discouraged at the time we ended up with a boat that we actually like better, and now we have a relationship with Bennetts....who is everything a boat dealer should be. It was a long frustrating journey, but the end results were worth it.

• Baller
I'm glad it worked out for you. I have established with the local dealer (Southeast Mastercraft) here in South Florida and so far they have been excellent. When the 14 Mastercraft was introduced, Okeeheelee was nearly 100% Nautique. Yesterday morning while I was at the lake, there were 4 Mastercrafts, 1 Centruion and 2 Nautiques. There are still a lot more Nautiques than other brands, but it is changing. Nothing against the Nautique, it's a wonderful boat, I just prefer the Mastercraft (after 4 Nautiques).

• Baller
I think a lot has to do with time/development etc. The 200 came out in 2011, the prostar just came out in '14. I'm sure the 2018 Nautique will be another game changer. Everything about the Mastercraft really seems to be top quality and well thought out. With limited knowledge and research I think they really excel at the quality control area, its a well built and designed boat.

• Baller
200 came out in 2010. With the Mastercraft change in 2014, it was about them getting the tracking under control. I felt the 2016 (at least one 2015 I drove was good) was when the tracking came to up to snuff. The Nautique still has the edge, but the other boats have closed the gap in recent years.

• Baller_
I know this: the owner of Action Water Sports is a 38 off skier, supports tournaments in our State, has brought Pro events here, maintains a healthy promo program, and is a great guy. So, it could be a solid match.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
In Sept. I purchased a 2017 Prostar consignment boat with under 5 hrs on it through Bennett's. Steve was awesome to deal with. They got my check on Wed and shipped it 1200 miles to me with U ship. I was skiing behind it Sat.

• Baller
I love my 2015 ProStar. I owned a 14 with the 5.7, the 15 has the 6.2. Other than that the boats are the same from an options standpoint. However, even though MC (I asked the CEO) says that they haven't changed anything since 2014, I can tell you my 2015 is tighter and drives better than the 2014. I suspect incremental improvement continues, as is true with Malibu, and CC, I'm sure. Anyway, congrats on your new boat! I'm approaching 300 very happy hours on mine!

• Baller
I was lucky enough to ski with Scott on the madden voyage. I am not sure if I was invited or I invited myself. It is truly a beautiful Boat inside and out. The lack of wakes is a good way to describe skiing behind it. Sunday I had to ski behind my old 2008 196 tug. Thanks, Scott I see a new boat somewhere in my future

• Baller
Back home I dug around a little more. @vtjc looks like you are correct that it is going to be Action Water Sports Florida. Not sure exactly how you got to the link you found, but when I did a dealer search for an orlando zipcode on the mastercraft site it took me to a map that showed a dot right at Polk City, where the water ski hall of fame is/used to be, listed as Action Water Sports Florida (nothing in orlando directly.) The confusing part is that there is a kayak/paddle board shop in auburndale fl (very close to Polk city) that is called Action Watersports (doesn't appear to be affiliated.) So, end result is....as @lpskier and vtjc both said.... Action Water Sports Florida, the dealer that has a couple sites already in Michigan appears to be opening a Mastercraft Dealership in florida to serve central florida at the former water ski hall of fame location in Polk City.

After 21 years of Nautiques, we jumped ship to the Prostar in 2016. Bought it from Jay Bennett. Steve Crichley is the best. Buying a Ski School boat from Jay can not be bested. New boat warranty and the boats are immaculate. My wife and I are at 30 and 32 mph respectively. There is simply no better wake out there.